Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2019 - RESULTS ARE OUT!

I was feeling autistic, so I tallied up the first 8 pages of results. These rankings are tentative, of course, and I probably miscounted a bit.
Sorry, but please delete this. Don't want people using the list to change their votes.

You're worried about people manipulating the votes because of the results so far?

What about the people trying to manipulate it from the start?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I was feeling autistic, so I tallied up the first 8 pages of results. These rankings are tentative, of course, and I probably miscounted a bit.
Sorry, but please delete this. Don't want people using the list to change their votes.
I actually can't delete it, given the age of my account. However all I did was parse information that was available to everyone.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Voting system sucks donkey balls, we've got the likes of Mass Effect and Dark Souls overshadowing gems

That's the whole point genius.

Felipe "Dark Souls" Pepe has some shit habits like always choosing a bizarre voting system so DS or his 30+ JPRG titles no one heard of could shine. He's a cuck and has no credibility whatsoever
rating_prestigious.png

Sharpedge

Prophet
There is a great quote by Terry Pratchett that says the intelligence of the creature known as the crowd is equal to the square root of the number of people in it. In an effort to raise the average intelligence of the voting pool I shall therefor abstain from voting.

Voting system sucks donkey balls, we've got the likes of Mass Effect and Dark Souls overshadowing gems

That's the whole point genius.

Felipe "Dark Souls" Pepe has some shit habits like always choosing a bizarre voting system so DS or his 30+ JPRG titles no one heard of could shine. He's a cuck and has no credibility whatsoever
rating_prestigious.png

You will never be as cool as Felipepepe

Trashos

Arcane
There is a great quote by Terry Pratchett that says the intelligence of the creature known as the crowd is equal to the square root of the number of people in it. In an effort to raise the average intelligence of the voting pool I shall therefor abstain from voting.

That doesn't make much sense, not literally, not as a joke, and not as a stylish exaggeration to make a point. To cut a long story short, the square root of a large number is still a large number. The quote is probably not correct.

Sharpedge

Prophet

That doesn't make much sense, not literally, not as a joke, and not as a stylish exaggeration to make a point. To cut a long story short, the square root of a large number is still a large number. The quote is probably not correct.
Yes I know, but either I am blind (which is a big possibility) or the edit post button disappeared so I was unable to correct what I meant to say and decided to live with my shame.

SniperHF

Arcane
WL2 is winning against WL1

WL2 certainly has some design....issues....but it's much more in line with general sensibilities (and age range of course) around here than WL1. Turnbased Tactical combat with cover and skills and dialog trees with C&C. WL1 is heavily abstracted with blob combat and not particularly deep at that. I did think WL1 does a nice job with keywords though. It's a pretty friendly game compared to a lot of others to go back and try if you weren't around then like I wasn't. It starts to suck around Vegas sewers though. InXile takes some deserved shit but I think Wl2 gets over criticized generally. Perhaps its best quality is how they turned a pretty barebones setting into something that works with hundreds of thousands of lines of dialog. It's pretty faithful and not a lot sequels made that long after are.

I considered giving Wl2 a point but I'd have had a few others ahead of it that also didn't make the cut.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Pathfinder Kingmaker seems heavily overrated, if I had to weigh up the "big 3" high budget RPGs that the Codex liked over the last few years, Divinity 1/2, Kingdom Come Deliverance, and Kingmaker, I'd rate Kingmaker a solid last.

It is really quite a lot worse to play than Baldur's Gate just because the loading screens and UI are not as good, and the writing is okay not memorable.

I do think Deliverance is an all time great in the action RPG stakes though, gameplay was much more enjoyable than Witcher 3.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It looks like with the current points system we will get a top 70 with the same 10-15 games.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
It's strange that the D:OS games are not receiving more points, despite the first one having been game of the year. Maybe I should update my list.

As long as Twitcher stays out of the Top 10, this will be a good list. Dark Soles shouldn't be there either.

Funposter

Arcane
It's strange that the D:OS games are not receiving more points, despite the first one having been game of the year. Maybe I should update my list.

I remember thinking D:OS 2 was amazing the first time I played it, blasting through it in a fortnight. Then, I tried to replay it several times, and never got past the first act. It seems to me that even ardent fans of the games will admit that they have glaring faults in terms of writing/plot/character development, and that the second took two steps forward and one step back in terms of combat mechanics (who thought that Phys/Magic armor was a good idea?).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
By ensuring only games you replayed count you'd reduce the number of fresh titles and remove pst

I think so too. I replayed Wizardry 7 and BG2 in the last few years, but not PST or Fallout.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom