Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex Top Non-RPG PC Games RESULTS!

Jrpgfan

Erudite
X-COM 2012 received a lot of votes because a lot of people said "X-COM Enemy Unknown" instead of "X-COM Ufo Defense".

Actually, I also think now that felipepepe assigned too many points to the new XCOM. Here is his list:

qGHyQdP.png

When you see people voting only for old classics, then it doesn't make sense to assume that they meant the new XCOM, even if they wrote it without hyphen.

This is 5 points that should go to the original:

5 Points:
  1. Panzer General
  2. XCOM Enemy Unknown
  3. Close Combat A Bridge 2 Far
  4. Grim Dawn
  5. Master of Orion 2

This one meant indeed the new XCOM, since most games in his list are new and XCOM 2 has even more points:

5 points:
  1. Xenonauts
  2. Voidspire Tactics
  3. XCOM 2
  4. Shadow Warrior(2013)
  5. Prince of Persia - the two thrones

3 points:
  1. Space Rangers 2
  2. Conquest Elysium 4
  3. Dominions 4
  4. XCOM: Enemy unknown
  5. The Walking Dead (a telltale games series)

This one voted for both, so it is clear:

5 Points:
1. UFO: Enemy Unknown
2. Unreal Tournament
3. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
4. Age of Wonders 2
5. Minecraft

However, here we have another 1 point that belongs to the original:

5 points

Monkey Island 2
Heroes of Might and Magic III
Hitman Silent Assassin
Championship Manager/Football Manager
Thief 2

3 points

System Shock 2
Duke Nukem 3D
GTA San Andreas and Vice City
Full Throttle

1 Point

Age of Empires 2
Age of Mythology
Civ 3
C&C Red Alert
Medieval Total War
Xcom

And here is another one with mostly old games where the "XCOM" was counted as the new one, but is really the old:

5: UT99, Starcraft, Dystopia (source mod), Star Wars: X-Wing, Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
3: Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl, Warcraft 3, Crusader Kings 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Doom 2
1: Simcity: 2000, XCOM, Myst, Megarace, Thief, NEOTOKYO, AoE 2, Top Gun, Worms: Armageddon, Solitaire

This one I have as "X-COM: Enemy Unknown" in my list, but it is actually "UFO: Enemy Unknown":

5 points:
-----------------------------------------------
The Secret of Monkey Island
UFO: Enemy Unknown
Heroes of Might & Magic II
Master of Orion II
Thief II

Overall, 12 more points should go to the original UFO/X-Com, which would put it into 4th place ahead of Starcraft.

You're right, I meant the old xcom.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Let's be honest, Max Payne isn't the 18th best PC game of all time. Not even close.
That's one of the ones that really surprised me. I scarcely played them, but watched some friends and, my god, did those games look boring as hell.

EDIT: Homeworld and the newer 2 of the Jedi Knight series were the others that surprised me.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
When you see people voting only for old classics, then it doesn't make sense to assume that they meant the new XCOM, even if they wrote it without hyphen.

5 Points:
  1. Panzer General
  2. XCOM Enemy Unknown
  4. Grim Dawn
  5. Master of Orion 2
Seriously? The person wrote EXACTLY the name of the 2012 one, including the subtitle and the lack of hyphen, but I should have considered it as a vote for another game because he mostly voted for old games? That's crazy, even if holla_cabezas_de_mierda confirms this, he's just confirming that he voted wrong.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

5 Points:
  1. Panzer General
  2. XCOM Enemy Unknown
  4. Grim Dawn
  5. Master of Orion 2
Seriously? The person wrote EXACTLY the name of the 2012 one, including the subtitle and the lack of hyphen, but I should have considered it as a vote for another game because he mostly voted for old games? That's crazy, even if holla_cabezas_de_mierda confirms this, he's just confirming that he voted wrong.

Even if you discount his vote, the other three are enough to place the game in 4th place instead of 5th.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Ninjerk's and Jrpgfan's votes were already counted for the old one, so it just gets the 5 points from the szaretrilby vote and wins over Starcraft by a single point.

I REALLY think you guys are focusing on the wrong thing if you think the ranking is what's important here (especially with stuff like Max Payne, Duke Nukem 3D and Vice City on top) but whatever...

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Ninjerk's and Jrpgfan's votes were already counted for the old one, so it just gets the 5 points from the szaretrilby vote and wins over Starcraft by a single point.

I REALLY think you guys are focusing on the wrong thing if you think the ranking is what's important here (especially with stuff like Max Payne, Duke Nukem 3D and Vice City on top) but whatever...

If it puts X-Com ahead of Starcraft I can see nothing wrong

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
While the list mostly aligns with my own in strategy games & outliers like stealth or space sims, it's hilariously arcade in FPS department, with only noticeable exceptions being OFP and SWAT 4.

FPS went wrong with Half-Life

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Jrpgfan's "Xcom" (1 point) is in your second column and I don't see Ninjerk's "XCOM" in either list actually.

Nobody said that ranking is the only thing that matters, but having the correct ranking in the Top 5 does kind of matter in a poll like this.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Why didn't Clive Barker's Undying make the list? Are you fucking kidding me?

Quality diminishes after Lizbeth and really diminishes once you're in Eternal Autumn.
First of all, no, it's a constant quality.
And second, it's like saying that quality diminishes in Deus Ex at some arbitrary point. Who cares? It's a fucking masterpiece.
Quality REALLY takes a dive in VTMB after Chapter 3, and yet it's a top5 game.

The reason Undying didn't make top-200 is because it's extremely obscure to this day, apparently. Which I find surprising and makes me want to pity everyone who didn't play it.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Just count X-Com and X-Com remake together.

I'm assuming that Pirates! and the Pirates! remake were also counted together.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Just count X-Com and X-Com remake together.

I'm assuming that Pirates! and the Pirates! remake were also counted together.
What about Pirates Gold?
"Pirates Gold" was merely a graphical update, but the "Pirates: Live the Life" remake released in 2004 substantially changed the gameplay by substituting turn-based tactical land combat for the original real-time version, adding a dancing mini-game, and various minor changes. :M

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I REALLY think you guys are focusing on the wrong thing if you think the ranking is what's important here
> Meticulously ranks games to declare which are the Top Non-RPG PC Games of all times
> Wonders why people focus on the ranking

:)

This is like the US News and World Reports ranking of vidya! Of course people care!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
This is like the US News and World Reports ranking of vidya! Of course people care!
Most people here probably already played the Top 10, it's just an ego battle. The real use is to guide people on the following games... like, if you want to play one of those billion Star Wars Jedi something games, you see that you should start with Dark Forces II.

Sadly, while I think the lis tis very representative of the Codex's taste, we had a relatively small poll of votes, so hidden gems didn't pop up much. I knew that and tried to compensate with the point tier system, but the success was limited. Bayesian average doesn't work when all votes are positive, so i'm trying to figure a formula to cross number of votes x % of 3's and 5's in an interesting way.

For example, just counting the 5's votes, the games with most passionate fans are:
  1. SpaceChem
  2. Life is Strange
  3. Myth II: Soulblighter
  4. Archimedean Dynasty
  5. Freespace 2
  6. Counter-Strike
  7. X-COM: Terror From the Deep
  8. Darkwood
  9. Star Wars: X-Wing
  10. X-COM: UFO Defense (aka UFO: Enemy Unknown)

Darkforge

Augur
People generally know what's good in the RPG space around here. But I have to say... This list selection is pretty Lackluster, to begin with.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's one of the ones that really surprised me. I scarcely played them, but watched some friends and, my god, did those games look boring as hell.

It's probably the best non-over-the-shoulder third person shooter ever made though. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom