Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex Top 70 PC RPGs (Now with User Reviews!)

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm not a troll, or is criticising the poor decisions made on this list verboten?

This list is seriously embarrassing, it's that bad.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Then joined me in my campaign to get Borderlands 2 on the list. THE VOTING WAS RIGGED!

Together we could see justice done!

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Hmmm, never played Borderlands 2, let's see...

Borderlands 2 is an action role-playing first-person shooter video game (...)
:excellent:

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm not a troll, or is criticising the poor decisions made on this list verboten?

Who cares about the ranking? - this list features many great games from the past up to the present day and it is a good read for old and new CRPG enthusiasts.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Who cares about the ranking? - this list features many great games from the past up to the present day and it is a good read for old and new CRPG enthusiasts.

Sure, it features many great games. But you could play half the list and still be looking for just one.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Never before has there been a more delicious wall of text. The Codex led me to many great games and if I hadn't stumbled in here I would've remained ignorant and declined forever. Thank you everyone! Very nice work!!!
:bro::love:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Seeing how loose the term "RPG" has become, why isn't Mario on the list? Or couldn't you lot decide between that and sonic the hedgehog.
I don't give a fuck for your or anyone's definition of RPG. MCA doesn't consider System Shock 2 a RPG, should remove it from the list, missing the opportunity of showing a fantastic hybrid to thousands of readers? Hell no, the only thing being anal about a definition will result is in great hybrids or "arguable RPGs" being left out, and that doesn't benefit absolutely anyone. We're recommending games for people to play here, not making an essay on the definition of RPGs.
If it were for me, the list would go to 250-300, and feature games that would make you howl in horror. Luckily for you, here I was more limited, but on my next project... :dance:

Last edited:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Looking at the list, everything is fine despite not agreeing with rankings but that not important, then I get to Mass Effect.

Really guys, Mass Effect, really, its a piece of shit. Were you so desperate to put recent game on the list so you were forced to pick that.

It would be better if you recommended Skyrim, atlest it has mods to make it playable.

Shame on you!

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Complaints about the list content and rankings were relevant months ago, when the votes were tallied and the list compiled. Today is the day to be complaining about user reviews.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Whoo, finally out, and looking pretty nice. It was fun writing some mini-reviews.

Hoping for much rage at the rankings.:smug:

joelofdeath

Educated
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Excellent job felipepepe and everyone involved.

I could complain about how the reviews of [insert favourite game] don't truly capture the amazing [insert favourite attributes], but that would just be petty. Great stuff!

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
This list seems like a much more enjoyable read that Matt Barton's book which I suffered from beginning to end.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Good job everyone. A wonderful collection here. A perfect entry to the Codex approved RPG.
BTW, I hope that EVERYONE is clicking on those banners to see the high-res screenshots.
Haven't read the whole thing yet, but as far as screenshots are concerned, I love those for Pool of Radiance.

Cassidy

Arcane
The arguments in defense for Alphail Protoshit are ridiculous, as expected from blind Obsidian fanboys.

Obsidian's best game and an underappreciated classic

Am I at NeoGAF or Obsidian Forums by mistake? There is nothing classic about it, and rather than underappreciated, it is vastly overrated within the Codex by the usual suspects.

AP was released after the first two Mass Effect games, and it is best understood as a direct response to (and vastly superior copy of) those braindead corridor shooters of fake choice and minimal consequence.

It is not a "better" clone or response to Mass Effect, and even if it were, a better shit still is as much of a shit as the worse shit. And even were I to disregard my opinion popamole cover shooters are intrinsically and inevitably shit games because such is an inherently bad mechanic that handicaps a game so those handicapped by their own stupidity and by gamepads filled with residues of Doritos and Mountain Dew can enjoy it better without feeling frustrated they cannot unlock an achievement, its other nextgen features such as minigames and checkpoint railroads remain as terrible as ever.

Alpha Protocol's obnoxiously vocal detractors claim that its boring, glitchy, and often infuriatingly unbalanced stealth and combat gameplay (particularly heavily inspired by ME) is a major flaw. This is not true, because AP's core gameplay revolves around manipulating people through dialogue, tweaking your mission parameters by picking the best (or most hilarious) handler for the job, choosing the order of your high-priority missions to maximize (or minimize?) the body count, and generally deciding exactly what shade of cool you are.

Alpha protocol is a cover shooter first and foremost, a try for Obsidian to gain a slice of the dudebro popamole console market where Gears of Wars, at the time, were the king, stop deluding yourselves. To say the core of a game where you'll spend most of your time shooting in horrible combat system or watching cutscenes that often steal player agency is about manipulating people through an equally bad dialogue system is seriously deceptive and dishonest.

unparalleled reactivity and nonlinearity

Alright, I'll stop quoting those blatant lies aware the writers are so blinded in their fanboyism they will never wake up, and just get to the general point: there is almost nothing good about Alpha Protocol. Behold some of its features:

Shit and frustrating minigames, clipping bugs that force you to replay that bad mission another time because the character got stuck, almost 100% linear, horrible level design where almost always the only possible "stealth" is a special invisibility "skill" with cooldowns(except for a single mission in a CIA base of operations in Rome), character advancement based on popamole skills with cooldowns and uncreative boosts, NPC conversation system with EXTREME/Suave/Neutral/Etc and QTE, cutscenes removing player agency, heavy scripting, popamole combat with the expected incompetence of Obsidian in designing action, checkpoint system that gives away how linear and consoletarded it ultimately is, and then to crown this pile of turd:

Fucking Quality Choices and consequences such as a few less moles to pop in a Rome mission if Shaheed is spared and the change in the color of the uniform of the dudebros who support Thorton Shepard in another session of popamole in a certain mission depending on which side is picked, so ridiculous, cheap and lazy to the point even the scripted spawn locations for the soldiers of the two factions available to pick are the same no matter which side you choose.

I couldn't give a fuck on how a cheap voice acted broadcast without any video explains how things ended differently because of dialogue choices in conversation QTE in the ending. A character that gets boned once and Thorton Shepard barely cares about vs. the lives of hundreds in Rome, and no real fallout, genial C&C, Obsidian, and I could continue listing on and on but I think this suffices for anyone not blinded in fanboyism.

That is how this excremental piece truly is. If it was a only CYOA book or CYOA E-Book, it would be decent, but as a game and the sum of all its parts, it is shit and its story is severely overrated as well, being passable at best and below mediocre at worst, while some of its characters outdo the obnoxious ones from that shit Old World Blues New Vegas DLC.

tl;dr Alpha Protocol is the most overrated piece of shit in the Codex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom