Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2019 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

FeelTheRads

Arcane
"yea, we're gonna take out all your gameplay* you stupid gamers"

*gameplay = reload gun

Interesting simplification.

Almost like saying that choosing "dodge" from a dialogue counts as combat.

But oh yeah, after DE we find out that games are only about the resolution. Therefore, we can replace everything with an "awesome button", because who the fuck needs anything else.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The incoming butthurt is very promising.
no butthurt, just resignation; rpgcodex isn't about RPGs anymore.

Like I previously said, it never was to begin with.
I mean come on Latro, it's pretty obvious when you consider this site started out as fan site to such '''''''game''''''' experiences such as Planescape: Torment and other CYOA faggotry.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The incoming butthurt is very promising.
no butthurt, just resignation; rpgcodex isn't about RPGs anymore.

Like I previously said, it never was to beign with.
I mean come on Latro, it's pretty obvious when you consider this site started out as fan site to such '''''''game''''''' experiences such as Planescape: Torment and other CYOA faggotry.
And yet you are still here 5 years later. So amirate,what is your favourite CYOA?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I’m worried you’re taking the obvious success of Disco Elysium too personally.

? I posted the image because what Fairfax said reminded me of that iconic scene from The Dover Boys.

I care more about the lack of things that appeal to me than what appeals to others. Stygian was almost there, but brought down largely by dumb hunger mechanics and an inelegant ending.

Like I previously said, it never was to beign with.

The site started as Fallout fan site. Half of the Planescape praise was simply a ironic way to counter Fallout fanboyism and as a provocation to some old codexers on the polls and discussions (because butthurt and for the lulz). Now the monster it's out of control.

Having said that, I think Planescape has its place among crpgs as a totally unorthodox crpg-lite with the best writing, a good story, a decent amount of reactivity, very good world design, npc personalities, etc. Mostly non crpg-specific (nor video game) features, but still is the best implementation of many tools and language resources of other media (literature, cinema, comics). Disco Elysium is not at Planescape level in most of those non-crpg contexts and include even less mechanics.

Last edited:
"yea, we're gonna take out all your gameplay you stupid gamers"

But gameplay - is in one's head. Don't blame others for your lack of imagination.

:troll:

But seriously though, name one better RPG that came out this year. And if you say Stygian or Outer Worlds, because they got combat, imma punch you in a dick.

gently :love:

Prime Junta

If you look at the GOTY top 3 over the years, or the all-time top 101 for that matter, it's clear that the Codex uses a pretty permissive definition of RPG. Here's the top 10 from the 101 list:

1. Planescape: Torment - storyfag RPG
2. Fallout - classic RPG
3. BG2 - classic RPG
4. Arcanum - classic RPG
5. VtM: Bloodlines - storyfag aRPG
6. Fallout 2 - classic RPG
7. Fallout: New Vegas - open-world aRPG
8. Deus Ex - immersive sim
9. Gothic 2 - open-world aRPG
10. Morrowind - open-world aRPG

So only 4 (or 5 if you count PS:T, and just above we have grogs arguing it shouldn't be) of the top 10 are what hardcore grogs would consider RPGs, and the list even fits one game that's usually classified with immersive sims rather than RPGs.

And this place would get really fucking dull if only Fallout and IE clones were "allowed."

Last edited by a moderator:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
And yet you are still here 5 years later. So amirate,what is your favourite CYOA?

The TITS Thread is, dare I say, ample in choice. :smug:

On a more serious note, the general gaming forum fortunately hasn't been very affected by your kind. And the RPG forum is a nice place to get some good early impressions and the storyfags roachs don't interact much in threads concerning gameplay.
And finally simply because every other place is worse than the Codex...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

The TITS Thread is, dare I say, ample in choice. :smug:

On a more serious note, the general gaming forum fortunately hasn't been very affected by your kind. And the RPG forum is a nice place to get some good early impressions and the storyfags roachs don't interact much in threads concerning gameplay.
And finally simply because every other place is worse than the Codex...
Why are combatfags so fucking butthurt and insecure....always? I mean,as you said,we the storyfags are just keeping to our own threads and don't go sperg shit in your combatfag threads. Yet you combatfags can't stop whining and complaining about storyfags and constantly sperg in storyfag focused threads. Why so butthurt that people like games that you don't even play? I am yet to see a storyfag come in to a thread and say "hurr durr this game shouldn't exits because the shit i like is not in it" and then keep on doing it for 3 months.

Prime Junta

Why are combatfags so fucking butthurt and insecure....always? I mean,as you said,we the storyfags are just keeping to our own threads and don't go sperg shit in your combatfag threads. Yet you combatfags can't stop whining and complaining about storyfags and constantly sperg in storyfag focused threads. Why so butthurt that people like games that you don't even play? I am yet to see a storyfag come in to a thread and say "hurr durr this game shouldn't exits because the shit i like is not in it" and then keep on doing it for 3 months.

It's due to deep-seated insecurities, which draw them to combatfag games in the first place. A combatfag game gives them a safe space where they can feel strong, powerful, and competent. If anything encroaches, they interpret it as a threat to that safe space. This triggers a primal fear of being left alone in the open, with their pitiful feebleness exposed for everyone to see and mock.

That's just a theory though.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

It's due to deep-seated insecurities, which draw them to combatfag games in the first place. A combatfag game gives them a safe space where they can feel strong, powerful, and competent. If anything encroaches, they interpret it as a threat to that safe space. This triggers a primal fear of being left alone in the open, with their pitiful feebleness exposed for everyone to see and mock.

That's just a theory though.
Ahh they were left out 30 years ago when the RPG genre moved away from their type of games and evolved in to something better. At this points the rpg oriantated toward combatfags are almost non existing. There are games that do both storyfaggotry and combat well,like underrail,but pure combat shit is rare,like dungeon rats and druidstone.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
At this points the rpg oriantated toward combatfags are almost non existing.

Ah, yes, which falls in line with the great incline in gaming we have today.

Can you possibly be more retarded?
Go and feed the worms old man,you have become irrelevant and with dementia. You are like those fat neck bearded youtubers sperging on about how the best years of gaming where when they came in cassettes and you could jump on to turtles,while staying in front of a wall of useless plastic trash. Things change,times move forward.

If you look at the GOTY top 3 over the years, or the all-time top 101 for that matter, it's clear that the Codex uses a pretty permissive definition of RPG. Here's the top 10 from the 101 list:

1. Planescape: Torment - storyfag RPG
2. Fallout - classic RPG
3. BG2 - classic RPG
4. Arcanum - classic RPG
5. VtM: Bloodlines - storyfag aRPG
6. Fallout 2 - classic RPG
7. Fallout: New Vegas - open-world aRPG
8. Deus Ex - immersive sim
9. Gothic 2 - open-world aRPG
10. Morrowind - open-world aRPG

So only 4 (or 5 if you count PS:T, and just above we have grogs arguing it shouldn't be) of the top 10 are what hardcore grogs would consider RPGs, and the list even fits one game that's usually classified with immersive sims rather than RPGs.

And this place would get really fucking dull if only Fallout and IE clones were "allowed."

Alll those games have combat AND other interactive, skill-dependant mechanics. Their gameplay is more linked with character skills and their progression and there is far more exploration and player agency than in Disco Elysium. Also your 4 "classics" are not the original models, but relatively recent and as innovative as those that you categorize as open worlds and "immersive sim" (a fake sub-genre).

There are plenty of crpgs before Fallout with a very different design and focus and they are pure crpgs, the true classics. From Wizardrys, Bard's Tales and M&Ms, to Gold Box series and Dark Sun, from Wasteland, Darklands and Realms of Arkania to Ultimas, Dungeon Master, Ultima Underworld, Betrayal at Krondor or Daggerfall. To me all are crpgs (with very different movement, number of characters or combat timing), some more focused, others a bit less, but all sharing common features. What makes them crpgs are the skill-dependant gameplay, the character(s) progression and some player agency, build relevance and specialization.

Fallouts, BG2, Deus Ex, Gothic 2 or Morrowind shares style and mechanics with the aforementioned true classics. Planescape (and probably some Ultimas) is less focused on those features. Disco Elysium significantly less, to the point that makes very doubtul its crpg condition.

Even some pure Arpgs* both in the RT combat simulator subgenre and the diablo-like one shares more features with Wizardry V, Pools of Darkness or Star Trail (or Fallout) than Disco Elysium.

* I think Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Ultima Underworld, Daggerfall & Morrowind, etc aren't arpgs, but pure crpgs in real time, because there is a fundamental difference with Dark Souls or Diablo clones: Character skills, formulas and rng are more relevant in regard combat success than player reflexes.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
the best years of gaming where when they came in cassettes and you could jump on to turtles,while staying in front of a wall of useless plastic trash
2xtoTf.gif

orig

Latro

Arcane
All of those games have combat. :thinking:
There's really no other way to put it. The standards of what is an RPG degrades to a shallow level up progression system, dice rolls, and a skill system that amounts to window dressing.

Someone please explain to me how this isn't the definition of DECLINE. Literal decline. The real thing. Not just "game I don't like". The best approximation for Disco Elysium would be "RPG-lite", or perhaps "RPG-like", like a fucking roguelike game.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
At this points the rpg oriantated toward combatfags are almost non existing.

Ah, yes, which falls in line with the great incline in gaming we have today.

Can you possibly be more retarded?
Go and feed the worms old man,you have become irrelevant and with dementia. You are like those fat neck bearded youtubers sperging on about how the best years of gaming where when they came in cassettes and you could jump on to turtles,while staying in front of a wall of useless plastic trash. Things change,times move forward.

Imagine a supposed conservatard using newfag argument of "get with the times". :lol: :lol: :lol: Imagine not being ashamed of literally being part of the decline. Turns out in the end fantaretard is just another shit newfag butthurt that the codex doesn't like the new games he likes.
Also a literal fat neckbeard calling others fat neckbeards. :lol:
And in fact, yes, those were the best years of gaming. And that was gaming. Something which DE is not.

Also, cretin, this is not a thread about a storyfag game. It's a thread about voting for the RPG of year. It's very reasonable arguing whether a piece of shit CYOA fits here.

Oh yeah, and how would you internet-psychoanalyze people who use awards given by the Dorito Pope as a proof of a game's quality?

There's really no other way to put it.

There is: All of those games have gameplay.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The standards of what is an RPG degrades to a shallow level up progression system, dice rolls, and a skill system that amounts to window dressing.
But throw "combat" onto that list and all is somehow well, even though that combat may be soul-suckingly awful. You've now made a much less entertaining thing than Disco Elysium, but hey, at least it's a computer RPG game. That's all that matters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom