Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2019 - RESULTS ARE OUT!

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Witcher 3 isn't an RPG, it's an action-adventure game.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well... It's a list.

You can chart a graph with how the old guard is dying or moving on. Do you think in 20 years it'll be Dragon Age and Witcher 3 at the top?

SmoothPimp

Educated
I really want to understand all the bitching about Witcher 3. I just dont understand why Codex (pretend to) hate it so much.
It's fairly good action/adventure with strong main plot, annoying repetitive grinding once you leave main roads and unsuccessful attempts to apply tabletop game conventions to a linear cinematic adventure.

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
I really want to understand all the bitching about Witcher 3. I just dont understand why Codex (pretend to) hate it so much.

Excellent game with outstanding soundtrack, nice visuals, nice story and good rpg elements. Its a pretty good action rpg.

You need to get a life and move on.
It's a great, beautiful and fun game.
And a bad RPG.
We play predefined character without a say about his personality, his combat style or his problem solving methods.
Autoleveling loot is atrocious. Quests solving is following quest compass and/or witch sense.
So it's not deep on that RPG elements and not doing them good.
It can be perceived as a better game than Underrail, Gothic, BG1 or Wizardry. Ok.
But can it be perceived as a better RPG? I don't think so. But Codex is apparently thinks so (well, if counted without downvoting).

V_K

Arcane
Here is the Results WITH downvoting!
1ENnmzk.png

Most affected games positions:
Wither 3: 30 lower in list !!!
PoE1: 24 lower
D:OS2: 22 lower
ELEX: 15 lower
DA:O: 15 lower
D:OS1: 8 lower

Many people downvoted Planescape: Torment and BG2, but their positions are stable.

EDIT Sorry, corrected the link to image
Disappointing that the overall effect isn't more pronounced (though I might be the one to blame for it because of limiting the downvoting points to 10 instead of 25), but at least some oldies have moved up a bit.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Excellent game with outstanding soundtrack, nice visuals, nice story and good rpg elements. Its a pretty good action rpg.

And a bad RPG.
We play predefined character without a say about his personality, his combat style or his problem solving methods.
Autoleveling loot is atrocious. Quests solving is following quest compass and/or witch sense.
So it's not deep on that RPG elements and not doing them good.
It can be perceived as a better game than Underrail, Gothic, BG1 or Wizardry. Ok.
But can it be perceived as a better RPG? I don't think so. But Codex is apparently thinks so (well, if counted without downvoting).

Ok, I agree with you.

The thing is: I see people complaining about Witcher more than complaining about similar games. Looks like people just complain because the game was a massive blockbuster

majorsoccer

Prospernaut
Shitposter

And a bad RPG.

mechanically The Witcher 3 is more RPG than Gothic

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
Disappointing that the overall effect isn't more pronounced (though I might be the one to blame for it because of limiting the downvoting points to 10 instead of 25), but at least some oldies have moved up a bit.

Well, I like that version more, thank you for the thread!

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
inXile is also doing slightly worse than I had expected. Compared to the original games, their results have been mixed:

WL2 is winning against WL1 (12 points vs 8)
BT4 is losing against BT2 (0 vs 1)
Numenera vs PST would be too cruel to spell out

In a shocking twist, Wasteland turned things around and beat WL2 in the final tally (17 vs 15).

WL2 is still inXile's highest ranked game at #88, ahead of Numenera at #178 and BT4 and Mage's Tale at zero votes each.

SmoothPimp

Educated
The thing is: I see people complaining about Witcher more than complaining about similar games. Looks like people just complain because the game was a massive blockbuster
Proportional to disagreement with general opinion. Why would complain about Bound by Flame if it's considered shitty even among casual players?

Q

Augur
Patron
In Gothic you can choose a camp. You can choose a class.
It has much more interesting exploration, and hand placed loot.
So it's more ROLE playing game, where you can play different roles in different playthrough and game will react to that.
That's my definition of RPG. And of course you can have yours.
I just want to have new games not to blindly copying W3 and calling themselves "RPG" but to improve on the best genre examples.
Compelling loot system, meaningful world exploration, real choices and consequences.

Neurohaox

Novice
It would be nice to have a column with points/number of votes to see average 'Fanboy Factor' id est how strong are feels towards given title considering number of votes. ( Yeah everyone can do this on their own, but would be nice for fast comparison )

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Trashos

Arcane
The whole voting system is shit and rigged in a way that create conflicts between Codexers (as if we haven't enough of this shit already), why the fuck people should be forced to choose between games that they love? If I understand correctly, there is no commercial reason behind poll, so why the fuck we don't have a poll where you need to rate ALL fucking game in list + new ones and not only few "chosen one"? We have only like 400 people who interested in RPG, so I don't see a reason why there should be "competition" in votes, it's like forcing last two dodos in a race and reward will be title of "True last Dodo".

The way I see it, if people were allowed to vote for as many games as they wanted, mediocre high-profile games would do great just because they 'd gather lots of 1-point votes.

Negative votes might alleviate that effect, but then games with clear and idiosyncratic vision/design would be punished, while more mediocre games with more run-of-the-mill designs would fare better. I am not sure I would like that.

No voting system would have been perfect, but I think the one used is pretty decent.

Efe

Erudite
In Gothic you can choose a camp. You can choose a class.
It has much more interesting exploration, and hand placed loot.
So it's more ROLE playing game, where you can play different roles in different playthrough and game will react to that.
That's my definition of RPG. And of course you can have yours.
I just want to have new games not to blindly copying W3 and calling themselves "RPG" but to improve on the best genre examples.
Compelling loot system, meaningful world exploration, real choices and consequences.
in witcher you play the role of witcher geralt. In baldurs gate you are bhaalspawn. ın tyranny fatebinder, poe the watcher.
that ROLE is the weakest argument you could make. whats next ? rpgs with classless systems will be excluded?

TheGameSquid

Scholar
Personally, while I'm perfectly willing to accept that someone's opinion is that The Witcher 3 isn't a great RPG, the truth is that 80% of the edgelords on the Codex claim it's a "shit game" in general.
More nuanced opinions would have been nice, but I guess this is the Codex...

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Here is the Results WITH downvoting!
Most affected games positions:
Wither 3: 30 lower in list !!!
PoE1: 24 lower
D:OS2: 22 lower
ELEX: 15 lower
DA:O: 15 lower
D:OS1: 8 lower
I completely disagree with downvotes to D:OS2, since all people who still butthurt about this game haven't got any arguments to back up their opinion, besides "it's mediocre" without any definition what's mediocre in first place. I mean, this game had some major flaws, but it wasn't THAT bad.
However I completely agree with anti-Witcher campaign, since it's isn't really good RPG. Also it's nice to see Arx Fatalis managed to sneak in poll version with downvotes.

You need to get a life and move on. If Witcher is not a RPG, the same could be said about Dark Souls and lots of other games on this list.
1)Soundtrack, artstyle & visuals and story is nice to have, but they are part of all games, not only RPG.
2) Good rpg elements? Really? You not only unable to role-play anyone besides Geralt, but you can't even alter play style so you can play ANYTHING different than witcher (in terms of combat style).
If Witcher is not a RPG, the same could be said about Dark Souls and lots of other games on this list.
As shitty as Dark Souls games is, they at least allow people to to create distinct enough characters every walkthrough and not only slightly different version of Geralt.

Hint: before suggesting to someone "getting life", try to do the same, asshole.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The Witcher 3 isn't a great RPG, the truth is that 80% of the edgelords on the Codex claim it's a "shit game" in general.
I think it's rather a "shit game", the gameplay mechanics are terrible, combat is way too easy, potions & other craftables are pointless in comparison to The Witcher 1, etc. Its world mechanics are a shitty copy of Gothic's, not to talk about the terrible monster level gating (higher level monsters get a huge % boost in damage resistance), and it's just too huge. But it's mostly very well written, with interesting quests and some C&C. So, mediocre gameplay, ok RPG, good writing?

Neurohaox

Novice
It would be nice to have a column with points/number of votes to see average 'Fanboy Factor' id est how strong are feels towards given title considering number of votes. ( Yeah everyone can do this on their own, but would be nice for fast comparison )
Was more interested in titles that have more than one vote, sort of denounced myself but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5cL3NAI.png

majorsoccer

Prospernaut
Shitposter
alright ! i am tired of shitposting for now,i need go to school in 15 minutes ! i will be back tonight,bye friends !

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom