Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2019 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
True Citizens know there is only one option

9dIxwbi.jpg

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, that really was a slow year for RPGs.

I actually talked with my GF about this the other day. She also said that while she did play a lot of games last year, almost none of them were actually from 2019.
Same here.

And she actually plays more genres than just the RPG/strategy I do.

This may just be a side effect of too many damn games coming out, though. My wishlist is long and hard, and steadily growing, just like my

V_K

Arcane
Wow, that really was a slow year for RPGs.

I actually talked with my GF about this the other day. She also said that while she did play a lot of games last year, almost none of them were actually from 2019.
Same here.

And she actually plays more genres than just the RPG/strategy I do.

This may just be a side effect of too many damn games coming out, though. My wishlist is long and hard, and steadily growing, just like my
This has been a pretty good year for Adventures and puzzlers though. We got Gibbous, Whispers of a Machine, Detective Di, Baba Is You and probably a lot of other stuff I don't remember right now.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow, I actually played 3 whole games on that list, I consider that pretty impressive.

The definition of RPG is about to change forever and few will survive the civil war that follows, but at least we can take comfort in knowing that Expedition will win best DLC/expansion.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
I didn't play a single game on that list and hadn't heard of most of them. I feel the Codex is not giving me contemporaneous information about what's new and hot. Although I am tempted to vote for Cat Quest II and The Outer Worlds just in the tradition of shitting up FP's hard work.

Now back to trying to summon up the enthusiasm to play Pathfinder Kingmaker and failing.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Poll is missing sengoku rance, is therefore invalid.

What a shit year two, only put down two votes, and both on the lower half of the scale.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Tags: GOTY 2019

Ladies and gentlemen, it is time!

The voting for the RPG Codex's 2019 GOTY poll is now open: VOTE HERE

2019 was a slow year compared to 2018, but that's another good reason to make a poll and find out what are the highlights and the hidden gems.

As usual, the games are divided into three categories: GOTY, Best DLC/Expansion and Best Port/Remake. The poll is long, but just scroll past all the games you didn't play and focus on the ones you did.

Thank you, and have a great 2020!

Read the full article: RPG Codex's 2019 GOTY - VOTE NOW!
Another year with a middle rating missing! Why do i have to vote negatively games that are just meh?!

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
PART I: Best Expansions/DLCs

Voted nothing because I did not play any of these

PART II: Best PC Ports/Remasters/Remakes

Of all I only played Boringlands and it was one of the most boring games I have ever played.

PART III: Best RPGs of 2019

Disco Elysium - good game. Has flaws but overall it was a great adventure/RPG mix. I enjoyed it a lot.

Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - nice atmosphere and interesting setting, but gameplay is total trash and just frustrates a lot. Fuck this game.

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian finally outdid Bethesda. One of the most memorable games as complete fucking garbage. Possibly even worse than Fallout 3.

Games from the vote that I still have to play are Titan Outpost, Theseus: Journey to Athens, Outward, and Greedfall. Maybe after Chinese New Year Steam sale or later.

Why no Pathologic 2? While I did not play it, therefore wouldn't vote, the first Pathologic was amazing.

Alex

Arcane
Well that was disappointing. I lurk on this site almost every day and when it finally came time to vote for the best games of the year.... I had played exactly one of the games on the list. Is it me or was it just 2019??

Well, you were lucky. I didn't play a single one on the list this time. As a write in, I would say Shovel Knight, King of Cards.

By the way, will there be a poll for RPG of the year?

Viata

Arcane
why isn't pathologic 2 in the polls
i second this - why isn't pathologic 2 on the list?
Have we ever considered Pathologic 2 an RPG? Pathologic 1 was never voted into our "101 RPG" list, it was not on fantadomat's GOTY list and you were all crying about how "the year only had Disco Elysium and Outer Worlds"...

This is clearly more butthurt about Disco than defense of Pathologic.
Stop this faggotry, felipepepe. We even have this post on fanta's list:
Just noticed the absence of Pathologic 2.
It is not really an rpg.
Pathologic 2 vs Disco Elysium:
- both have dialogues with different outcomes;
- both have relatively linear stories BUT with c&c in sidequests;
- both have inventories and equipment with stats;
- P2 has combat, looting, survival mechanics, reputation system, and even crafting;
- Disco has skillchecks with dicerolls;
- P2 has Mind map;
- Disco has Thought cabinet.

i think those two games are about on par with each other in their RPGness.

Most people here already know that Disco is going to win, it was a shit year, we are just complaining about how your guys bend the rules to allow some game to be rpg(a fucking 3D visual novel) and other doesn't, when both cases we have the dev themselves calling it rpg. The only reason most fags here says Disco is a rpg is because they love it.
Yeah it's that simple, in codex the game is a rpg as long as I like it and it's not if I dislike it. Just look how back when Age of Decadence was released, there was people saying it was not a rpg and in fact a CYOA game, the same people that disliked the game.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Any particular reason why Din's Legacy didn't make the list?
Nothing special, I just missed it. These small releases are a pain to track, there's no good list anywhere, I have to get SteamSpy's full list. This year it had 2165 RPGs, so I usually filter out games with less than 20,000 owners, to remove all the RPG Maker crap. Unfortunately, Din's Legacy didn't sell 20k so far, so the filter removed it and I forgot about it.

we are just complaining about how your guys bend the rules to allow some game to be rpg(a fucking 3D visual novel) and other don't, when both case we have the dev themselves calling it rpg. The only reason most fags here says Disco is a rpg is because they love it.
That's bullshit. Pathologic 2 is a cult classic, is exactly the kind of the game the Codex loves to look cool talking about. But the first one was never voted as RPG in any of the several polls we made, it's just now people are EXTREMELY butthurt about Disco Elysium and want to create drama.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I always thought the standard Codex "it's officially considered an RPG if the devs call it an RPG" works well.

Either way the butthurt potential is off the charts, so good job. If we're lucky we might even get one or two "I'm leaving forever!" threads.

Chunkyman

Augur
Wow, surprised I didn't play any of these. In 2019 I was just playing some of my backlog like The Witcher 3.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I always thought the standard Codex "it's officially considered an RPG if the devs call it an RPG" worked well.

That's the standard of the Codex staff, the userbase not as much. :)

Pathologic 2's original Kickstarter described it as a "plot-driven survival open-world adventure game". When the game was released in May, its Steam store page described it as a "narrative-driven dramatic thriller". Then in October they changed it to a "story-based sandbox", and then later that month to "groundbreaking open-world horror RPG". I didn't notice that it had "become an RPG" because it happened after the game came out. I think I've said before how much it annoys me when devs do this sort of thing.

It's felipe's call how to handle this. He did all the work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom