Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex Top 70 PC RPGs (Now with User Reviews!)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Back in January, esteemed community member felipepepe staged a vote so we could find out what our community's all-time best computer RPGs actually are these days. As a result, we got a hefty list, with graphs and stuff, of 70 titles - or actually a bit more: some games were tied, so you may notice that this Top 70 list features more games than just seventy. Then we asked our users to submit mini-reviews for the games that made it on the list. Around 50 Codexers and one Watch spy took the call, and here's what came out of it.

I'll quote the winner here for you, but be sure to check out the full list.

Jasede: Ah, wretched Planescape: Torment, always Planescape: Torment. This game is so hard to sell. I've many times attempted to get people to play it, only for them to get bored before leaving the mortuary or the bar outside it. If they do keep playing despite that, they are met with terribly shallow encounter design and an RPG system that seems more like a strange cross between Choose Your Own Adventure books and an adventure game, based around puzzles and conversations. Even calling it an RPG is almost a matter of some debate. So why then does this game hold such a high place to so many of us?

The biggest reason is that this game has shown us that story-based games can work. Often likened to a playable novel, PS:T tells the engrossing tale of a man in search of his past - or pasts. Starting from the tired cliché of amnesia, PS:T quickly draws those who will accept it for what it is, warts and all, into an engrossing tale of redemption, love and treachery, covering succinctly many of man's desires and shortcomings. While nobody is going to suggest this is the same level as classic literature, this is the game that showed us that video game writing can be above average, can indeed conjure up fantastic worlds and allow us to visit them. Not one NPC in PS:T does not have an interesting story, not one description of text or snippet of party banter an enticing tidbit that teaches us about the odd, foreign world that the tale occurs in.

PS:T invites us to a strange journey, and those who accept the invitation will, if they have the patience to read the game's copious walls of text, find themselves drawn to into an experience that they are not likely to ever forget.

MicoSelva: Probably the best story in any video game ever, Planescape: Torment is much more than just that. Allowing the player to explore one of the most unique worlds in the history of computer RPGs and interact with some of the most interesting characters ever created, PS:T is also a very solid game underneath it all. Everything you do in this game matters: how you create your character and develop it, how you approach people and what you say to them, what you do and what you decide not to do.

Torment will destroy your assumptions about what to expect from a fantasy RPG, as it comes with zero elves, zero dwarves and only two swords in the whole game, and it will also leave you wanting more from every RPG you play afterwards. Obviously it's not perfect (nothing is), with combat especially in need of some improvement, but so far it is as close to perfection as it gets.

Grunker: This game is unlike anything I'd ever played before or have played since. Everything was strange, and you never knew what to expect. One of the things I miss the most about games from the years past is the feeling of being thrust into a completely alien world, where nothing can be expected and everything is new and surprising. Oh yeah, and "DON'T TRUST THE *spoiler*". That moment was singed into my brain; it's probably the most memorable gaming moment for me.

Planescape: Torment is a game unlike any other, and thoroughly deserves its top spot on this list.​

Read the full article: RPG Codex Top 70 PC RPGs (Now with User Reviews!)

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Planescape was ranked number one? Unbelievable; truly the codex is suffering from a decline of its own. What was number 2, Oblivion? (you don't seriously think I'm clicking the link, do you?)

absolutely flabbergasted

Delterius

Arcane
Remember when Grunker went to a convention and tried to critique the ups and downs of gaming journalists, going so far to partially justify their general incompetence? Mr. Kotaku Shreier himself accused the RPG Codex of trying to dequalify all other journalists and telling its readers to 'trust the Codex and only the Codex'.

It just so happens that the Codex is a forum with a frontpage. And I'm sure you'll agree you can't pay someone enough to moderate or work for this place. This is a place of passion and partial insanity where people can contribute to the community by their own reviews. This is what the list is: a group of like minded folks making sure people can easily access why we remember some works more than others, trying to raise awareness to some of the most unique gems of the RPG world.

So thanks everyone for your work.:love:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
yes, thanks everyone for your work. Wake me up when you stop breathing through your mouth and start playing games worth the download. I'd sooner play snake on my phone than PST, such fail, so much decline

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
yes, thanks everyone for your work. Wake me up when you stop breathing through your mouth and start playing games worth the download. I'd sooner play snake on my phone than PST, such fail, so much decline
Some of us do like jRPGs, son, when done well.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

pity post

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer

:mhd:

^^^ Likely based off a PST Character, but I won't pretend that I played long enough to find out. A million hours of terrible writing was enough, thanks!

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Applause.

tumblr_msjr0z1PmG1sgl0ajo1_500.gif

DeepOcean

Arcane

^^^ Likely based off a PST Character, but I won't pretend that I played long enough to find out. A million hours of terrible writing was enough, thanks!
Really? Say a game is shit on the everything is shit forum? Man, work on your trolling.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer

Really? Say a game is shit on the everything is shit forum? Man, work on your trolling.

It's not trolling, it's the truth. Not everything is shit; there are games on the list that deserve to be there, and ought to be bumped up a tonne of spots. But apparently the codex is populated by children still going gaga at the infinity engine and its fallout twin

Zdzisiu

Arcane

It's not trolling, it's the truth. Not everything is shit; there are games on the list that deserve to be there, and ought to be bumped up a tonne of spots. But apparently the codex is populated by children still going gaga at the infinity engine and its fallout twin
And pray tell my good man, what are those games on the list that deserve to be bumped up a tonne of spots?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer

And pray tell my good man, what are those games on the list that deserve to be bumped up a tonne of spots?

Where do I start? Darklands, the Ultimas, the Geneforges, the System Shocks, the list goes on. Then lets go to the games that aren't even on the list, apparently there wasn't enough room given the fantastic "witcher" and "witcher 2" and who can forget the brilliant "Dragon Age" and "Star wars" (a movie series literally made for people who aren't mature enough to appreciate Star Trek). Seeing how loose the term "RPG" has become, why isn't Mario on the list? Or couldn't you lot decide between that and sonic the hedgehog.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom