Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best cRPGs - DISCUSS THREAD / NOW ACCEPTING REVIEWS

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
:bravo:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
felipepepe Just so You have some choice for the reviews.

Planescape: Torment
Probably the best story in any video game ever, Planescape: Torment is much more than just that. Allowing the player to explore one of the most unique worlds in the history of CRPGs and interact with some of the most interesting characters ever created, PST is also a very solid game underneath it all. Everything you do in this game matters: how you create your character and develop it, how you talk to people and what you say to them, what you do and what you decide not to do. Torment will destroy your assumptions about what to expect in a fantasy CRPG, as it comes with zero elves, zero dwarves and only two swords in the whole game, and it will also leave you wanting more from every RPG you play afterwards. Obviously it is not perfect (nothing is), with combat system especially in need of some improvements, but so far it is as close as they get.
If you're missing a review for any of the games I've finished (listed them in the results thread), let me know.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I thanks the effort, but I'm not sure I'll be able to do it at all... my request for reviews has been utterly ignored in the results thread... so far we only have 18 reviews for 15 games.

I think I'll wait some days for the circlejerking to slow down and will ask again for reviews.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Which of these are you missing?

1 Planescape: Torment
2 Fallout 1
3 Fallout 2
4 Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
17 Baldur's Gate
19 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II – The Sith Lords
22 Icewind Dale
24 The Witcher
26 Gothic
40 Icewind Dale II
40 The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
45 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You can write for any of those, I want at least 2 reviews per game, and so far PS:T and Arcanum are the only ones with 2 entries.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

To me, I've always felt Might and Magic III is to Fallout 1 as World of Xeen is to Fallout 2. A lot of people prefer those sequels for fixing interface issues in the previous game and vastly expanding the amount of content available, but I prefer the predecessors for being tighter and more focused experiences. Most cRPGs feel bloated and overlong to me, but Might and Magic III does not. It's a short and light-hearted romp in the old Might and Magic universe, featuring an abundance of clever puzzles, quick and easy combat, decent dungeon design, and of course those colorful and cartoonish VGA graphics. It's a game with a lot to offer and ultimately one of the better entries in the Might and Magic series. It's also one of the more accessible cRPGs of the early 90's and one I recommend to anyone looking to get into pre-Fallout cRPGs.

The Temple of Elemental Evil

ToEE shows us what cRPG combat can be. It's faithful implementation of D&D 3.5e is undoubtedly it's greatest strength but it really has a lot more to offer. There are skill checks everywhere, the visuals are wonderful and the C&C inside the Temple is criminally underrated. No worries if you can't stomach the terminally boring Hommlet, just make a beeline for the moathouse. You can come back later and put the denizens out of there misery like the evil bastard you are. Gather your supplies, don your cape and put on your jaunty hat; Troika's dungeon crawler awaits.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ultima IV

Ultima IV taught me that RPGs didn't have to only be about killing orcs and taking their loot, as there was no big bad evil guy threatening the kingdom. This game might be graphically quaint by today's standards, but it still featured a large world to explore with cities, towns, and dungeons that had characteristics unique to themselves. It had a morality system based upon a religious philosophy that was created from scratch by the game's writer, Richard Garriott. The game was designed completely around this morality system, from character creation, to choices you made in combat, from conversations you had with in-game personalities, and in regards to whether or not to steal important items when no one was around. Other games of this era had me feel as if I was an adventurer saving a land for wealth, admiration or survival. Ultima IV was the first game that made me feel as if I was playing the heroic icon of an entire populace.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
ADOM
Ok, so I admit that I never beat the 1990s versions of ADOM and I still love the game. The thing about rogue-likes is that they are hard and demand your complete attention. Get bored and start hitting the direction keys too fast and you might find yourself hitting a trap you should have avoided, or walking into a seemingly easy fight that the dice gods decided will really not go your way. Also, you need to constantly monitor your supplies, since if you weren't paying attention to food or light sources, you might suddenly find yourself deep in the dungeon with little hope of surviving the journey back to the surface. And if you die, the perma-death means that your character is done without a chance of reloading. Yet each time I die, I curse, walk away from the computer for a few minutes, only to return and make a new character. But ADOM can be beat, and if you take notes you'll learn more and more about the world, which might just help your next character survive a few turns more than the last. The game doesn't feature much in the way of graphics or sound, but it makes up for that in the gameplay and sense of discovery. Some CRPG players might hate the note-taking and focus this game demands, and that's fine. But for some of us, it isn't the victory that matters so much, but the fun and challenge of the experience.

Last edited:

Ravel myluv

Learned
Deus Ex

Deus Ex might feel bad in its gameplay, but it is a classic case of the player willingly ignoring the game's shortcomings for the whole forms a greater thing than the addition of its individual parts. Deus Ex offers many different paths and options to the player, setting a standard for the FPS/RPG. The game's pace is handled wonderfully, alterning action, infiltration, social interactions... Every level feels unique, and the game offers some nice twists on players' expectations. The scenario is clever, while not taking itself too seriously (and helped in that by tongue-in-cheek voice acting). There's a sense of believibality in the people you meet and the places you explore, and credit to the developers for not going the "epic" route of making everything grandiose and disproportionnate. Overall, not only is Deus Ex a historically important RPG, but it is still trumendously enjoyable today for very few are the games that match its level design and writting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom