Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2019 - RESULTS ARE OUT!

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Voting system sucks donkey balls, we've got the likes of Mass Effect and Dark Souls overshadowing gems

That's the whole point genius.

Felipe "Dark Souls" Pepe has some shit habits like always choosing a bizarre voting system so DS or his 30+ JPRG titles no one heard of could shine. He's a cuck and has no credibility whatsoever
rating_prestigious.png

The only jRPG's he voted for were Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma. Which I hate to break it to you, but those games are more know and played than any Western RPG with the exception of Witcher 3 and every Betheseda game since Oblivion.

By ensuring only games you replayed count you'd reduce the number of fresh titles and remove pst

I think so too. I replayed Wizardry 7 and BG2 in the last few years, but not PST or Fallout.

Nah people should vote for whatever they want as long as it is an RPG. I haven't played Star Trail since my first playtrough of it 4/5 years ago, and I still think it's one of the best cRPG's ever made.

Last edited:

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
The only jRPG's he voted for were Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma. Which I hate to break it to you are more know and played than any Western RPG with the exception of Witcher 3 and every Betheseda game since Oblvion.

I'd wager that D:OS 2 is close to overtaking DD in sales, if it hasn't already.

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
Seems like ROA: Blade of Destiny could get a well deserved spot on the top 70 (+ , whatever...) list.

Funposter

Arcane
The only jRPG's he voted for were Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma. Which I hate to break it to you are more know and played than any Western RPG with the exception of Witcher 3 and every Betheseda game since Oblvion.

I'd wager that D:OS 2 is close to overtaking DD in sales, if it hasn't already.
I wouldn't be so sure. DD had sold over 2.3million copies before the PC release, and it has sold at least another million since.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
By ensuring only games you replayed count you'd reduce the number of fresh titles and remove pst

I think so too. I replayed Wizardry 7 and BG2 in the last few years, but not PST or Fallout.

I replayed Fallout and PS:T, but not Wizardry 7 or BG2 in the last five years. Now what?

I'd prefer it if there was an age cutoff for games, meaning that those published in last X years are not eligible for vote yet. For one, this gives time to developers and community to patch the bugs, so that the game can be judged on game elements. If the game is good in its core, there will be interest over time and bugs will be patched. If not, bugs will remain. Remember kids, bugs can be fixed, but shitty design stays forever.
It also eliminates the fresh infatuation factor. Good games stand the test of time.

Having said that, I gave a few points to the game that I would definitely eliminate from contest this year, because it is new: Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Since the rules allow it, and I think that it is that good, I have no choice.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Of the ones that end up being selected as the best, I would very much appreciate a 2012-2016 like poll that lets everyone vote on EVERY game there.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Oh, my.

That surely speaks volumes about codexian consensus of what makes an RPG. As well as c-o-n-s-i-s-t-e-n-c-y.

Those picks are very much consistent, though. In each of those games you can have a build that limits what you can and cannot do in those games, whether it be through combat (all of them), dialogue (all of them, not sure about Dark Souls) and quests (all of them, not sure about Dark Souls). And Dark Souls is the one exception to dialogue and quests, because it is a combat centric game. Like Wizardry.

Of course, if your idea of an RPG is "IT HAS TO BE TURN-BASED" (not saying it is your idea, but many people do have that idea) of course that list is a clusterfuck: it mixes real time, real time with pause, and turn-based.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
WL2 certainly has some design....issues....but it's much more in line with general sensibilities (and age range of course) around here than WL1. Turnbased Tactical combat with cover and skills and dialog trees with C&C. WL1 is heavily abstracted with blob combat and not particularly deep at that. I did think WL1 does a nice job with keywords though. It's a pretty friendly game compared to a lot of others to go back and try if you weren't around then like I wasn't. It starts to suck around Vegas sewers though. InXile takes some deserved shit but I think Wl2 gets over criticized generally. Perhaps its best quality is how they turned a pretty barebones setting into something that works with hundreds of thousands of lines of dialog. It's pretty faithful and not a lot sequels made that long after are.

I considered giving Wl2 a point but I'd have had a few others ahead of it that also didn't make the cut.

:bro:

I replayed WL2 recently and there is 4 obvious flaws

• [*]First half of the game is far weaker than the second
    [*]
    [*]Weird and annoying camera views/angles in some areas (AG Center ...)
    [*]
    [*]No factions is appealing, even our ranger faction is pretty weak storywise, mostly a quest center which have you malking through the desert over and over and while there is a radio, we can't use to get/complete quests, the other factions are mostly retarded, church suicide bombers, church slavers, thugs, killer robots, mannerites ...
    [*]
    [*]The nuke quest is the most retarded thing in the game, you're supposed to report to the ranger's general but when it comes to give access to a nuke to one faction, you don't even mention it and take the decision yourself ...

Still, the game is solid, combat wise, the tactical system is very good but i didn't play Wasteland 1 to compare.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Wasteland 2 was pretty fun. I made the mistake of putting the game on hold for a few weeks so I lost track of what I was supposed to be doing, but other than that and the huge amount of battles, it was very enjoyable.

Zibniyat

Arcane
I am pretty sure there is a some antitrolling system in place that automatically renders are votes containg Oblivion Planescape Torment invalid. Let's hope it also tracks IP and launches nukes.

Fixed that for you. It will be amusing to see if the votes won't be tampered with, though I personally wouldn't mind seeing Planescape Torment's votes wiped from the face of the Earth.

SniperHF

Arcane
It's strange that the D:OS games are not receiving more points, despite the first one having been game of the year. Maybe I should update my list.

My guess is D:OS generally has a lot of people who think it's somewhere between pretty decent and pretty good (which is enough in many years for a GOTY) but not a lot of ardent boosters like AoD/Underrail/ATOM/ELEX etc. So it's more likely to be left off a list.

I mean I'm one of the 5 people who made mods for 1 and I didn't even give it all that many points and none to the sequel.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Wasteland 2 was pretty fun. I made the mistake of putting the game on hold for a few weeks so I lost track of what I was supposed to be doing, but other than that and the huge amount of battles, it was very enjoyable.

Wasteland 2 is the best game that inXile produced. Since then it's been one fuckup after another, except the Bard's Tale 1-3 remake.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
It deserves a top 10 spot. You just can't get over the fact that it has excellent combat in addition to everything else that makes it a stellar RPG.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Yet another person who can't look past the shiny objects to see the robust RPG systems underneath. Good thing you're in the minority.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom