Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Competition RPG Codex Wasteland 2 Contest Winners Announced

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Codex Statue in Wasteland 2; Wasteland 2

As you probably know by now from DarkUnderlord's post in another thread, a decision has finally been reached on who the lucky winners in the Codex Wasteland 2 contest are. Many entries were submitted, some fine, some not. There has been a closed voting involved, and much divergence, and some debate. But now it is settled.

1st place: Alexandros

With a staggering advantage, Alexandros' bunker entry is hereby named the best overall, and he takes the first place. Alexandros has, quite predictably, also won in the "most Codexian shrine" category.

Alexandros' prize is the autographed boxed copy of the game. HOWEVER, in the contest thread, Alexandros opted out of the prize. Are you still SURE you don't want a motherfucking AUTOGRAPHED copy, Alexandros? Even if you are, although personally I don't see why you should refuse, then we'll give you a Ranger Medal Level 5. We can also give you a $20 GOG certificate instead; personally I think this is a poor substitue, but the decision is yours.

Still, you deserve the box, so ideally that's what you should get.

2nd place: Snerf

Perhaps surprisingly, a virtually unknown lurker by the name of Snerf has received overwhelming support for his "Choice & Consequence" set of equipment. Also, his entry was voted best overall by three members of the Codex staff. Therefore his 2nd place is well-deserved, and he gets a Ranger Medal Level 4 to treasure for eternity. (He can also maybe negotiate with DU for another Wasteland 2 goodie, depending on what he wants, like maybe a poster or something; for that, he should contact us.)

3rd place: KickAss

Finally, in the "most Codexian statue description" competition, it has been a tie between Alexandros and KickAss with his reference to the "odds are, something you like very much sucks" motto. But Alexandros already has his higher-level reward, so Ranger Medal Level 3 goes to KickAss. He also came out third in the best overall entry competition, so yeah, 3rd place it is.

I should also say that many other entries have also been mentioned as worthy at least once, but there can only be one ultimate winner. We thank everyone who submitted their entries. You guys have been a blast.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Pinging Alexandros, Snerf and KickAss.

Also, I'm reposting DU's version of our resulting submission to InXile here so you could discuss it in this thread as well.

1. Description of the Shrine

An old, abandoned military bunker located in the side of a mountain, a few miles outside of a pre-war city. The party learns of this bunker by talking to some NPCs in the region. The NPCs tell them the folk story of a group of traditionalists preaching about the "Great Decline", their version of the end of days about to come due to the general populace's disregard for the old ways. Apparently, at some point they grew tired of preaching and they willingly chose to seclude themselves in that bunker, their very own "shelter from modernity" as they used to call it. No-one dares approach the old bunker, even after all these years, in fear of the defences set in place by a member of the group, a mad man with a genius-level intellect.

The entrance to the bunker is a large, sealed door with a computer terminal nearby. When accessed the terminal displays a key panel and the text "Please enter unlock code:". Clearly there is still some power in the facility. The digits on the keypad have letters on them, much like the numbers on a mobile phone. The user can hack the terminal (with sufficient skill) or enter the numbers 3283 (FATE) to open the door.

Once inside, we can see that the bunker is destroyed, with several corpses strewn around. The bunker is clearly part of a much larger facility that goes many levels deep but walls have collapsed, elevators are non-functional or missing with only empty shafts remaining and only a small portion of the facility is actually accessible. Upon examination the corpses reveal that "A great struggle took place here." and "It appears as if the inhabitants of this place fought each other to death".

2. Description for the Statue

The statue stands - or perhaps is carved into the wall - by the entrance of the bunker. It's a large statue (perhaps twice the height of a man) of some sort of apparently angry devil / troll-like creature. If the party examines the statue, they get the following description: "It's as though the figure is looking down on the city in the distance, with an obvious air of superiority. An inscription on the bottom reads: Odds are, something you like very much sucks."

3. The type of in-game artifact + backstory

Only two levels of the bunker are actually accessible and despite the fear, there are no defense mechanisms operational. The first level is sparse with mostly collapsed walls. Everything has long since malfunctioned, fallen into disrepair or been destroyed. With sufficient relevant skill (and perhaps an item such as replacing a broken fuse), the PC can re-activate one of the elevators - an old service lift that descends to a lower level of the bunker.

This lower level is no better than the first, in fact it's worse. Where doors don't function, there are large gaping holes in the walls - where walls have seemingly fallen down or been blown away. Again, bodies lie strewn about the area as if a great fight took place here and the inhabitants turned on each other.

In this lower level though is a locked room. With sufficient lockpicking skill, the PC is able to re-work the mechanism and open the door. Inside is the only room still in almost pristine condition. A series of monitors - long since dead - adorn the walls, making this some kind of central control room. A computer terminal is active, perhaps one of several but only this one is still blinking and operational. A long dead corpse sits in a chair in front of it. A second corpse lies dead on the floor nearby.

Accessing this computer terminal requires a much higher hacking skill than the one necessary to gain entrance to the bunker in the first place. Once hacked, it brings up a list of options with the following results:

Please input command:
1. Defense System
-> 1. Activate Defense Network -> [ Critical System Failure ]
-> 2. System Diagnostic -> [ Critical System Failure ]

2. Security Monitoring
-> [ Access Denied ]

3. User Programs
-> 1. Solitaire -> [ init: fatal signal: Segmentation fault. Error at Memory Address (0x12DF) ]
-> 2. Journals -> Please Select Journal:
1. Calis -> Listing... (see below)
2. D*%))-d!#?@&d -> [ This file is corrupt. ]
3. Proverbius -> Listing... (see below)
4. Taluntain -> [ Error 504: The server did not respond in time. ]
5. Weller -> [ Status 503: User not found. This account has been deleted. ]​
-> 3. Mail -> [ Mail server not found. ]

4. System Information -> rpgcodex.net v2002.6.16​

I actually want to write out the actual text that appears in the two available journals. Falling in line with Alexandros description below, explaining how Calis set it up so they'd work even if the server was offline and other things that explain this place. Maybe 8 or 10 entries available in total spread out over a period of time which cover everything from its establishment to its ultimate demise.

"The Codex is a fascinating read. Various journal entries describe the day to day activities of the group and their plans to reforge society according to their ideals after the coming of the Decline, with the basic principles of the plan entailed in a seperate section of the Codex called "Rebirth Program Guidelines" or RPG. However, the later pages reveal the possible cause of their own destruction, as The Codex describes numerous heated discussions and wildly different opinions on the exact nature of the RPG. The last chapter of the unfinished book suggests that the conflict turned violent at some point. It seems probable that infighting was the cause for the eventual demise of the group. [Full credit to Felipepepe for his idea on that last bit]."

"I've sealed the doors. I am activating the defense mechanisms and turning them against those inside. This place must be destroyed."

4. Name an NPC OR weapon

Examination of the corpse on the chair reveals: "This long-dead corpse is wearing a blue jumpsuit of some sort. You can just make out the name [Proverbius] on the name tag." On the floor by the corpse is a large sledgehammer. Its description reveals "This heavy sledgehammer is covered in blood-stains. It looks like it's been well-used. There's a cable running from it which appears like it must connect to some sort of power source." The sledgehammer is called "Consequence". The sledgehammer by default, is a fairly standard weapon.

Nearby is another skeleton which looking at reveals: "The name [Calis] appears on the blue jumpsuit of this corpse." Upon examination we find the corpse has a suit of armour, called "Choice" with the description: "This strange suit of armour has been severely damaged and is beyond repair. It seems as if it has an internal power source though, which is still active." The armour is UTTERLY WORTHLESS for defense (thus the armour becomes our "item"). It's long since passed it's usefulness and has been far too heavily damaged.

However, if the armour is equipped along with the sledgehammer (thus providing the weapon with a power source), the sledgehammer becomes THE best melee weapon in the game. However the armour is - and always will be - crap, no matter what you do to it. Thus the player is presented with a choice: Do they want a great melee attack at the expense of their defense?​

The intent is to combine the best of the ideas presented, while doing some things in a much subtler way - and being as specific as possible so InXile doesn't have to do much thinking.

Feel free to comment / brofist / review as appropriate.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder who decides how everything will look like graphically, ingame? Is it fully up to inXile's interpretation from now on, or will they be consulting with us in the future?

Stinger

Arcane
Alexandros's entry was pretty awesome and it's a well deserved win.

Also loving the final submission to inXile and the awesome C&C item set. Overall the entry turned out much better than I expected:salute:

MARMELADA

I wonder who decides how everything will look like graphically, ingame? Is it fully up to inXile's interpretation from now on, or will they be consulting with us in the future?

They stated that they will contact people if they need more details or they feel like changing something in your request if it's too inadequate for the setting (for example, if your My Little Pony reference sticks out too much).

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Not bad, but still too Codexian - meaning, only Codexians will know and fully enjoy.

One guy actually had a good idea when he proposed, for a weapon, the "multi headed stick".
A non Codexer, finding this silly, maybe superpowered weapon would think "lol, what the fuck is this?" and enjoy the absurdity; a codexer would immediately know
the multi headed stick is actually
:mhd:

That's a style of win-win reference everyone can enjoy. Like Alice in Wonderland. You don't hafta know who the fuck
Alice Liddell was to read it...

But we'll have to wait and see how InXile handles this.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Codex Statue in Wasteland 2; Wasteland 2

As you probably know by now from DarkUnderlord's post in another thread, a decision has finally been reached on who the lucky winners in the Codex Wasteland 2 contest are. Many entries were submitted, some fine, some not. There has been a closed voting involved, and much divergence, and some debate. But now it is settled.

2nd place: Snerf

Perhaps surprisingly, a virtually unknown lurker by the name of Snerf has received overwhelming support for his "Choice & Consequence" set of equipment. Also, his entry was voted best overall by three members of the Codex staff. Therefore his 2nd place is well-deserved, and he gets a Ranger Medal Level 4 to treasure for eternity. (He can also maybe negotiate with DU for another Wasteland 2 goodie, depending on what he wants, like maybe a poster or something; for that, he should contact us.)

I'm sorry, but overwhelming support ? This user has 1 post, which received 0 brofist's, and his C&C weapon set has not been mentioned in the following posts as far as I could tell ?? I do not say that he does not deserve to win, I don't really care about that since I did not contribute myself, but it seems he got second place solely based on some Codex staff preference. It should at least have been pushed down to 3rd.

:butthurt:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Personally, I think our submission is too self-referential. It's meaningful only to Codexers and nobody else. Imagine a number of such submissions from various sites making their way into the actual game. No one will know WTF is going on with each of those locations/characters/quests except in one or two instances, if you belonged to particular forum. I think the locales should be better embeded into the world and less obtrusive so you can create whole quests around them, which could be meaningful to everyone playing the game, and nuanced for the chosen few. Otherwise it's just a circus of wonders presenting one weird performance after another. For that reason I like e.g. Alex_Steel's submission more.

Still, congrats to the winners. :salute:

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
And so what if it's too self-referential? If you walk down the street in real life, do you know the meaning or the intent behind everything that you see? I doubt it. So why all the angst about this proposal being too self-referential. To me, the whole thing seems quite nice, self contained and inconspicuous within the greater game world, with a good dose of mistery for someone who's not familiar with the Codex, all of which should add to its charm.

Achilles

Arcane
Are you still SURE you don't want a motherfucking AUTOGRAPHED copy, Alexandros?

Yes, I am. I just love writing and I wanted to give something back to the community, I don't care about the prize. If you insist on giving me something, I'll take the GOG certificate and gift half of it here on the Codex, half on some of my friends to educate them on true PC classics.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
And so what if it's too self-referential? If you walk down the street in real life, do you know the meaning or the intent behind everything that you see? I doubt it. So why all the angst about this proposal being too self-referential. To me, the whole thing seems quite nice, self contained and inconspicuous within the greater game world, with a good dose of mistery for someone who's not familiar with the Codex, all of which should add to its charm.

Because such events/quests/locations serve no other purpose than self-reference? Imagine about 20 quests done in such a way in the game out of which you can understand only 3, and the rest is out there just because. IMO, it is a waste of developer's resources to create assets like these. I would rather there was something a more meaningful, befitting the gameworld, adding to the gameplay.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Are you still SURE you don't want a motherfucking AUTOGRAPHED copy, Alexandros?

Yes, I am. I just love writing and I wanted to give something back to the community, I don't care about the prize. If you insist on giving me something, I'll take the GOG certificate and gift half of it here on the Codex, half on some of my friends to educate them on true PC classics.
Score!! I get to keep the autographed copy. :smug:

We'll give you the Gift Certificate when we get the rest of the stuff. It's only fair.

Not bad, but still too Codexian - meaning, only Codexians will know and fully enjoy.
Well, that is kind of the point. Adding an absurd weapon is even more LOLWUT and only something Codexians will know and fully be annoyed by enjoy. Plus it's right up there in the LOOOLOL factor, which we've been trying to avoid. Stupidly obvious out of place stuff versus interesting area with a nice prize that doesn't ruin the game if you don't know what the Codex is. And if you do know the Codex, lots of lulz to be had as you chuckle to yourself going OLOL I USE FATE UNLOCK CODE OPEN DOOR LOLOLOL CHOICE AND CONSEQUENCE

it seems he got second place solely based on some Codex staff preference.
Yes.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Well, that is kind of the point. Adding an absurd weapon is even more LOLWUT and only something Codexians will know and fully be annoyed by enjoy. Plus it's right up there in the LOOOLOL factor, which we've been trying to avoid. Stupidly obvious out of place stuff versus interesting area with a nice prize that doesn't ruin the game if you don't know what the Codex is. And if you do know the Codex, lots of lulz to be had as you chuckle to yourself going OLOL I USE FATE UNLOCK CODE OPEN DOOR LOLOLOL CHOICE AND CONSEQUENCE

But think of something like Fallout. The cows saying "Moo, I say", and stuff like that. I chuckled before knowing about the inside joke.

Snerf

Learned
I always wanted my first post here to piss someone off, and I didn't even have to say popamole to do it. Sweet.

Thanks mods! Don't worry about sending anything else other the medal. Save that stuff for other trolls, I'm just a nerd that likes to share my crappy ideas!

it seems he got second place solely based on some Codex staff preference.
Yes.

It caused a lot of butthurt. At the end of the day, isn't that what the Codex is all about? :love:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Some people might also be interested in finding out who the runner-ups were in each category, so I'll post the top 3 per category:

Best overall entry:
1. Alexandros
2. Snerf
3. KickAss

Most Codexian shrine:
1. Alexandros
2. DarkUnderlord
3. KickAss

Most Codexian statue description:
1-2. A tie between Alexandros and KickAss
3. Haba

Most Codexian artifact:
1. Alexandros
2. Ulminati
3. SlavemasterT

Most Codexian NPC or weapon:
1. Snerf
2. Haba
3. A tie between Alex_Steel, Country_Gravy and DarkUnderlord

Just FYI.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
VaultOS would be more suitable, but that would risk a legal suit from certain "individual".

Phelot

Arcane

You are annoyingly modest and humble :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom