Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2019 - RESULTS ARE OUT!

Mustawd

The fact that we don’t include Chrono Trigger is fucking retarded felipepepe.

Ok I said my piece. Will vote later this weekend.

Quillon

Arcane
I want to understand WHY. It’s a ridiculous distinction.

You haven't seen "ridiculous distinction" :D

Bloodlines 2 (which is popamole I guess but is a sequel to a classic game by some of the same people so we'll let it slide)
By that logic shouldn't The Outer Worlds be here as well?

Not a sequel.
Only in name? "Spiritual successor to FNV from original creators of the series". Sure seems close.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't see how "every single game ever" is much worse than "every single game ever released on PC". Not that I give a shit, since I wouldn't vote for a console game in any case.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I don't see how "every single game ever" is much worse than "every single game ever released on PC".
The Codex is a PC-focused forum, in an ocean of websites and forums that are devoted to consoles. People can go anywhere else vote for Chrono Trigger.

Basically, the idea is to be the opposite of this: https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...nal-update-top-101-up-plus-many-extras.53930/

That list :) Why would anyone put trivia and names of key staff members in the short description of essential games? "This developers has a cute name, so I guess will play this game" Who thinks like that? Why develop a complex systems of icons readers needs to scroll up to check or open a new tab, when you can just write all info into neat table? There is like a very small paragraph of relevant information consisting of user short reviews. Too short. Complete insanity.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I know this voting system isn't the best, but it's really nice to have the exact same system as the last one to compare the results.

About 70% of the games are in very similar places, what really changed are the new fan-favorites taking the place of mediocre titles, like Risen 1 getting replaced by ELEX.

cruel

Cipher
Maybe, when this voting is over, we can make a similar voting for console-only RPG? Same rules, same number of points to distribute, the only restriction is that game was a console exclusive when it came out (so we keep games like Chrono Trigger, but don't dominate everything with Dark Souls 1 / 2/ 3). I'm curious to see what is Codex favorite console RPG.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Why are JRPGs even considered? They have nothing in common with rpgs. They're either totally linear non-interactive skinner box grindfests (FF series etc..) or third person single player fighting games (dark souls etc..). What makes an rpg an rpg isn't present in either.

Also wtf are strategy games like ftl and xcom doing there? Just rename the poll to "games rpgcodex likes" and drop rpg if you're gonna do this crap

Shin

Cipher
Why are JRPGs even considered? They have nothing in common with rpgs. They're either totally linear non-interactive skinner box grindfests (FF series etc..) or third person single player fighting games (dark souls etc..). What makes an rpg an rpg isn't present in either.

Also wtf are strategy games like ftl and xcom doing there? Just rename the poll to "games rpgcodex likes" and drop rpg if you're gonna do this crap

So.. what makes a rpg?

:whatho:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

So.. what makes a rpg?

:whatho:

• Non-linear, interactive storytelling and gameplay
  • sense of 'openness'
For a game to be an RPG, it needs to feel like playing PnP DND etc.. Where you build a character/party and explore and interact with the world as the character.

In JRPGs you play as a prebuilt character with 100% on rails predetermined path and have little if any interactivity. Hence not an rpg. I shouldn't need to explain how strategy games like xcom aren't rpgs, but if your definition of rpg is that loose then put all 25 of my points on hearthstone or rollercoaster tycoon.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
So is FF7 acceptable or not?
It is, got a PC port in 1998.

But really, WTF vote for it here?

oh ok so definition of rpg is "it's on pc hurr hurr
rating_retarded.png
"

In that case I'd like to re-allocate my vote points to google chrome.

Even you said that the list should be the opposite of this crap:

The Codex is a PC-focused forum, in an ocean of websites and forums that are devoted to consoles. People can go anywhere else vote for Chrono Trigger.

Basically, the idea is to be the opposite of this: https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...nal-update-top-101-up-plus-many-extras.53930/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom