Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best cRPGs - DISCUSS THREAD / NOW ACCEPTING REVIEWS

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
So Feb 1 is when you will post the results?
The list yes, not sure about the timing on the reviews and such...

I can write a couple reviews now.

Fallout 1 - awesome. If you like Fallout 3, your a fag.
Planescape: Torment - best writing in a video game. dont be a non-storyfag and enjoy it for what it is.
Fallout: New Vegas - Combination of Fallout 1 with PS:T in a shitty game engine.
Dark Souls - best jrpg, dont be a pussy: play it.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Will there ve any Best RPG of 2013 poll?
:troll:

You mean this: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rpgs-in-2013.88730/

Expeditions: Conquistador is in the lead, with Shadowrun Returns a close second. However, I have a feeling that Paper Sorcerer would be vying for the title if more people had known about it.
Thanks. Wow, what a weak year. Mostly RPG flavoured games are worth considering for RPGOTY. Damn it, industry.

nordbird

Novice
So Feb 1 is when you will post the results?
The list yes, not sure about the timing on the reviews and such...

I can write a couple reviews now.

Fallout 1 - awesome. If you like Fallout 3, your a fag.
Planescape: Torment - best writing in a video game. dont be a non-storyfag and enjoy it for what it is.
Fallout: New Vegas - Combination of Fallout 1 with PS:T in a shitty game engine.
Dark Souls - best jrpg, dont be a pussy: play it.

Can't play Dark Souls where I live because of Game for Windows Live :(

The other 3 games are great tho, I like New Vegas because of the C&C, Dialogues, Skill checks/Skills matter/Stats matter, Multiple ways to do quests, Every playthrough is different, Hunger/Thirst/Sleep mode, etc.

In Fallout 3, the only choices I recall are nuking/saving Megaton, Contaminate water with FEV or not and a few other very minor ones. The entire game New Vegas is all about choices. This can be obvious if you compare the amount of ending sliders for both games.

The guys that made/wrote Fallout 3 didn't know what they were doing. It's open world but very linear compared to New Vegas.

Sadly I think Fallout 4 is being done by Bethesda Game Studios which means we'll get another heavily casualized/action-oriented East Coast linear spin-off where almost all named NPCs are essential, you can lockpick everything, speech is relatively useless/has percentages, food/beds/water are useless except for regenerating 1hp, followers are invincible, etc.

I don't think Obsidian is making a new Fallout game after the 84 rating incident on Metacritic, JSawyer's Steam page says he barely plays his own game.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

I don't think Obsidian is making a new Fallout game after the 84 rating incident on Metacritic, JSawyer's Steam page says he barely plays his own game.

After watching MCA play Arcanum he probably doesn't want to embarrass himself playing New Vegas.

"fucking Cazadores FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!"

nordbird

Novice

After watching MCA play Arcanum he probably doesn't want to embarrass himself playing New Vegas.

"fucking Cazadores FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!"

In the hypothetical case he did and noticed all the major bugs like Cazadores permanently poisoning your followers, would he have the power to release patches? Or is it entirely up to Bethesda? Although I bet they'd decline due to 'Mod compatibility' or something.

Severian Silk

I thank you for the help bro, but we need to think about this. I'm too much of a librul to enjoy just a few people writting about the Kodex Konsensus... That's why I prefer having at least 2 people per game, based on their votes.

But we can use people like you as "reserve", if procrastinators start to fuck things up. :)
Yes, keep tinkering with the poll until you only get answers you like. And it's OK if that means excluding everyone beside yourself. That's the whole reason the poll is "official" to begin with. :salute:

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Expeditions: Conquistador is in the lead, with Shadowrun Returns a close second. However, I have a feeling that Paper Sorcerer would be vying for the title if more people had known about it.

I also have a feeling Path of Exile would probably have gotten a bunch of votes, had it been included in that poll (maybe not vying for the title, but I am definitely butthurt that the dude who made that poll forgot about the best game of 2013). :P

Really weak year overall, though, either way - much like 2012 was.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yes, keep tinkering with the poll until you only get answers you like. And it's OK if that means excluding everyone beside yourself. That's the whole reason the poll is "official" to begin with. :salute:
I'm asking for everyone who voted to write a review, and those who don't want to write are replaced by "reserves". How in the hell is that tinkering it to only get answers I like?

DragoFireheart

I'm asking for everyone who voted to write a review, and those who don't want to write are replaced by "reserves". How in the hell is that tinkering it to only get answers I like?

It is. Your fancy words can't trick us!

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Fallout: New Vegas - Combination of Fallout 1 with PS:T

343377336_HA_HA_HA_OH_WOW_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You mean like publishing first the #60-#51 list with reviews, then the #50-41, and so on? Is a nice idea, would add drama and give more time for the reviews to be written.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You mean like publishing first the #60-#51 list with reviews, then the #50-41, and so on? Is a nice idea, would add drama and give more time for the reviews to be written.
Yes, except the reviews for top 10 will probably be written sooner than those for 41-50. ;-)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Ok, here's what I came up with, regarding the reviews:

Last year's reviews were made by selected monocle gentleman, mostly staff members. Since not everyone played/liked all games in the Top 10, this led to some reviews being "eh, don't like it", or stuff like that; not really helpful. I could assign reviews to people based on what games they voted 5, but that would punish those that voted for various games, without casting any 4 or 5. Since the objective here are good reviews that tell you why to play the games, I've decided to focus solely on that.

Everyone who voted can come and write a short review of whatever games they voted for. This review should be one paragraph long, focusing on why the game is great and people should try it. People should write those in spoiler tags, to make it easier to navigate the thread. Once the voting ends, I'll ask the staff to help select the best ones. That should be faster and produce better content than any other method.

Here's Grunker's review of Baldur's Gate II from last year, it seems to me like a solid example:

Grunker said:
SO. MUCH. CONTENT. Baldur's Gate 2 is easily one of my favourite games. Compared to the production values, this game provides the player with an amount of quality content unmatched in any other RPG, in my opinion. The diversity in encounters, spells, quests and, well, just about everything makes Baldur's Gate 2 a unique and complete experience. The combat is often criticized on the Codex for not being turn-based. This, in my mind, is quite like criticizing a cat for not being a dog. Baldur's Gate 2 has everything I look for in an RPG: A multitude of quests, vast amounts of unique and interesting loot, myriads of monsters to fight and a story which, while not exactly Shakespeare-material, is quite solid and has one of video gaming's most memorable villains. Oh, and Jarl, it doesn't have one of the best interfaces ever, it has THE best interface ever.

Write about games you really have something to say, that you wish someone had pointed you towards it before. The list will go at least until #60, so don't be afraid of writing about more obscure gems; we hardly need 221 reviews of Fallout and Torment. ;)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I appreciate your effort felipe, but is your goal really to get one of these for each of sixty games? Getting it done last year for 10 was a pain in the ass! That said, with some work, I guess it could be done!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I appreciate your effort felipe, but is your goal really to get one of these for each of sixty games? Getting it done last year for 10 was a pain in the ass! That said, with some work, I guess it could be done!
The problem with last year's and mine DS one was we had a lot of voters, but only a few of them were selected to write. You, jarl, infinitron and trash had to all write 10 reviews each.

Here we have 221 voters, and we're asking everyone who wants to write, so spice will flow. Besides, I'm on the Codex asking people to write about their favorite games. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom