Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2019 - RESULTS ARE OUT!

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by felipepepe, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Jasede
    I don't think that's weird at all.

^ Top  
  2. fork Cipher

fork
    Yeah, I don't care whether you call it a top 50, top 80 or top 100, as long as you show the full results somewhere.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    Accounts with less than 1 million messages should be excluded.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 7
    • Funny x 6
    • Agree x 2
    • M: x 2
    • decline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Grauken Divide and Confuse Patron

Grauken
    Yeah, if you can't manage at least 20 posts per year since you joined, you're either an alt or not really part of the community and shouldn't count

• Agree Agree x 4
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • :( :( x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Jamma Novice

Jamma
    It works for Trails in the Sky, but Geneforge games are standalone and most people don't play them in order. Can't think of other games where I would combine votes.

Looking at the votes, 70 seems like a reasonable number. 100 is too much since the last places are occupied by games that got 10 votes - which means two people gave them 5 points as a joke. It doesn't mean much.
    I would like to see full results anyway.

Are there going to be reviews like the last time? That was the best part of the list. It wasn't just random names, and it wasn't full of meaningless superlatives either.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    ^ Top  
  6. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Sure, especially since we can just reuse like 70% of the previous list.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • incline incline x 4
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. S.torch Learned

S.torch
    I'm still waiting to know if you excluded the extra point felipepepe

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    Edit: I misread this, Nano is correct. Combining all of them would artificially inflate their value.

Use extreme discretion. Dismiss obvious trolls, shills, and newfags. Especially dismiss anyone weighing in heavily on the more recent titles.

If there's a point tie, the title with more votes should 'win' and be placed on top. Last time you chose to list the top 72, because it was at 72 where any sign of statistical consensus dropped off. Why not use the same criteria here? Don't pick an arbitrary number, let the statistics tell you when to stop, like last time.

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Nano
    There's a lot of bias in your points. No series should be getting special treatment. And as for the post-vote start accounts, it would be best to just stick to the rule already established by felipepepe.

^ Top  
  10. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Yes.

^ Top  
  11. North Gibraltarian Dog Educated

North Gibraltarian Dog
    Anarcho-gypsy confederation of latino-moors
    You know the results better, but I think the drop in positions since last poll is specially significative in pre-1995 games. Pools of Darkness, Ultima Underworld 2 or ADOM are below 80th position this time isn't it?

Probably a list that included as many classics as possible could be more representative of crpgs in their whole and not simply a trend. Specially thinking in the impact outside the codex where last decade games dominates every ranking of "best rpgs".

Edit: Pools of Radiance, Ultima Underground... I'm going to sleep.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. TT1 Cipher Patron

TT1
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    100 should be ok. and, oh, the number of votes shouldnt matter as its part of the methodology. Its fair! Lets stick to it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. SniperHF Arcane

SniperHF
    Lurkers (with pre voting join dates) are okay. No new accounts.

80 looks good based on voting. Maybe if you get a few from the lower levels that move up with last minute voting up it to 85. I still kind of like the idea of having the list be as long as any game that was on the old top 70. Minus something that just fell completely off the map obviously.

I personally wouldn't combine titles based on franchise but I'm not super stuck on that idea. I assume you're asking this question cause one or both of th ose would fall off the list when they were on it before.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. S.torch Learned

S.torch
    Thanks

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    No, they should not be combined. The rules should be as simple as possible. Complications like that will only lead to further neverending complications and more and more gray areas.

No. Your rule was clear that no new accounts should vote. Do not change the rules after the vote started. Do not vindicate the people who didn't follow the simple rules. You also don't want to punish the people who respected your rules.

Top 75 or Top 80 should be OK. Make a brief honorable mention at the end for the games that just missed the list.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Urthor Arbiter Patron

Urthor
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    As a card carrying storyfag NWN gameplay (and camera) is literally so bad I cannot enjoy the story, it's honestly cringe.

TITS 1 and 2 are the same game, part 1 and 2, and what most people mean when they say Trails in the Sky.

TITS 3 is a clearly different game.

I'd at least combine 1 and 2 minimum and all three if you are feeling frisky.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    felipepepe
    I agree with Trashos, except I would prefer top 100 over top 80 because there will be some gems in the 81-100 spots and because it serves for a better clickbait and because people might accidentally stumble upon our list instead of IGN top 100 or Gamestop top 100 or Gry-online top 100 RPGs.

As for new accounts, don't include those votes (the rules were clear) BUT add the information how results would look like if they had been included.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  18. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Voting is closed. Will reveal result soon, but just want to show one thing for now:

[​IMG]

The consensus is: there's no consensus.

• Balanced x 21
    • Funny x 10
    • Despair x 3
    • honk honk! x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • decline x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Ismaul Arcane Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    No.

And I'd say, if someone has less than 25 posts on the Codex (or an agreed upon number), and just activated their sleeper account to vote, they also shouldn't be counted.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • :( :( x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. HarveyBirdman Learned

HarveyBirdman
    >Nobody plays only Dark Souls 2, and all the Souls games are pretty similar, so let's combine the points. (No, we shouldn't get into that. I like bundling in expansion packs, but let's not combine entirely different games that were released as different games.)

>Accounts made after the poll started? No way. Could easily be alts. Are probably alts.

>100 seems less arbitrary than 70. Also good number of Codexians voted for these games, so while being listed at number 98 may not be a badge of honor, it at least serves as a guide for games worth mentioning. I expect a lot of these titles are obscure.

^ Top  
  21. S.torch Learned

S.torch
    100 seems to much. Did "some" places do another similar top 100 games?
    Less games made the top look more special or different from other sites

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Fluent Arcane Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    I say go with 100. The last 30 or so will be interesting because they're lesser known or lesser praised. Plus you can get hits from people just searching "top 100 rpgs" or top 100 lists...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    highlight the top 14 and make the full list 88

• honk honk! x 6
    • Funny x 3
    • Prestigious x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Butter Learned

Butter
    I find this sensible.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. AdolfSatan Learned

AdolfSatan
    I approve this message.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)