Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best cRPGs - DISCUSS THREAD / NOW ACCEPTING REVIEWS

Metatron

Augur
Is NWN2: mask of the betrayer worth checking out?

I hear it's got bad camera stuff.. lot of crash and bugs..

any patches or mods you guys recommend to get the best playthrough???

Also interested in this. And is it necessary to develop a character in NWN2 and then move on to MOTB?
Or can I just create a level 1 character in MOTB without having to play the chore that NWN2 apparently is?
Don't bother with the NWN2 OC, it's shit and there's almost no connection with the MotB campaign so you can easily skip it. The game allows you to create a new character and level it up before the start of the game of a MotB campaign so you don't have to play through the OC.
And yes, it's a worthy game. Flawed because of the shitty engine and silly high level D&D combat but as a storyfag (and to a lesser extent settingfag) experience it's probably the next best thing behind PS:T.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Is NWN2: mask of the betrayer worth checking out?

I hear it's got bad camera stuff.. lot of crash and bugs..

any patches or mods you guys recommend to get the best playthrough???

Also interested in this. And is it necessary to develop a character in NWN2 and then move on to MOTB?
Or can I just create a level 1 character in MOTB without having to play the chore that NWN2 apparently is?
Don't bother with the NWN2 OC, it's shit and there's almost no connection with the MotB campaign so you can easily skip it. The game allows you to create a new character and level it up before the start of the game of a MotB campaign so you don't have to play through the OC.
And yes, it's a worthy game. Flawed because of the shitty engine and silly high level D&D combat but as a storyfag (and to a lesser extent settingfag) experience it's probably the next best thing behind PS:T.

Cool thanks bro !

Ravel myluv

Learned
Thanks for the answers! Definitely a storyfag so I'll skip NWN2 and check out MOTB! :incline:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I liked NWN2 OC. It starts rather bad with the adoptive father shit, but I'm very fond of certain parts, especially the trial bit.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
After thinking about it too much, I have settled on voting only on the games I have actually both finished and enjoyed. That rules out some gems I have really liked (Anachronox, Arcanum, Bloodlines, Divinities, KotC), but never got around to completing, as well as stuff I managed to beat but would never look at again (Icewind Dales, Fable, Final Fantasy 7, ME2&3, etc.).

Well, I haven't actually finished M&M VII, but I was really close, so I'm still counting it.

I would prefer a weighted top 10 (F1-style), but this is still a good effort to shake up the list a bit (even if the Codex top 5 is basically set in stone). 25 points seems both too much and too little, so it's probably the optimal amount.

Anyway, IMO such lists are best when they are made by experts, so they don't turn into popularity votes. I like the format Dice Tower adopted for their top 10 board games lists (three guys with different tastes make their top 10s independently and then mutually ciriticize/defend their choices). Not that people-made lists are irrelevant - just the contrary.

I would love to see some thematic top X lists on the Codex. The RPG genre is so vast, it would be easy to think of some criteria to make some cool lists (top open world RPGs, top party-based RPGs, top 3rd person ARPGs, top sci-fi RPGs, etc.).

Last edited:

Gregz

Arcane
...and you should have gone with my suggested system. This one penalises games where the voter has played a lot of titles (if you're looking at averages) or if you're doing a cumulative system it still favours popular games over older titles that less people have played.

Link to your suggestion?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
...and you should have gone with my suggested system. This one penalises games where the voter has played a lot of titles (if you're looking at averages) or if you're doing a cumulative system it still favours popular games over older titles that less people have played.
On the contrary, it is working perfectly, even better than I expected.

I counted almost all votes so far, up to half of page 4 and 81 votes, and here's the graphic of the Top 30:

rtwnPNu.jpg

As you indeed said, the Top 5 have the majority of votes; PS:T, F1 and F2 reign supreme, with a big gap to BG II and Arcanum, and then another big gap to Wizardry 8 at #6, followed by a very neat curve until #30. The thing is, from the start, the Top 5 was defined. Those games are the Codex's Top 5 since fucking 2002, that's not gonna change until some really good stuff appears. Adding artificial rules so that doesn't happens means simply lying about the Codex's tastes, they were hors concours from the go.

People that played few games usually all spend most points on the Top 5, keeping only 5 or 10 points for less popular games, while those that played a lot of titles don't spend a lot on the Top 5, spreading them among the less popular titles. And they have a lot of games to vote for, so they rarely allocate 4 or 5 points, unless they really love it.

So, for games in the 6-50 range, every point counts; newfags and inexperienced players giving 5 points to shit games are not getting in the way; and IWD 2 was #14 on last year's list, but now is at #39. I say it is a success so far.
:dance:
The points system will stand a good chance of knocking Icewind Dale down. Which is its stated goal, so in that it is a success.
Can anyone point me to the thread where this was stated? I missed it, apparently. felipepepe ?
It wasn't a angry revenge against Icewind Dale II, just a goal of removing the super-popular RPGs that everyone played and liked, but that aren't really deserving of Top 10, like Baldur's Gate 1 and Icewind Dale II.

Last edited:

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath

I'd just like to state my agreement with this - I recently went through the OC, partly to be able to import my character into MotB. I wrote a TL;DR impressions post here, but the short version is that it was totally, utterly NOT worth it. Just read the plot summary on Wikipedia and go straight to MotB.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
what did you spoiler that for?
I don't want to discuss much about the vote while it's happening, it might affect how people are voting. But I guess that just removing the names in the graph is enough.

And I'm expecting around 200 votes, like it was in last year's poll, so we aren't even halfway there.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The points system will stand a good chance of knocking Icewind Dale down. Which is its stated goal, so in that it is a success.
Can anyone point me to the thread where this was stated? I missed it, apparently. felipepepe ?
It wasn't a angry revenge against Icewind Dale II, just a goal of removing the super-popular RPGs that everyone played and liked, but that aren't really deserving of Top 10, like Baldur's Gate 1 and Icewind Dale II.
Hey, I'm all for removing IceWind Dales from the top (they were really mediocre games IMO), so have a :bro: for that.

Less so with BG1. ;)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
By the way I voted for Bastion. Is it considered a RPG in Codex standard?
There's a lot of people voting, if a game reaches the top, is because a lot of people agree that it is a RPG. That's good enough for me (obvious trolls excluded).

Less so with BG1. ;)
I really like BG1, and always replay he entire series back to back with WeiDU, but it simply isn't on par with the other games on the top of the list.

Emulation.
Emulation is not allowed, but if you actually manage to emulate Dragon's Dogma on a PC, I'll let it slip. Just share the secret.

Metatron

Augur
Hey, I'm all for removing IceWind Dales from the top (they were really mediocre games IMO), so have a :bro: for that.

Less so with BG1. ;)
It's the other way around. Weakest story, weakest encounter design, weakest writing despite the Icewind Dales being dungeon crawlers, random and incoherent worldbuilding, excruciatingly terrible dungeons... I did enjoy Baldurs Gate for what it was back in the day and it was a necessary test case for the IE-engine but no amount of exploration compulsive fog of war clearing of bland and empty areas makes up for the many glaring flaws and worse, the fact that unlike Arcanum, ToEE etc. it doesn't really excel at anything. The best thing about BG1 is the fact that it made BG2 possible.
So yeah, it's a typical "I'd vote for it when I have to select 25 good rpgs" kind of game but in the current system I won't.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I'm extremely butthurt that I can't vote for Dragon's Dogma.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom