Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2019 - RESULTS ARE OUT!

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by felipepepe, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Rinslin Merwind Learned

Rinslin Merwind
    I completely disagree with downvotes to D:OS2, since all people who still butthurt about this game haven't got any arguments to back up their opinion, besides "it's mediocre" without any definition what's mediocre in first place. I mean, this game had some major flaws, but it wasn't THAT bad.
    However I completely agree with anti-Witcher campaign, since it's isn't really good RPG. Also it's nice to see Arx Fatalis managed to sneak in poll version with downvotes.
    1)Soundtrack, artstyle & visuals and story is nice to have, but they are part of all games, not only RPG.
    2) Good rpg elements? Really? You not only unable to role-play anyone besides Geralt, but you can't even alter play style so you can play ANYTHING different than witcher (in terms of combat style).
    As shitty as Dark Souls games is, they at least allow people to to create distinct enough characters every walkthrough and not only slightly different version of Geralt.

Hint: before suggesting to someone "getting life", try to do the same, asshole.

• Brofist x 2
    • butthurt x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • No x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Ismaul Arcane Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    I think it's rather a "shit game", the gameplay mechanics are terrible, combat is way too easy, potions & other craftables are pointless in comparison to The Witcher 1, etc. Its world mechanics are a shitty copy of Gothic's, not to talk about the terrible monster level gating (higher level monsters get a huge % boost in damage resistance), and it's just too huge. But it's mostly very well written, with interesting quests and some C&C. So, mediocre gameplay, ok RPG, good writing?

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Neurohaox Novice

Neurohaox
    Was more interested in titles that have more than one vote, sort of denounced myself but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  4. majorsoccer Prospernaut Shitposter

majorsoccer
    alright ! i am tired of shitposting for now,i need go to school in 15 minutes ! i will be back tonight,bye friends !

• Shit x 3
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. ESh Arcane

ESh
    [​IMG]

OMG Dragonfall beat Divinity Original Sin

FUCK
    :yeah:

FIVE

FUCKING

YEARS

LOST TO D:OS IN THE RPGOTY 2014 POLL.

LOST TO D:OS IN THE BEST RPG OF 2012-2016 POLL.

BUT IT'S FINE NOW

DRAGONFALL FINALLY BEAT DIVINITY

FUCK YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

• Funny x 16
    • incline x 7
    • decline x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Ismaul Arcane Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Hold your horses now, it only beat it because people split their votes between DOS1 and 2, while in the case of Dragonfall it's clearly the best of the recent Shadowrun games.

That's kind of a flaw of the voting system with limited points. Might very well be why Fallout is not #1, since votes are split with Fallout 2.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. TheGameSquid Educated

TheGameSquid
    I agree more or less with your assessment of the game's qualities. Personally, I did enjoy the story, writing and C&C quite a bit, so I still wouldn't call it "shit". I enjoyed its positive qualities and found its pitfalls rather easy to ignore (like you said, combat is easy anyway) To each his own.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. SmoothPimp Novice

SmoothPimp
    So Nier: Automata is a hidden gem.

• No No x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. szaretrilby Barely Literate

szaretrilby
    Damn... I've somehow missed that votes from new accounts are not counted. I'm either retarded, over-worked or cannot read (possibly a combination of the three). Seems I just have to wait for the next vote in 5 years...

Anyways, good job on the list felipepepe and everyone :)

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Ismaul Arcane Patron

Ismaul
    I mean "shit game" in the sense of gameplay alone. I liked the writing and C&C, and that counts for a lot and even overrides some gameplay shittyness IMO -- and so thinks the Codex since PST is #1 -- but ultimately I couldn't finish it. Too fucking long if you like exploration. Took a break and never came back.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Q Augur Patron

Q
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
    No, my argument is not "just role". Role is not something meaningful when you don't have other roles.
    So my argument is about game allowing you to play different roles in different playthroughs and how good said game is reacting to it.
    Roles can differ by many tools in game: story, combat, quest solving, items. Good RPG gives you good tools to play different roles. Creating feeling that your character is subjective actor in the game's world, and not just some plot object.
    For example Witcher 2 gives you two different branches for you decisions in the ending of first chapter. Witcher 3 choices and consequnecs are far inferior in it's story.
    You can't even change combat roles much: you are still the witcher with a sword. You only choose how much you want to use magic signs and alchemy.
    It's not a binary category either. Wither 3 do have RPG elements. But they are shallow and bad. Autolevelling loot, gated mobs, very limited character advancement, very minor story C&C.
    Your playthrough of W3 probably don't really differ from mine or anyone else. That's what I meant about different roles.
    It's a cool game with beautiful graphics and nice writing, but it's just not doing it's RPG elements well.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    360+ voters is a very good sample for what we are (a niche gaming audience in a forum) in a specific but not very essential and non-economic action (voting for what games we like, typing them out).

You can imagine us as a politic junkie base who care enough to go to a meeting to be vocal about something not essential. Think about it. Have a meeting. Have an nonessential issue. 360 voices speak up voluntarily and without prompting, speaking in details.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Marten Broadcloak Learned

Marten Broadcloak
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Wait, people were not supposed to vote based on nostalgia?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    It's a meme like for grimoire, in all honesty elex is mediocre, do not waste your money . Grimoire was the biggest meme , it is an honest attempt at being a wizardry 7 clone but it doesn't achieve greatness the itemization was terrible and the encounters trivial. Japs are doing better at wizardry now with titles like elminage or even those Nintendo ds titles like etrian odissey.

• retadred retadred x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Q Augur Patron

Q
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
    ELEX is okay if you like Piranha Bytes style. Quests, exploration, hand placed loot.
    It's certainly worse than Gothics 1&2 but better than Risen 2&3

• Yes Yes x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Daidre Learned

Daidre
    My impression that PB never made anything better than Gothic 2. It's place in the list is well deserved, but Gothic 3 was so disappointing that I never got to playing any Risen.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. unfairlight ヽ(✿゚▽゚)ノ Patron

unfairlight
    You're right that Gothic 2 is their magnum opus, but all their other games have merits, still. Gothic 3 is by far their weakest.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    ^ Top  
  18. SmoothPimp Novice

SmoothPimp
    Does Pool of Radiance have the best gameplay among CRPG games ever? At least, role-playing system.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. unfairlight ヽ(✿゚▽゚)ノ Patron

unfairlight

• Funny x 6
    • Prestigious x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. ushas Savant

ushas
    Oh no, it's already over :negative:
    Not cool felipepepe. When a deadline is announced it's usually till end of that day :argh:

(you're fully free to do as wish as it's your poll and kudos for work... just that when finally decided to vote on codex, oh well, hehe)

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Lord_Potato Erudite

Lord_Potato
    I liked ELEX more than Risen 1. Risen was just a shadow of Gothic 2, without many fresh ideas. Just a remake with slightly changed names, because they lost the rights to the original IP.

Elex on the other hand was quite fresh. I liked the crazy worldbuilding, geographical variaty, very different factions, bizarre mutants, post-apocalyptic feel. All those desolate settlements, military bases, research facilities, fragments of documents, recordings from before the comet... Also the ending was not as long, boring and dissapointing as usual Gothic/Risen style dungeon crawl.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Neurohaox Novice

Neurohaox
    I sort of agree with the dogma considering it non crpg title, but then system shock, witcher, soulsgames and possibly some other titles should be excluded too. Nevertheless, considering it storywise not mechanics (well technically mechanics are there, but you won't have a character sheet, and have predefined character - in the end it is how you define crpg title ) it is a gem though in my humble newfaggish opinion. And i'm actually isometric-school based geezer, yet i find it deserves a spot - most of the time I find it underrated or unknown since it came out on PC without keyboard and mouse support.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. SmoothPimp Novice

SmoothPimp
    Kinda like hipster description of modern open-world AAA action / rpg. Which is cool, but isn't it the basics of hatred towards these games?

^ Top  
  24. DJOGamer PT Magister

DJOGamer PT
    I am pleased with this list. It's fairly good.
    Of course there's one major issue with it.
    Witcher 3 is in 15th fucking place but Arx Fatallis is not even in the top 50.
    This forum needs an inquisition.

• Deus Vult Deus Vult x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Efe Learned

Efe
    true witcher 2 is leaps ahead in route difference but w3 has drastic outcomes for its major quest givers and main characters.
    afaik there are very few autoleveled loot in w3, unless you mean upgradable equipment and while you get a lot of skill points its not enough to cover everything (though this gets somewhat invalidated by respeccing)

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)