Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex's 2017 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I almost finished DOS2 and quit at the end because it turned awful in every way. It ran like shit, it played like shit, the combat system sucked, the level scaled loot was trash and the writing and dialogue were cringeworthy. Garbage game, 4/10
Elex surprised me, as I got exactly the thing that I was waiting for: a eurojank RPG with a large world and plenty of c&c. Some parts of the game (primarily the combat system) weren't as good or as fleshed out as I wanted them to be but I still got what I wanted and I was happy with it, 7 or 8/10.
I didn't play anything else in the year.

Sentinel

Arcane
Nier A tomato easy goty
ELEX gameplay was way too shit for me to bear for more than 7 hours
DivOS2 was sleep inducing and had terrible combat
Torment was just shit

didn't play anything else

frajaq

Erudite
not saying that Nier Automata is a bad game at all (far from it) but how is it considered an RPG

anyway Divinity 2 should win that even with horrible ARPG-like items

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
not saying that Nier Automata is a bad game at all (far from it) but how is it considered an RPG

anyway Divinity 2 should win that even with horrible ARPG-like items
Is it supposed to be an RPG only list? Why's Destiny 2 there then?
maxresdefault.jpg

Looks like an RPG to me!

Jason Liang

Arcane
Coming to Codex daily for the past three years has made me realize the truth that 80% of the rpgs I used to think were fun are actually shit.

This year it dawned on me that:
1) NWN's combat is shit, and good NWN modules are good DESPITE the shitty combat
2) KOTOR and KOTOR 2's combat are shit
3) I didn't find playing Wasteland 2 to be any fun. The game isn't even bad but it makes me never want to pick up another RPG ever again
4) I've never ever enjoyed playing Fallout or Fallout 2 and I sure as fuck found Underrail intolerable
5) Pillars is shit and every rtwp except BG2: EE is like Pillars. Playing BG: EE made me realize that it's shit just like Pillars.
6) Pillars also made me realize that I like BG2: EE for D&D, not for being an rpg
7) Elminage Gothic and Rance 6 made me realize that I've outgrown blobbers
8) The more I compared JA2 and Dragonfall, the more I unravel. If JA2 is considered a strategy game more than an RPG, then why is Dragonfall considered an RPG and not a strategy game? Why do these two games go on different lists? Are Gold Box games rpgs or strategy games?

RPGs are a shit genre and the number of straight turn-based CRPGs actually worth playing is around 5. I like adventure games, strategy games, and strategic rpg hybrids. I tolerate blobbers but realize that it's just playing the same fucking game from 1981 over and over. JRPGs are bad-fun since Japanese culture is an endless dirty rabbit hole, a culture that lacks originality but completely lets their id run amok. I loath ARPGs, the only ARPG that I ever felt satisfied for finnishing was Diablo 1. RTwP is shit, BG2: EE is a glitch in the matrix that will NEVER EVER come around again.

I am wise.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Coming to Codex daily for the past three years has made me realize the truth that 80% of the rpgs I used to think were fun are actually shit.

1) NWN's combat is shit, and good NWN modules are good DESPITE the shitty combat
3) I didn't find playing Wasteland 2 to be any fun
4) I've never ever enjoyed playing Fallout or Fallout 2 and I sure as fuck found Underrail intolerable
5) Pillars is shit and every rtwp except BG2: EE is like Pillars. Playing BG: EE made me realize that it's shit just like Pillars.
6) Pillars also made me realize that I like BG2: EE for D&D, not for being an rpg

RPGs are a shit genre and the number of straight CRPGs actually worth playing is around 5. I like adventure games, strategy games, and strategic rpg hybrids. I tolerate blobbers but realize that it's just playing the same fucking game from 1981 over and over. JRPGs are bad-fun since Japanese culture is an endless dirty rabbit hole, a culture that lacks originality but completely lets their id run amok. I loath ARPGs, the only ARPG that I ever felt satisfied for finnishing was Diablo 1. RTwP is shit, BG2: EE is a glitch in the matrix that will NEVER EVER come around again.

I am wise.
Hmmm i don't care what the codex likes or hates,i do like what i like!

Maybe you should go and play some shit like say....all the modern AAA games and reignite your love for rpgs. RPG is the greatest genre of games eva!!!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Welcome to the Codex, son.
Everything is shit*.

* except Arcanum, Fallout, Fallout 2, but less so, Bloodlines, TOEE for combat, Knights of the Chalice, Baldur's Gate 2 for encounter design, Wizardry 8 and Ultima 4-7**

** and Ultima Underworld 1, but not so much 2, and Dark Heart of Uukrul and...

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Everything is shit*.

* except Arcanum, Fallout, Fallout 2, but less so, Bloodlines, TOEE for combat, Knights of the Chalice, Baldur's Gate 2 for encounter design, Wizardry 8 and Ultima 4-7**

***AoD, UR.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Everything is shit*.

Hahahaha it remains me of a saying in Bulgaria. "Every woman is a whore except my mother,but lets not forget that she a woman to."

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Everything is shit*.

***AoD, UR.
I don't consider teleportation simulators RPGs.

edgy.png
edgy.png
edgy.png

What's UR?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Nah, UR is good. I have some issues with it but they're neglible. Might be the closest we've come to replicate the Fallout feeling. (AoD doesn't do it for me, mainly due to five things: writing, teleportation, camera, setting, character system.)

Jason Liang

Arcane
My Fallout feeling is fighting ants in the Temple of Trials and punching silly Geckos. Underrail brought back that feeling 100%.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Numanuma - 3/4

I cound't bring myself to rate Numanuma 2/4. Yeah, it was disappointing, but there were some good moments.
Don't worry, you're just on par with mainstream media. 75% = it sucks.
BTW, I really don't get why so many journos love Numenera and keep talking about it... you see it being name-dropped more in RPG articles than it ever was talked about by gamers.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
'cause of all the non-whites in it. Plus there's a gay character talking about sex. So progressive. And a tranny God.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BTW, I really don't get why so many journos love Numenera and keep talking about it... you see it being name-dropped more in RPG articles than it ever was talked about by gamers.
Hype, hipster stuff & known developer. That's all.
It's like those movies that have no substance, no action, no character development, nothing about them - but the critics sure love 'em.

There are critics' games (like Numanuma) that many gamers don't really like or are mostly "meh" about. But they sure allow you to go all hipster on them, just the right thing for critics. Really, it allows you to go all philosophical with all that pretentious stuff in there...
Wolfenstein: New Colossus is similar. Tons of horrible pretentious sequences, very little gameplay, short as fuck - perfect for critics. And the ratings are 86% from critics / 66% from gamers. :lol:

And there are gamers' games that critics are panning but people like and buy anyway.
Reasons for that can be numerous, too.

Just look at this, it's pretty funny.
You can always see when a game had tons of worthless fluff that critics love and when a game had actually good gameplay (or something else to make gamers like it).

Last edited:

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

3) I didn't find playing Wasteland 2 to be any fun

RPGs are a shit genre and the number of straight CRPGs actually worth playing is around 5. I like adventure games, strategy games, and strategic rpg hybrids. I tolerate blobbers but realize that it's just playing the same fucking game from 1981 over and over. JRPGs are bad-fun since Japanese culture is an endless dirty rabbit hole, a culture that lacks originality but completely lets their id run amok. I loath ARPGs, the only ARPG that I ever felt satisfied for finnishing was Diablo 1. RTwP is shit, BG2: EE is a glitch in the matrix that will NEVER EVER come around again.

I am wise.

I've yet to see anyone praise Rance VI for the gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom