Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Underrail

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Both games look decent to me (for their budget). The women look like dudes though.

If I made a game the grafics would be worse than UR/AoD but I guarantee the women would look better.

Preview of Exc game models.

ellierender.jpg

Jazz_

Arcane
I'm not trying to discredit Styg, I’m trying to give credit where credit is due. In this case, trying to give credit to someone who actually did the art that you arbitrarily attributed to Styg just to make “my favorite developer is better than yours” childish contest. Do you even heard yourself? The fact that you keep talking about Styg when you mention the art just proves my point. Your compliments should be redirected to some anonymous individuals that you don’t ever bother to know who it is because you are a simple-minded individual desperate to create an idol. At least I have the common sense of knowing who is responsible for each segment of what in AoD. It was Oscar. So your developers dick contest should involve Oscar and anonymous dudes, not Vince and Styg, you mongrel. Of course, you don’t care about that because you are just interested in sucking developer’s dick and repeating arbitrary nonsense created on forums. And how the hell the art in AoD is inconsistent? Well, it wasn’t. You just decided to conjure this nonsense out of thin air.

Are you fucking kidding me? :lol:
You said that Styg didn't create any art, and that's true, he paid some artists and I linked the portfolio of one of said artists (Mark Wowk) while you didn't, you just wanted to shit on Styg. You also reiterated on that ''the artist who Styg paid could not hold a candle to Vinnie'' implying that VD did indeed create the art for the game, which he didn't apparently, so basicly you shot yourself in the foot and exposed yourself again for the not so bright fanboy with an agenda you are. There's no developers dick contest as far as I'm concerned, I don't even know what Styg and VD did in their respective games, I only know the artists who worked for Underrail because I was compelled to look for their work as I was impressed with it, that didn't happen in AoD hence my ignorance about who did the art. And you brought up the whole AoD dick contest thing, as you always do when Underrail is discussed, and I merely gave my opinion on that. You of course went mad and on insane inconsequential rants (you hate muh favorite game, you must liek popamole, graphic whore, buahhh :lol:). Oh well,
fanboy.png
gonna
fanboy.png

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Darth Roxor passing out Goldfists like candy to anyone who shits on the game because he's too lazy to walk his character around unless it's wearing rocket skates and there are fast travel nodes literally everywhere—premier poster and contributor to the Codex, 2017.

As we all know, inclined game design is based on moving you from exposition point to exposition point as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Regardless, you reviewed Age Of Teleportation positively while crying than in Underrail you have to do stuff

Which makes the infamous teleports in AoD seem so cool and well thought, huh?

if only there was some sort of middle ground that could be attained :philosoraptor:

Perhaps fast travel points at only two orthagonals of each room rather than all four would be a happy medium for you?

Also, the character only moves at approximately the speed of a skateboarding Marty McFly hitching a ride on Biff's car, rather than 88 MPH.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Three orthagonals per room, and the character moves at the speed of an Asian woman crashing through the front wall of Bed Bath & Beyond after hitting the gas instead of the brake. Best I can do.

orcinator

Liturgist
You mean, like this

images

or this?

images

or this?

b_134322.jpg

You know, if this is not good enough for you, you would be better playing Triple-A games with the rest of popamoles. Genuine cRPG players tend to care more about things such as character building, writing, quests, reactivity, etc; you know, the things that really matter in a cRPG. But that is assuming that you really mean the things you said. I suspect you are just conjuring bullshit out of thin air for the sake of bad mouth a game you don't know.

Even ants can tell that AoD looks like puke dude.

(though having a grafix discussion when both games look bad by last decade' standards is silly)

Ok, setting aside the matter of whether coming to a discussion about one game to shill for another is silly or pathetic (or both), I think we can all agree that TW3 has the better graphics.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I very much like Underrail's consistent art direction, i.e. lack of saturation, and selective use of saturation. It doesn't look grimdark despite that which seems contradictory at first.

Given project size, you'd kinda expect mismatched generic asset packs, but here not at all.

Wish characters had proper move speed on diagonals %^&*()

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
So fucking tempted to make an alt account just to troll Lurkerking and the AoD fanboys.

Anyways, Underrail is great but like other posters have already mentioned it's not without it's faults (walking speed, writing, respawns, backtracking)

You came off bit too biased MediantSamuel but otherwise, good job for your first review :salute:

Lhynn

Arcane
My only problem with the game, other than a retarded character that ruins the story is the stupid nerfs to skills and feats post launch, very weak shit.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Quite a nice review.

Highlighted some of the 'Aces' such as Crafting, Combat and Character Creation options. C&C&C&C or aka C4.

Some people like collecting stuff and tinkering and comparing to see if they can get a +5% on something or what not. It's a nice escape and you don't have to do it although many people have said Crafting is very important to be a success in the game. I spent quite a bit of time trying to improve my armour and then pondering whether making your own potions factory would be worth it. I then started to focus on the advanced techno gear before I stopped playing.

I thought the character creation and development element was very well done. If I had time I would try and do a melee and then a gun character. Still might do. It seems you could become expertise in maybe 3-4 skills so you could mix a bit. I also liked the various tools that can be used to open stuff - and the funny little image that comes on screen.

The review was a bit too positive though - would like to have seen a bit more criticism although you mention the non-map and endless walking.

I think I could work around not having a map, that could be solved by my own repeated play and muscle memory. Maybe even a little pad and paper.

Endless walking around to and fro is a biggy in my opinion. Even Ultima 4 and Bards Tale 1 implemented some sort of travel devicing and I would imagine the designers of this game could have introduced something to save time.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
when both games look bad by last decade' standards

They actually look better lol. They look better than PoE e.g., I can see many details on a character in DR and in Underrail, while I have problems to see it in other games.
Maybe it is a problem becauseI'm using a notebook, and not a real monitor.
Anyway I can't honestly say that Underrail and Age of Decadence look bad.
Art there is better then in like 95% of games.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Age of decadence looks fugly as hell, the fact that you have to zoom far the fuck out to hide details and make it somewhat passable should have given that away. The animations are stiff, the graphics are low detail and if it wasnt for the color pallete id have troubles telling what game it is.
Underrail has a very distinct look and feel that fit perfectly with the atmosphere. We dont have to see ugly as shit graphics like those we get in krai mira or wasteland 2. Underrail simply nails it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom