Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best cRPGs - DISCUSS THREAD / NOW ACCEPTING REVIEWS

Severian Silk

Wait, so we don't have the actual list published yet, but you just want us to review any game?
Revealing he list now would give room for people to try to influence the results, so i'd rather not do it. I could ask for the reviews once the list is released, but we have 10 days until then, so I thought it was worth a shot of trying to publish everything together.
Isn't that the whole point of this poll?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Not really, having someone voting for Pool of Radiance just so it goes above Risen, or voting for Arx Fatalis just so it enters the top 50 serves no one.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I voted for Of Orcs and Men I don't give a fuck y'all don't know me.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
For tied results, what makes more sense: to priorize the game with most votes, or the one with higher average score? Or fuck that, just list both in alphabetical order?
Go with the higher average score imo. Part of the point was too weed out games that a lot of people had played and felt didn't suck.

You could also do the game that got the most highest votes. So if game A gets 3 5 point votes and game B get 2 5 point votes, game A would win the tie breaker.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The list is done *snort*, now I'm doing next-level pro stuff, like using VBA to check for correlation between the votes. What's really delaying me is that currently I only have internet on my cellphone, so I can't properly post the content I have in my computer...

Niektory

one of some
Patron
Excuses. That's how we submitted content in my day:

old-5-25-floppy-disk-blank-envelope-22667442.jpg

Koschey

Arcane
A little late, but my excuse is that I'm incredibly lazy. More could possibly follow.

Arcanum has its fair share of flaws. Yet it is high up amongst my favourites, because despite its flaws it just hits all the right notes. A high fantasy world in the throes of an industrial revolution with a lot of steampunk thrown in for good measure, accompanied by a great and perfectly fitting soundtrack. Likeable companions, a great villain with a well-reasoned motivation, interesting lore and a nice twist on the usual 'Chosen One' routine. What Arcanum does best, though, is reactivity. Not only do mages, thieves, inventors etc. differ in how they play, but also in how the world treats them. But more than that, basically every choice you make for your character is ackowledged in some way, wether it is in-character decisions, stats, abilities, race, gender, companions or even wardrobe.
If you can stomache the boring combat and the occasional accordingly tedious dungeon crawl, give Arcanum a chance, you will not regret it.

Knights of the Chalice is an insanely focused game based on the 3.5 OGL. 3 classes, 3 races, no skills, Knights of the Chalice does one thing and one thing well: combat-heavy dungeon crawling. Everything unimportant to this experience was cut without mercy and the remains polished to a high degree. Competent enemy AI, hyperlinked ingame rules compendium, enemy variety, interesting character build choices, meaningful combat options, Knights of the Chalice has it all. There is still dialogue and a multitude of choices to make during the game, though most of the time all it affects is order and nature of combat encounters. Difficulty can be scaled according to taste by several options like HP gain on level up, guaranteed 18s when rolling stats, random encounter (re)spawns in dungeons and on the world map, iron man mode and so on. Unfortunately the game can be made almost trivially easy in some ways, like abusing Scribe Scroll for limitless spells per day or packing more than one wizard, though these means are all easily avoidable.
In short: If you enjoyed Dark Sun: Shattered Lands or Temple of Elemental Evil or are just itching for a challenging dungeon crawler, this is the game for you. My recommendation for a satisfying first playthrough: 2 Knights, 1 Wizard, 1 Cleric; no scribing scrolls.

Gothic 2 - Night of the Raven is to Gothic somewhat like what Fallout 2 is to Fallout, just with less Monty Python. That is, it provides more everything, effectively doubling or even tripling in size, improves on the UI (and also some mechanics), yet also loses some of the mood and the atmosphere of its predecessor. There is no handholding, no level-scaling and almost no randomisation, everything is handplaced. Combat is mostly challenging, especially with the expansion; exploring every nook and cranny and sneaking past tough enemies is fun and rewarding. Early in the game, hearing a shadowbeast's snore without being able to spot the beast itself is a positively tense experience. Mortal blows in melee combat with humans are deliberate after knocking them down, allowing NPCs a different reaction than going apeshit trying to kill the player for lifting a soup bowl.
If you like exploring big, consistent worlds without stuff like a quest compass, Gothic 2 - Night of the Raven is a game you should try out.

Last edited:

himmy

Arcane
Is delaying the gratification at the last moment, without giving clear indication on when exactly will you release the final product an homage to the Kickstarter wave?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Is delaying the gratification at the last moment, without giving clear indication on when exactly will you release the final product an homage to the Kickstarter wave?
Sorry for the late update, time flies when you're working hard with stuff that has nothing to do with this project. Since there was a larger number of votes than we expected, the project will be delayed so we can fully produce the list that our voters deserve.

Thank you for your patience, and stay tuned for our next update, when we will announce the date when we'll reveal the target release day of our almost-alpha result list.

We love you all. S2 S2

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Might and Magic VI: The Man Date of HEAVAN

Might and Magic VI was the first installment in the storied Might and Magic series to feature 3D environments, free roaming movement, and optional real-time combat. It's also one of the largest and most content rich blobbers and one of the best RPG's I've ever played. Many an old grognard likes to dismiss the series from this point forward and it's hard to deny that many aspects of gameplay took a downward turn from World of Xeen, but The Mandate of Heaven also features the best and most memorable dungeon design in the series and a general feeling of adventure that is nearly unparalleled. Might and Magic VI doesn't handle you with kid gloves; instead it drops you right into to its huge, dangerous world and asks you to learn to fend for yourself. Oh yeah, and it also has aliens, dragons, robots and laser guns which is pretty damn cool. Play this game.

himmy

Arcane
Sorry for the late update, time flies when you're working hard with stuff that has nothing to do with this project. Since there was a larger number of votes than we expected, the project will be delayed so we can fully produce the list that our voters deserve.

Thank you for your patience, and stay tuned for our next update, when we will announce the date when we'll reveal the target release day of our almost-alpha result list.

We love you all. S2 S2

You forgot to mention that Broken Age launched.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
When you look at Fallout 1 & 2, do you feel happy for the years of fun they gave you, or whine about how you wanted a sequel?

Anyway, I just finished my jobs, now I'm on a bus back to thirdworldian civilization. I'll post the results & cool analysis TONIGHT!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom