Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2019 - RESULTS ARE OUT!

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by felipepepe, Apr 27, 2019.

1. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    My bad, I remembered wrong.
    I did not mean levels, but abilities. After about 30 hours of playing, I had long acquired all abilities there was to acquire for my character and was about halfway through the game.
    The prospect of not seeing any significant additions to my abilities any more (sure, levels and gear up the numbers, but that's about it) for the rest of the game made me quit. The game would be in dire need of new abilities to unlock throughout its campaign.

That I remember wrong and thought I had reached max level just shows how insignificant levelling up became then...

Which isn't nearly enough. I had all many of them placed in locations that you visit most often and was still treading the same grounds over and over and over.

^ Top  
  2. Jamma Novice

Jamma
    The vote count was low because the voting was never published on the front page and was over within a week.
    End of the year votes have a specific date so everyone knows about them and can participate, but this one was held at random dates without any warning. It's not really an issue though, the top 50 would have probably stayed the same.

• Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  3. ultra loser Educated

ultra loser
    >overglorified storyfag game with less dialogue than cuckstar's cowboy shooter in the first spot
    >all those old ass clunky blobbers nobody plays anymore
    >dark souls in top 221
    >FF8 not in top 10
    yikes

at least morrowind is behind Gothic 2

• Participation Award Participation Award x 2
    • thumbs down thumbs down x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    Compare it with the previous Top 70 voting numbers, not yearly votings.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Latro Arcane

Latro
    new top 10 with shit games removed:

1. fallout
    2. deus ex
    3. gothic 2
    4. AoD
    5. Jaggy Ally 2
    6. Underrail
    7. Gothic 1
    8. Grimoire
    9. System Shock 2
    10. Betrayal at Krondor

pretty good list imo

• nice nice x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Zer0wing Arbiter

Zer0wing
    felipepepe So you'll accommodate each game in the poll a new review/comment written by others, leave the old ones or won't do it at all?

^ Top  
  7. Void_Pickle Literate

Void_Pickle
    You can get around that problem by changing your class up through the game. I went mage->assassin?-> mage knight thing in my playthrough. Didn't matter enough though, and each time combat quickly became tedious.

I don't fundamentally have a problem with the traversal, but I don't recall exploration being very rewarding.. which definitely hurt it.

^ Top  
  8. majorsoccer Prospernaut Shitposter

majorsoccer
    Now hold up there a second ! its me who should be shitposting not you !

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. majorsoccer Prospernaut Shitposter

majorsoccer
    Remove AoD and Grimoire and i agree with you !

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Up Yours Up Yours x 1
    • No No x 1
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. fork Erudite

fork
    Fair enough. But there are 9 vocations you can max out, which is impossible to do in 30 hours, because you don't earn Discipline anywhere near fast enough. Trying out and maxing different vocations to earn augments (which carry over between vocations) is a huge part of the game. But even if you just try a few, the number of different play styles the game offers is pretty great, even without taking your pawn into account (I mostly play the game solo).

:prosper:

The map is pretty fucking small.
    So yeah, the quick travel implementation isn't the problem, the small map is.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    ^ Top  
  11. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    Thanks for the good work felipepepe !!

Forgot to vote lol.

Same as last time: the list as a whole is OK, but the respective positions... aren't. That top 10 is all sorts of fucked up for a community that's supposed to be crpg connoisseurs n shieeet.

Positions of certain games (for example Age of Decadence, Grimoire, Elex, Shadowrun) unfortunately show that many people do not take this voting thing very seriously or just lack exposure. Or both.

There is also very visible decline of console action games with rpg elements gaining more and more ground, but that's to be expected and I guess doesn't really surprise anyone.

Biggest surprise for me is FNV actually dropping (marginally, but still). I was quite certain that it will become no 1 crpg of all time according to codex around now or top3 at the very least.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Zer0wing Arbiter

Zer0wing
    As a side note - it is a shame that Ultima Underworld I & (especially!) II suffered such a huge downfall in the ratings. They're not that inaccessible, being early 1990s games and calling them dungeon crawlers in short of an insult, they're actual Action-RPGs, damn it!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    I spent enough hours on grimoire to judge it, everything is too easy , trivial, encounters were frozen and dispatched in a few rounds. I played it at release maybe he fixed it, but even if he did it was unacceptable to release in that state. You can find passionate post about elminage by aweigh on those very own forums,i dont see similar posts about grimoire , japs must be doing something right. Am i a dumbfuck ? Maybe i should be worried, you shown your expertise on dumbfuckery in the bitcoin thread, lot of it .

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. majorsoccer Prospernaut Shitposter

majorsoccer
    its not fixed,grimoire is unfinished full of bugs and mediocre content,don't bother with that game.

• Shit Shit x 3
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Mr. Magniloquent Learned

Mr. Magniloquent
    I abstained from voting because I have backlogs with relevant contenders. A great deal has happened in the last 5 years of the RPG genre which I simply haven't played. I felt like voting would have skewed and diluted the results.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 2
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Like some others said, I kind of like the idea of a top 100 just so Oblivion can be on there near the bottom and annoy some casuals who stumble upon it.

Anyway, solid list. At least half the top ten list would be on my personal top ten list, and you can't be mad about that.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    FNV? As in, Fallout New Vegas? Isn't it up one spot from #8 to #7?

^ Top  
  18. buffalo bill Savant

buffalo bill
    Damn, this list is crap compared to the previous one. TW3 at 15? Both Pillars games in the top 70? Darklands drops twenty seven places? Wow.

Is it possible to institute an exam that Codex members must pass before they can vote in these threads, so we don't get crappy modern RTwP Baldur's Gate clones or action games polluting our lists? Codex voter ID laws maybe?

Plato was right, democracy is a tyranny of degenerate appetites.

• butthurt x 4
    • Edgy x 3
    • Yes x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Mission accomplished for me. Max-voted five games, all five are in, with the lowest at Nr. 30.

The reason I max-voted Grimoire is because how intertwined it is with the RPG Codex itself. It would simply have been Wrong to exclude it IMO, hence the points.

We have a Problem, however:

What the hell is this crap?!!

You're lumping together games that have no purpose being lumped together.

I'm talking about the Fallout series. Split that tally into two groups: Interplay/Black Isle-era, and Bethesda-era.

While I can argue for further splits in just the games seen here, the gap is not as wide there as with the two Fallout-eras.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Zer0wing Arbiter

Zer0wing
    Didn't know czechs and russians are also Bethesda.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Its good there's still codexers with balls who speak their mind against the crowd .

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Edgy tryhard people who joined less than 3 years ago thinking they know the Codex.

:nocountryforshitposters:

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. moraes Cipher Patron

moraes
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    What would that accomplish? You would have a Fallout "Bethesda" series sitting above Wizardry with 90%+ of points belonging to a game developed by Obsidian. Not really informative.

• honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    Ah, you're right. That's much less of a surprise then.

^ Top  
  25. North Gibraltarian Dog Educated

North Gibraltarian Dog
    Anarcho-gypsy confederation of latino-moors
    There are 22 new games in top 72, but many good rpgs with an accepted relevance in rpg history fall more than these 22 places... Darklands and Ultima V fall 30 positions, Ultima Underworld II fall 39, Geneforge 34 or Wasteland 41. Other less revolutionary but decent games in previous codex list also fall more than 22 places: Divine Divinity 34, Albion 62, M&M III 85!

Also, most of those games not only fall in positions but in votes! In a poll with +55% votes/voters Darklands or TToEE obtained far less votes than in the previous poll. In the new top 20, only Fallout 2 received less votes (-27 or -7.5%) in 2019.

As Thal said blobberists vote to Grimoire or Wizardry I could explain a great part of M&M and Wizardrys decline. But what about Darklands, The Temple of Elemental Evil, Ultima V, Wasteland or Geneforge?

• Despair Despair x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Slurp this person's delicious asshole Slurp this person's delicious asshole x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)