Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2019 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Everybody seems so sure Disco Elysium will win, but remember, this isn't a popularity contest like fanto's unofficial poll. Any game with a dedicated cadre of haters can have its average score tanked by them ranking it 1/4 en masse. This is the reason why JRPGs do so relatively well in our polls - they have a dedicated group of fans, but other people don't play them at all.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
This is a bullshit execuse man. Just because the first game isn't an RPG it doesn't mean the sequel can't be one. Franchises drastically switching genre, style and tone happens all the time.
But Pathologic 2 is a remake, not a sequel.

In any case, it's not an RPG. It's not even a discussion, stop mixing up the adventure and RPG genres.

overly excitable young man

Everybody seems so sure Disco Elysium will win, but remember, this isn't a popularity contest like fanto's unofficial poll. Any game with a dedicated cadre of haters can have its average score tanked by them ranking it 1/4 en masse. This is the reason why JRPGs do so relatively well on our polls - they have a dedicated group of fans, but other people don't play them at all.
Let's hope. I just came here to vote Disco down.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
This is a bullshit execuse man. Just because the first game isn't an RPG it doesn't mean the sequel can't be one. Franchises drastically switching genre, style and tone happens all the time.
But Pathologic 2 is a remake, not a sequel.

In any case, it's not an RPG. It's not even a discussion, stop mixing up the adventure and RPG genres.

The only reason why GOTY is Disco, not P2 for me is because it is the remake, not original idea.

V_K

Arcane
Everybody seems so sure Disco Elysium will win, but remember, this isn't a popularity contest like fanto's unofficial poll. Any game with a dedicated cadre of haters can have its average score tanked by them ranking it 1/4 en masse. This is the reason why JRPGs do so relatively well on our polls - they have a dedicated group of fans, but other people don't play them at all.
Tanking DE can only go so far, unfortunately; there needs to be a challenger - another game with a dedicated following, small as it may be (but not too small because then Bayesian average will tank it harder than all the haters). And this year has none. Outer Worlds, Greedfall and Stygian, all got a lukewarm reception at best. The only hope is that our JRPG brethren will bring Bloodstained to the top, but I doubt that - both because metroidvanias are a niche within a niche, and because JRPG folks are just as likely to give high ratings to visual novels.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Be sure to give a 1 vote to every JRPG on the poll.
rating_agenda.png

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The only reason most fags here says Disco is a rpg is because they love it. Yeah it's that simple, in codex the game is a rpg as long as I like it and it's not if I dislike it.

he's right you know
Well disco does have levelling and point spending,tho the game is extremely easy. Still to say if those games are or not RPG,first we much come do decisive conclusion to the debate about "What is RPG?"!

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
The only reason most fags here says Disco is a rpg is because they love it. Yeah it's that simple, in codex the game is a rpg as long as I like it and it's not if I dislike it.

he's right you know
Well disco does have levelling and point spending,tho the game is extremely easy. Still to say if those games are or not RPG,first we much come do decisive conclusion to the debate about "What is RPG?"!

Is it the pixelated FPV shit where you kill the dragons with MIGHTY SWORD OF MIGHTY?

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Maybe Mountain Blade 2 this year will heal my wounds. And to be less dark I guess Greedfall doing well was good news even if I didnt finish the thing.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
100 % Disco Elysium desserves the award, and as such, I cast my 5 vote on that game only.

It was kind of a lukewarm year all around.

Underrail Exp being good, but abit disappointing actually, and outer worlds.. lol?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Slay the Spire is actually a 2019 release!? What...? The game has been around for how many years now?

Anyway, StS is good, so there's at least one serious option in the poll, but it's not going to win, sadly. I'm actually surprised at how few people played StS around here since we're not talking about a super hidden obscure game. StS sold several hundred thousands of copies.

Codex thread:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/slay-the-spire-is-a-pretty-cool-game.123316/

Fun fact: the game is getting a forth character as FREE DLC. And I can say from experience Watcher is tons of fun.

prengle

Savant
nED9CSX.png

Fuck off, mate. This game is more rpg than Disco Elysium.

you could probably ask like 50 people what genre pathologic is and i doubt two of them would give the exact same answer. not even ice-pick really knows what to call it, one second it's a "horror rpg", the next it's a "survival adventure game"

yes its definitely more engaging gameplay wise than disco but unfortunately, as we all know, game journos cant actually play videogames

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I would like to nominate Path of Exile: Conquerors of the Atlas as the best expansion released this year, but it is not featured in this list. I realize that it's really a large patch, but it's also a serious end-game overhaul, the first in two years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom