Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best cRPGs - DISCUSS THREAD / NOW ACCEPTING REVIEWS

Tigranes

Arcane
List reminds me I should really finish some of the games I have going so I can vote for them - BaK, QfG & and Darklands in particular, if I can get past that fucked up Darklands combat I still don't understand.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
So, what changed since the last best crpg list? No memorable games were released since then as far as i remember.

Ah, i see. A point system. And lack of poll probably will make the votes more genuine. Still, i don't know why do you guys love to make lists like these. Especially when we already have useful list like "Must play games" that serves well to our needs.

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I can see Icewind Dale, Arcanum, Baldur's Gate and ToEE all risking their top 10. They are too often just honorable mentions. I can see Morrowing grabbing a pretty good spot, with Wizardries in general going up.

Gregz

Arcane
Glorious Codexia, a new year dawns, and with it another "Best cRPGs Ever" list.

To solve some of the issues from the previous year's Best RPGs list becoming a popularity list, we decided to adopt a point-based voting system:

Each person has 25 points to distribute between what they think are the best RPGs ever. You have to spend at least 1 point per game, and at most 5 points on each game, so you can vote anything from 5 to 25 games, weighting how great you think they are. This is the RPG Codex, so I trust that I don't have to make a tutorial on such basic point-based system. Please.

Excellent idea, Jaesun should consider retro-voting his master list using this points system.

I think it gives a lot more information to the reader as to just how excellent, or mediocre, a specific game is.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I replaced ToEE with its clear successor in OO&M.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Still, i don't know why do you guys love to make lists like these. Especially when we already have useful list like "Must play games" that serves well to our needs.
What we need is a vote for the top 10 rpgcodex best rpg lists.

A lot of my considerations can't be voted for per the rules and even those that can be voted for would be a waste because of how niche they are.

Now the decision is whether to abstain from voting or help push Alpha Protocol into the top ten.

Decisions, decisions...

A lot of my considerations can't be voted for per the rules and even those that can be voted for would be a waste because of how niche they are.

Now the decision is whether to abstain from voting or help push Alpha Protocol into the top ten.

Decisions, decisions...
Play the hipster card, put some fake "old" games in there, and see who else votes for them.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Decisions, decisions...

Vote for the niche gems and others may "remember" them as well.

laclongquan

Arcane
Vote

A-Z sorting
Arcanum**
Baldur's Gate *
Baldur's Gate 2 +TOB
Deus Ex
Fallout 1

Fallout 2
Fallout Tactics
Fallout New Vegas**
Final Fantasy 8**
Jagged Alliance 2

Hammer and Sickle
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale 2
King of Dragon Pass
Might and Magic 8

Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer**
Planescape: Torment
Prince of Qin
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Sengoku Rance

Space Rangers 2 + Reboot*
Silent Storms series
The Witcher 1
Unreal World
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines

* Okay games but I never complete them, with many defiencies. Yes, that fucking include BG1. Never complete the main game but the expansion finished plenty of times.

** Great games, replayed many times. Never completed.

A few changes from the old vote in top 50. Still, it's more like top 23 with F1 and BG1 I would like to delete. since top 23 sound silly, I leave it at 25 with 1 point each. Terrible system.

No this is a very vedy bad system. Keep to the old method of top 50, please.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
How is it bad, if you can vote just like last time (if you want) and others who want to weigh their votes can do so as well.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Instead of rehashing the same useless god damn lists year after year, couldn't you fucks do something useful for once?

All the previous popularity contests have already proven that most dumbfucks have not even played a real cRPG before, otherwise the list wouldn't be so full of 2000's shit.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
We're a stubborn bunch, aren't we? Holding this same poll year after year even when nothing of note has been released. The only purpose this has right now is to cry about the decline of newfags, and the top 5 list is going to be pretty much unchanged. I think it would be better if we didn't do this yearly and only after a few years and/or a notable release.

laclongquan

Arcane
How is it bad, if you can vote just like last time (if you want) and others who want to weigh their votes can do so as well.

A few profilic games get mentioned by most voters, from 1 point to 5 point.

Most of the interesting get too few mentioned, and get at most 2 points.

Hence the final list wont get any difference from others before.

And there's no change, compared to the old method of top 50. Because most profilic games get very strong and weighted votes from casuals. While the top 50 method get you 1 point each game each voter, and there will be astonishing changes over the years, as proved by the best crpg awards just out, compared to the previous years' lists.

Bad system.

funkadelik

Arcane
My votes are all for late 90s and early 2000s games precisely because of the fact I am in my early-mid twenties.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
No matter what happens, it will always be:

Fallout
Planescape Torment
Arcanum (Though this could fall off the list *GASP*)

as the top 3.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Arcanum doesn't belong anywhere near a top 3, but I think it'll still be there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom