Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2019 - REVIEW THREAD!

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Most of the users here are Polacks, Russians or other assorted eurotrash, me included. Don't sweat it.

Mark Richard

Arcane
ATOM RPG: Post-apocalyptic indie game

Unabashedly wearing its influences on its sleeve, ATOM may not have the philosophical pedigree of its idol, but it does have the dual advantage of evoking nostalgia while still managing to present itself as something fresh. Bopping around post-apocalyptic Russia makes all the difference in rekindling the sense of discovery that accompanied the earliest Fallout games, and the distinct Eastern European outlook also manifests in an unsanitized writing style to open up roleplaying opportunities many of today's leading Western RPG studios would balk at. This confidence is what allows the game to touch that late 90s glow without being wholly consumed by it, ensuring ATOM won't go down in our memories as merely a decent homage to a better game.

The Real Fanboy
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is the totally awesome sequel to 2015's 90s inspired rpg Pillars of Eternity I! Made by the famous xbox games studio Obsidian, with development led by the totally cute Josh Sawyer, become The Herald of Berath and chase the god of light for your shining soul across the wonderous and beautiful Deadfire Archipelago!!! Has totally iconic companions that you will be living for (and maybe even fall in love with!), a familiar but different fantasy setting that has only grown more amazing since the 1st game, totally fierce polynesian-inspired lewks, and complex rival factions all hoping The Watcher of Caed Nua will help them control the region. The Gods of Eora will also facetime you sometimes! The game is a lot like Fallout: New Vegas and is one of the best rpgs ever, there's really waay too much cool stuff to write about. You can play it rtwp (which is really cute even tho I ignored learning how penetration worked with the systems lol) but they also have a new turn-based mode that I haven't played yet because I'm waiting for the Switch version! Oh, it's also totally fully voice acted by the cast of Critical Role and is better than the 1st game! :heart emoji:

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Do we want a review of Oblivion that focuses on its positives, or a total tear down of it? I could probably write a half-decent positive leaning one while also being realistic, if that's what we're looking for.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Wasteland 2

As a ranger, you're the sherif of the wasteland.

The combat is a smart mix of covers, flanking, back attacks and attacks from above.
Full party creation but you can also recruit NPC on the way, DC adds some fun quirks, weapons are modifiable and maps are very well designed, very good path-finding too.
It's also rewarding to sneak around an enemy camp to get into position before a tough fight.

Not everything is perfect, of course, or this game would hit the top 10, the non-combat skill system is hardly enjoyable (timer and debuff on critical failure), there's some weird camera views on some maps, there's a lot of factions but their philosophy and goals go from weird to psychotic, your faction offers you no support besides a quest hub and a shop and the first half of the game is less entertaining than the second, by far.

The result is a flawed gem but if you're searching for a cRPG with a good combat system and a decent story, you just found one.

--

There's 6 more i could write if necessary (mixed feelings but leaning toward positive):
- Lords of Xulima
- Might & Magic X
- ToME
- Expedition Viking
- DOS 1
- Tyranny

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
My goal here was making this sound surface-level positive while also actually being a big fuck you:

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is the ultimate baby's first action RPG. The world is a collection of high fantasy tropes and brightly colored Disneyland design, the combat is simple and action-packed and the quest design is straight to the point and guided every step of the way by the big red quest arrow. While a sharp decline from The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind for experienced RPG gamers, Oblivion was undoubtedly a fishnet that scooped up a new batch of fans for the genre from pools of console players, casual gamers and people used to other genres. The level-scaling, while removing a lot of what RPG gamers look for in a deeper game, allows those new to the genre to set off in any direction without fear of roadblocks, easing their transition into better games to come. Oblivion succeeds in the same way a Saturday morning cartoon does, initiating the young and naive to concepts that will be expanded upon in more adult and challenging fare later in life. Even many experienced RPG gamers enjoyed Oblivion in a "shut your brain off" way, exploring the big bright world at a leisurely place while zoning out, letting their baser instincts take the wheel while they mash the left mouse button and walk in random directions. Oblivion truly had something for everyone.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I found this lurking on Wasteland 2 threads :

Wasteland 2 is, especially with the directors cut, a really fun mix between Fallout 1 and a regular combat oriented turn based game. Its a bit more linear and structured as fallout, but then again its also a much longer game, and you could even say that different parts of the game offer a similar nonlinear approach as the original Fallout did. Also there is less replay value despite offering the same kind of differing questsolutions because as you lead a whole squad, you can pretty much specialize in all important skill in one playthrough, whereas in fallout you cant play the jack of all trades and expect to succeed at everything. The writing is comparable to Fallout 2, over the top trash movie charme like mad max with lots of (dark) humour which is kinda a hit and miss. Still its much better than i expected when i started the game up because of all that ranting of fellow codexians. I also really like the fact that you can mess up in this game by simply saying the wrong things at the wrong time or siding blindly with the next best faction you come across.
Seriously, play that game. Its imho one of the best in recent years.

Humanophage

Arcane
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
PF:KM expands on the formula of Baldur’s Gate 1 by introducing much richer character-building from the P&P original.

It preserves freedom of exploration, a hallmark of BG1 that its spiritual sequels lacked. Loyalty to the original P&P system makes PF:KM less simplistic and “streamlined” than has come to be expected from the genre in the recent years. It does not pander to the low-skilled: the combat is famously uncompromising, character-building invites planning, spells and buffing are not to be ignored, whilst equipment needs constant updating. The game does not artificially isolate you from opponents above your level. This lack of hand-holding makes PF:KM uncommonly exciting and rewarding.

PF:KM has an expansive campaign with plenty of choice reactivity, including branching decisions which may affect companions. Unusually, the campaign dedicates a hefty portion to low-to-mid level adventures - a welcome change from the regular heaping of gods and dragons onto the player. The setting is well-explained - say, there are flavourful descriptions for monsters. Initially bug-ridden, the game has been fixed by now. PF:KM is detailed, dynamic, diverse, enormous, tough, bold, and brimming with late 90s ethos while looking perfectly modern.

It probably helps to have fresh impressions when determining what exactly makes you like a game. I would of course happily write something about Underrail, Space Rangers, LoX, or a bunch of others, but I haven't played them very recently.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Nier Automata

Let's be honest, the vast majority of you will know Automata thanks to the generous...assets of 2B, the protagonist. Surprisingly enough, there's more to this than gratuitous fanservice.

Back in 2010 a lesser-known Japanese developer named Cavia managed to throw out Nier, a somewhat clunky yet weirdly fascinating action RPG that suceeded in gaining a cult following (despite being financially unsuccessful) thanks to varied gameplay, charming plot and likeable characters. More than half a decade later some Cavia employees (amongst them the infamous Yoko Taro) managed to get money from Square and expertise from Platinum Games to develop an unlikely sequel.

Set into a post-apocalyptic far future Robot War where not everything is exactly as it seems, Automata is solid a third-person action RPG, its combat mechanics good enough to keep you interested. However, Automata is more of a storyfag game, as the focus is clearly on the narrative and character interaction. It's also essentially anime, so expect melodrama and cheap cultural references thrown into the mix just for the "cool" factor.

Nonetheless, Automata manages to give me an impression few games do: to be a work of love. It's in the little details, in the writing and the impressive soundtrack, the cute animations or the variety of joke endings. It's a game that wants to give something to its audience. Torment it ain't, but it has a soul that few games have.

Good enough? I'm not a Jap games guy, but I liked Automata a fair bit.

I've replayed both Diablo and Diablo II in recent times, but I don't feel I'm the most experienced man in the genre. If no one takes Diablo 1, I'll throw some lines for it.

SniperHF

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin

A prequel to the earlier Divinity games, Divinity: Original Sin brings an entirely new gameplay model to the series and it's a treat. Turn-based combat, the return of a party, and multiplayer rule the day. The level of freedom while exploring is in some ways unparalleled. Players can combine items into that one great tool you need via an Ultima-inspired crafting system, tactically use those environmental effects in conjunction with your skills, or sneak around to find the unbeaten path. D:OS is an RPG where you can kill everyone on the map or strictly follow the story and everywhere in between in order to complete the game. The game's narrative suffers as a result though, the story is convoluted and ultimately devolves into a save the universe pitch. But what D:OS lacks in storytelling it makes up for in familiar Larian charm and humor. With a substantially more interesting combat system and new emergent gameplay features, D:OS takes Larian's RPG series to new heights.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Expedition: Vikings
This is quite a traditional RPG that went under the radar and got a lot less attention than it deserved. Logic Artists clearly took a lot of influence from Fallout 1 and 2 -- time limits, map-view travel and everything.
The Danes really did an ace job with the historical setting, quests, music, visuals and pacing, which always felt even and high quality. They also added a non-lethal toggle to combat, which was probably one of the best ideas in the game, due to how they often acknowledged that you didn't kill certain characters in dialogue and quest outcomes even if you had the option to do so. Overall I think the game is really well rounded, not lacking in very many aspects other than a undercooked travel/camping system and a somewhat scuffed levelling and skill point system. Darth Roxor wrote a better and more long-winded review in our forums.

purpleblob

Savant
Expedition: Vikings
They also added a non-lethal toggle to combat, which was probably one of the best ideas in the game, due to how they often acknowledged that you didn't kill certain characters in dialogue and quest outcomes even if you had the option to do so. Overall I think the game is really well rounded.

I really enjoyed the game but disagree on above points. Hardly remember quests where non-lethality actually made a difference. And the number of quests were so uneven between Northumbria & Pictavia. Plus, combat encounter gets easier as the game progress (at least the earlier version I played).

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
I spared every important NPC in two playthroughs, and I can't remember any instances where it wasn't acknowledged.

Northumbria and Pictavia both have 9 quests, although I did find Northumbria's questline more enjoyable overall.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I found this lurking on Wasteland 2 threads :

Wasteland 2 is, especially with the directors cut, a really fun mix between Fallout 1 and a regular combat oriented turn based game. Its a bit more linear and structured as fallout, but then again its also a much longer game, and you could even say that different parts of the game offer a similar nonlinear approach as the original Fallout did. Also there is less replay value despite offering the same kind of differing questsolutions because as you lead a whole squad, you can pretty much specialize in all important skill in one playthrough, whereas in fallout you cant play the jack of all trades and expect to succeed at everything. The writing is comparable to Fallout 2, over the top trash movie charme like mad max with lots of (dark) humour which is kinda a hit and miss. Still its much better than i expected when i started the game up because of all that ranting of fellow codexians. I also really like the fact that you can mess up in this game by simply saying the wrong things at the wrong time or siding blindly with the next best faction you come across.
Seriously, play that game. Its imho one of the best in recent years.

I remember that i shot this review from the hip not caring much about phrasing. I could go over it with a quick edit if felipepepe thinks it is worthy of an entry.

Gregz

Arcane
Pathfinder: Kingmaker

A profound wasted opportunity inspired by the Russian philosophy of go fuck yourself. Or as one Steam reviewer so aptly put it, Kingmaker is "Bad GMing, The Video Game." Kingmaker features claustrophobic quest timers with fatal end states, potentially game ending choices and consequences which you have to make blindly, feminist themes, race-mixing cuckold fetishes, and more! While Kingmaker starts strong, your only reward for playing is pain and suffering, which gets increasingly worse with each advancing chapter. This game hates you. It hates your party. It hates fun. It probably hates itself. Try as you may to build your party and enjoy a classical D&D experience, the metagame, whether in the form of fatal quest timers breathing down your neck, terribly implemented kingdom management mechanics, or fatal bugs in required quest chains will make you wish for the painful death of Owlcat's sadistic and incompetent developers. Kingmaker is not difficult in any traditional sense. Either you telepathically glean what the developers were thinking when they cobbled this mess together, or you lose the game.

The main reason I do not recommend this game is the incredibly poor DM-skills of the developers. I am not sure if the campaign this game is based on is as poor as this game, but to sum it up, probably every mistake a DM can make is in this game.

Any real live DM who would guide his friends through a campaign like this would be rightfully beaten to death.

Outside of the metagame issues, how is the combat system you ask? More metagame abuse!

Your characters are playing Pathfinder, they have all the relevant classes, stats, feats and rules from the game, but the GM is not playing the same game as you. You're constantly wondering about every opponent in the game trying to work out what crap the designer/GM has pulled with this one, and it very quickly becomes a chore rather than a game.

I really regret that I bought this and have put as much time into it as I have. This coming from someone who lists Jagged Alliance 2, Baldur's Gate 1&2, Icewind Dale 1&2, Fallout 1&2 as my favourite games of all time.

This could be a great game, but messing with the established material in a way that looks amateurish and with no sense of balance has ruined it.

The ambition and scope of Kingmaker is astonishing, the design and execution is a critical
1.png

Last edited:

purpleblob

Savant
I spared every important NPC in two playthroughs, and I can't remember any instances where it wasn't acknowledged.

Northumbria and Pictavia both have 9 quests, although I did find Northumbria's questline more enjoyable overall.

The number of quests are so uneven by the time I was done pillaging through their villages and churches, I found that I still had a positive/tolerated reputation with Northumbria.

purpleblob

Savant
It sure did feel like there's more quest on Northumbria side - maybe more sub quests?

Either way, you end up with much higher reputation with Northumbria:

Picts Reputation gains and losses

Reputation can be won with this faction the following ways:

Here's To The Future improves reputation by 20 points.
Completing Mac Taidg Must Die increases reputation by 10 points.
Completing The Princess Bride increases reputation by 10 points.
Killing Leofric during Punching Through increases reputation with 5 points.
Upon meeting with Drest mac Gordain the first time with neutral reputation, he is unwilling to sell items or take commissions from the player character, but with 3 diplomacy, he can be convinced to do business one time and increase reputation by 5 points with the Picts.
Completing the Witch's Curse improves reputation by 5 points.

Northumbria Reputation gains and losses

You can gain reputation with this faction the following ways:

Completing the quest The Battle of Yngilwood improves reputation by 50.
Here's To The Future improves reputation by 20 points.
Completing all bounties improves reputation by 10 points.
Completing the quest An Axe to Grind improves reputation by 5 points.
Completing Wreck And Ruin improves reputation by 5 or 10 points.
Completing The Barghest Cometh improves reputation by 5 points.
Completing Forbidden Tribute improves reputation by 5 points.
Completing The Hunting Party improves reputation by 5 points.
Completing Snakes Among the Trees improves reputation by 5 points.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
Since I have WAY too much free time, I'll write a couple more. If enough better reviews end up being written, feel free do disregard my crap.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Trails in the Sky is the first in the Falcom's Trails series (which currently consists of nine games). It follows Estelle and Joshua Bright on their quest to become bracers (basically trouble solvers for hire), seeking approval of various guilds throughout the country of Liberl. This works great to slowly introduce the player to the world, which has recently underwent a magic-based industrial revolution, while also setting up various plot threads to be explored later. The game is a slow burn, focusing mostly on low-key stories and character interactions while building up towards the main conflict. Fortunately, the characters are extremely likeable, and the game simply oozes charm. Unlike most typical jRPGs, the combat is grid-based and resembles a simplified version of Final Fantasy Tactics.

Second chapter continues immediately where the first left off, while Trails in the Sky 3rd stars one of the supporting characters and focuses more heavily on dungeon crawling. All three games are well worth playing, and easy to recommend to anyone who isn't turned off by anime graphics or linear storytelling.

Also, the music is really really good.

The Witcher 3
This game is far from perfect. Equipment progression is terrible, combat is serviceable at best (though some of the death and dismemberment animations are pretty fun to watch), alchemy has tragically been dumbed down since the first game, it has that annoying "enemies who are higher level than the player have artificially inflated stats" thing going on, and even the story kinda drops the ball near the end.

What the game does well, however, it does really well. Most of the time, it feels like a quality fantasy TV show - there is the overarching search for Ciri going on in the background, but the focus is on whatever is going on right now. The writing, voice acting and presentation are good enough to give context to the mostly repetitive gameplay and make it an enjoyable experience. There is a lot of care put in every single quest - even the seemingly generic monster hunts will have some memorable moments or a twist. And if you ever get bored and are in the mood for some actually good gameplay, The Witcher 3 has you covered with the addictive Gwent minigame.

The game has received two major expansion packs since release. Hearts of Stone has some of the greatest storytelling and quests in the franchise, while Blood and Wine gives Geralt of Rivia a much more satisfying conclusion than the base game's somewhat mediocre ending.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Tyranny

Close to being the true Planescape Torment's sequel, Tyranny setup is a breath of fresh air.
The main character is empowered by a powerful entity and yet has to cope with the mighty Archons, the introduction is original, NPC and companions a real piece of art and the story enthralling.

What's not to like ?
The combat system, RTwP, like Planescape with a "new" mechanism, team skills isn't that bad, compared to recent similar games, but the enemies lack in variety, particularly in the old wall area where you're going to be sick of fighting.
The outsourced companion's quest are also underwhelming and Obsidian treated loading screens like a piece of art, letting us enjoy it as long as we can endure it and beyond.

Overall, if you're in for the story with a 1 month old gaming computer, you'll probably enjoy it, if you love the RTwP system, probably as well, otherwise it's going to be a mitigated experience.
Still, it's probably one of the most legitimate entry, amongst the recent AAA cRPG.

--

Doktor Best Just do it!

Last edited:
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I'm not a native English speaker so I hope the grammar of this review is acceptable. Feel free to remove or edit weird sentences if you spot some, Felipe.

Diablo II

With its innovative gameplay and incredibly solid atmosphere, the first Diablo is an unparalleled masterpiece – and yet, it is dwarfed by the scale and mastery of Diablo II. It expands on all of Diablo's mechanics, doubling the number of character classes and succeeding in making all of them equally interesting and very different from each other: while the assassin is using martial arts training to kick demons in the face, the necromancer hides behind its own skeleton army, raised from the corpses of his enemies. Combined with a clever procedural level generation, random and satisfying loot, multiplayer co-op and an enormous world divided into five acts, those classes give Diablo II an incredible replay value where each game feels like a distinct adventure on its own.
Another truly remarkable feat, and perhaps the best part of Diablo II – best enjoyed with its near-perfect expansion Lord of Destruction – is how it is able to build a vast, cohesive, convincing universe using only few words. Town dwellers aren't the talkative type, the hero almost never speaks, and yet through items and enemies names (as well as superb level design) Diablo II's dark and tortured world feels more alive than many others. A feeling its sequel would fail to replicate.

If this review is OK, then maybe I will write more if some games don't get much love.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nice. I wanted to write one about trails in the sky, but i suddenly got sick, got my blood tested and turned put i have dengue fever.

Been hospitalized the last 2 days

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Underrail

If there's ever any doubt about if crowdfunded "retro-revival" games can be any good, let Underrail lay it to rest. Granted, it is heavily influenced by Fallout, but it also has its share of fresh ideas that elevate it above your average wannabe. For example, its world is designed like a maze of interconnected areas and hallways, rather than an open map. There's also the Oddity system which awards you XP for discovering hidden items, the Thought Control skill which gives you a variety of telepathy-based abilities, and a whole bunch of little twists that keep the quests interesting.

Though, what truly puts Underrail above the rest is the execution. The world is not only densely packed with content, but it's content you'll be looking forward to. That especially goes for the combat; it's just the right amount of skill as opposed to luck, and I always felt like hot shit after beating a tough group of enemies. Underrail is, simply put, one of the most enjoyable CRPGs since Baldur's Gate 2.

Last edited:

jdinatale

Cipher
How come NWN2 isn't split into its expansions for the purpose of the rankings like it was in the previous Top 70?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom