Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best cRPGs - DISCUSS THREAD / NOW ACCEPTING REVIEWS

praetor

Arcane
Arcanum doesn't belong anywhere near a top 3, but I think it'll still be there.

you're right. it's so good and ambitious it should be the shining beacon of cRPGs, untouched by all the filthy dredge... head, shoulders and all the moterfucking universe above all the other average crpgs like the fallouts, the storyfaggotry of torments, the genericness of baldur's gate, or the deluge of monotonous blobbers :smug:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
In all the tears I spent on the internet
A Freudian slip if I ever saw one.

you're right. it's so good and ambitious it should be the shining beacon of cRPGs, untouched by all the filthy dredge... head, shoulders and all the moterfucking universe above all the other average crpgs like the fallouts, the storyfaggotry of torments, the genericness of baldur's gate, or the deluge of monotonous blobbers :smug:

:0/5:

Metatron

Augur
Poor Icewind Dale (2). It's not the most spectacular franchise ever made and I'd never put it at the top myself but its soundness is something that is commendable in itself. Like being rock solid is a crime.
While deeply flawed rpgs that do about one thing right and basically everything else completely wrong like "hiking sim but it has an interesting background!" Morrowind and Fillardry 8 will make the top 10 because they have a vocal minority of obsessed, wacky fans that'd give all of their points to one of said games if they could.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Seriously, what's with the sudden influx of utter dumbfucks??

He's not wrong. The Codex completely adores games that do one thing MASSIVELY right and fucks up everything else. Fucking Bloodlines is often in our Top 5 - I helped vote it there!

Metatron

Augur
Icewind Dale 2 is a well-executed game with interesting encounters, the best character system of the IE games, a more fleshed out background than its predecessor, goodlooking atmospheric areas (though IWD1 was probably a tiny bit better in this despartment), an interesting plot that is pretty low-key for once and a pretty good conclusion. The only thing holding it back are its linearity and of course a couple of filler areas like the Ice Temple and that random Mindflayer dungeon in the middle of the game. But it's a decent product for sure, I'll probably give it 1 point.

Ravel myluv

Learned
That VTMB is so loved is a mystery to me, other than the usual suspct fanboyism to Troika.

Its only qualities are immediately tainted by huge defaults:

Great character creation? Horrible level design that doesn't exploit it.
Great mood? Bad writting.
Heavily scenarised quests? Weak replay value because of them.
Several approaches to problems? Swords, guns, hacking? None are fun.

Metatron

Augur
4 points:
Wizardry 8
Fallout 2
So Wizardry 8 is really the absolute best rpg you ever played Zboj? All that makes me feel is pity.
Are you filling your quota on useless elitism here, or is it just the effect of general retardation on your part?
I can't really think of anything more pointlessly elitist than putting Wizardry 8 at the top (well of course an obscure 1988 blobber could be even better but not a lot of people actually played those). Of course since we're on the codex a couple of people are gonna do just that.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, what GLORIOUS INCLINE games have come out in 2013 that would warrant a new edition of the BEST GAME EVER poll?
The Administration™ is trying out a new voting system to see how things shake out.

Except no staff is involved here, like I said. Actually, weren't you one of the people behind setting this up?
I was just trying to be facetious and forgot that's how the forum staff are actually referred to.

Yeah, I really don't get the people giving Arcanum 4 or 5 points. It has a couple of great elements (writing and C&C) but everything else is so broken, that taken as a whole, it's a flawed gem at best, and should not be crowding out much better, more complete games.

Metatron

Augur
That VTMB is so loved is a mystery to me, other than the usual suspct fanboyism to Troika.

Its only qualities are immediately tainted by huge defaults:

Great character creation? Horrible level design that doesn't exploit it.
Great mood? Bad writting.
Heavily scenarised quests? Weak replay value because of them.
Several approaches to problems? Swords, guns, hacking? None are fun.
I agree.
Troika seems to receive a lot of credit for the writing on Bloodlines but for someone who is actually familiar with the White Wolf source material (when I was young I had an older cousin obsessed with this setting and he kept going on about it) not a lot of it is very revelatory. I mean, Troika basically just copy-pasted the basic lore from the pnp books without really adding a lot of decent story material of their own. So basically most NPCs end up being just typical clan archetypes who kept expositing World of Darkness lore I already knew and who behaved exactly as you'd expect them to behave, which made the game very predictable. There are a few nice surprises like Therese but unfortunatly those are few and far between. I guess this was a different experience for someone who isn't familiar with the setting at all but I wish there were more characters like that that are a bit more than just WoD lore-dumps.
And lets not forget how it completely falls apart halfway. And how the combat is pretty terrible. Weakest of the Troika games for me.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Is NWN2: mask of the betrayer worth checking out?

I hear it's got bad camera stuff.. lot of crash and bugs..

any patches or mods you guys recommend to get the best playthrough???

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Yeah, I really don't get the people giving Arcanum 4 or 5 points. It has a couple of great elements (writing and C&C) but everything else is so broken, that taken as a whole, it's a flawed gem at best, and should not be crowding out much better, more complete games.
It all depends on whether you really, really, really like those elements so much that you can not only overlook, but actually forget all the shit that's bundled with them.

I agree.
Troika seems to receive a lot of credit for the writing on Bloodlines but for someone who is actually familiar with the White Wolf source material (when I was young I had an older cousin obsessed with this setting and he kept going on about it) not a lot of it is very revelatory. I mean, Troika basically just copy-pasted the basic lore from the pnp books without really adding a lot of decent story material of their own. So basically most NPCs end up being just typical clan archetypes who kept expositing World of Darkness lore I already knew and who behaved exactly as you'd expect them to behave, which made the game very predictable. There are a few nice surprises like Therese but unfortunatly those are few and far between. I guess this was a different experience for someone who isn't familiar with the setting at all but I wish there were more characters like that that are a bit more than just WoD lore-dumps.
And lets not forget how it completely falls apart halfway. And how the combat is pretty terrible. Weakest of the Troika games for me.
Not to mention that the much lauded Malkavian dialogue is actually fishmalk to the max. Still like the game a lot though.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
felipepepe: might I suggest leaving the poll open longer than till the end of January? Also, Juan_Carlo's way of voting is exactly what I predicted a lot of folks would do :M
This is actually fine though. The idea of the poll is to get the games which are actually beloved closer to the top than the game which are well known and mildly enjoyed.

Personally, I voted for more games because I knew that I could give a few good, not great games a single point while weighting the games I really loved higher.

Also, I'm seeing a lot of 2012s and 2013s voting, should be a higher turnout than last year.

Ravel myluv

Learned
Is NWN2: mask of the betrayer worth checking out?

I hear it's got bad camera stuff.. lot of crash and bugs..

any patches or mods you guys recommend to get the best playthrough???

Also interested in this. And is it necessary to develop a character in NWN2 and then move on to MOTB?
Or can I just create a level 1 character in MOTB without having to play the chore that NWN2 apparently is?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
is it necessary to develop a character in NWN2 and then move on to MOTB?
Or can I just create a level 1 character in MOTB without having to play the chore that NWN2 apparently is?
of you can stand the oc, then you should play it first, but it's not really needed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom