Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Maker Contest - Xi and Crooked Bee win!

GOTY a.k.a. RPG MAKER contest

• Total voters
Unwanted

Xu Fugui

Unwanted
Xu Fugui , yours have some really nice lines, but I feel like you got lost between making a parody and a proper game... also, too much text!
Yeah, I know. I wanted to make a game that played like a Codex LP with devs commentating on everything. Problem is that I took the worldbuilding and lore too seriously and the devs are complete caricatures. I wanted their respective areas reflect their style too, that hardly made it in.

I was aware of the danger of a tonal clash since the beginning, problem is that everything is so disjointed because most text have only been written once and then left alone. What it badly needed was another pass to make everything a cohesive whole, but I barely just had the time to make the storyline work. Let's not speak of the combat and everything after you've joined a faction. That was quite literally a last minute thing. Funny thing is my game became like the sum of all the devs worst parts.

Unfinished and untapped CnC potential, shit combat like obsidian? Check. Only a fraction of the lore made it into the actual game like Bethesda? Check. High concept and impossible to reach goals like Molyneux? Check. Railroaded interactions and juvenile writing like Bioware? Check. Meaningless combat, loads of cut content, game idea change in the middle of the project like Irrational Games? Check.

In its current state it's basically an unfinished hodgepodge of half implemented ideas that I to be completely honest never knew where exactly I was going with. The torment tier text dumps are just there to cover up the massive holes that a truck could drive trough before I patched them up.

My Ski Free X-TREME does away with all that.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Xu Fugui , yours have some really nice lines, but I feel like you got lost between making a parody and a proper game... also, too much text!

I think the blend of proper game and dev commentary is excellent. I lost it when kirkbride put on his hood. :lol:

Every entry I've played so far (felipepe, zed, both of Xu Fugui's, bee, xi) has been great. :salute:

Still wanna play more of xi's and got broseph and niektory's to go. It's gonna be a hard choice in the end.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Gonna play everyone's game tonight. Voted for myself because :M

It looks like Crooked Bee is gonna decimate the competition.

Edit: Play Zed's, very funny stuff, but Prosper destroyed my party.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Xu Fugui

Unwanted
I think the blend of proper game and dev commentary is excellent. I lost it when kirkbride put on his hood. :lol:
Someone found my game funny? Oh gosh.

felipepepe, I think I have seen everything of your game now.
I became a dragon and was killed by the cat, imprisoned as a terrorist, got shot for the self ironic arrow in the knee remark. Did I miss anything?
Otherwise:
hKcZqdq.png

But seriously. The arrow in the knee joke was the worst, everything else was pretty cool for what it was. You should have done more because it was quite nice while it lasted.

Lemming42

Arcane
Here we go:
felipepepe - The Blade of Muramasa
I got
classed as a terrorist and taken away to jail/hell for making a comment about a broken wall.
Definitely GOTY material.

Xu Fugui - Ski Free X-Treme
Probably the best game of all time. Not just the best in this contest, not just the best RPGMaker game, but the actual best of all time.

Crooked Bee - The GSS Superdemo
I like the puzzle based gameplay and all the descriptions for all the stuff you can examine are awesome. The Sir-Tech archive door maze broke my mind in the best possible way. The
Brenda marriage portrait puzzle
made me laugh harder than it should have. :lol:

Xu Fugui - Game Dev Soup
Text heavy, but I was happy to read all of it since it was funny. The parodies of each dev were good and the Codex troll commenting on everything was a p good idea.

Broseph - Escape from Liberal Hell
The enemies are crazy strong. I got my ass handed to me in the hedge maze by Atheist Fanatics and Otherkin Sodomites. Irenaeus is best RPG protagonist of all time.

Xi - Dark Path
Really impressively made, one of the best RPGMaker games I've seen.

Zed - The Codex Chronicles: Too Much Incline
I cut the rope and killed HHR. :(
Another funny entry, but I came pretty close to ragequitting when the Prosparoos killed me.

Niektory - Out Of Element
I like the aura of light that surrounds the player, makes the dungeon harder to explore (which is a good thing). The enemies are way overpowered but they're easily avoidable. Good game.

Mastermind - Days of Spring
The different specializations and skills of all the different party members was really cool and the fights were good without being too difficult or too easy.

I can seriously say all of them were good. Not voting yet, gonna think about it first.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Zed

Is your final boss unbeatable by design? If so the ending works fine.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You should have done more because it was quite nice while it lasted.
You see, I'm too lazy. :lol:

But seriously, that was the level of effort I could afford this week. There were more stuff I wanted to do, but it would require creating new areas, searching for tutorials and all that...

Also, while the cat hunts you, you can avoid it and talk to everyone else as a dragon, and they'll have different dialog... or at least a bit different.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Zed

Is your final boss unbeatable by design? If so the ending works fine.
yes, and ok, great to hear.
I ran out of time after the room before that so I made the very last bit in 10 minutes or so and didn't have time to properly playtest.

Unwanted

Xu Fugui

Unwanted
But seriously, that was the level of effort I could afford this week. There were more stuff I wanted to do, but it would require creating new areas, searching for tutorials and all that...

Also, while the cat hunts you, you can avoid it and talk to everyone else as a dragon, and they'll have different dialog... or at least a bit different.
I've hidden or half hidden so much shit in my game that I keep using everything I see and try everything on everything so I found it out very quickly, can you get
eKQB4mX.png

to show up in the game? I expected to see it together with an ending when using the bridge as a dragon, but that wasn't the case.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Only Niektory's game left to play. Then I'll go back over some of them if I feel I haven't seen enough.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I've hidden or half hidden so much shit in my game that I keep using everything I see and try everything on everything so I found it out very quickly, can you get
eKQB4mX.png
to show up in the game? I expected to see it together with an ending when using the bridge as a dragon, but that wasn't the case.
Oh, datamining my project, eh? I had that as a ending slide, but it was so cool to have that sprite that I decided to let you roam around and talk to people instead.

Xi

Arcane
I've played all of them, but I need more time with each. I want to thoroughly beat them and check out the options. What's the deadline on voting? (We should pick a day)

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Niektory's game is brilliant. Easily the most original gameplay out of all the entries (and probably the hardest entry on the list). Complaints that the combat sucks miss the point since as far as I can tell it's more of a puzzle game than anything else and you're supposed to avoid combat. Did you script the elemental auras and their function yourself?

Niektory

one of some
Patron
Niektory's game is brilliant. Easily the most original gameplay out of all the entries (and probably the hardest entry on the list). Complaints that the combat sucks miss the point since as far as I can tell it's more of a puzzle game than anything else and you're supposed to avoid combat. Did you script the elemental auras and their function yourself?
Glad you liked it! Yes, it was intended to be a stealth-puzzle-crawler-thingy.
I downloaded this script to make swapping tiles possible: http://www.himeworks.com/2013/02/17/tile-swap/
Then made an event that checks the types of tiles next to the player, and uses the script's pos_swap command if all the conditions are met.
The step-based exploration and buffs I made myself.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, mechanic-wise, Neiktory's game is amazing. The fact that exploration, progress and combat all depend on careful use of MP is a great design approach, vastly superior to most RPGs out there. :salute:

I would vote for it, but Bee's game made me laugh to much...

Johannes

Arcane
- You should try using Neanderthal Sense inside the "door dungeon" (as I call it). This should lead you to a secret ending.

- It's a pretty tricky Codex lore check, basically. Might be the most obscure "branch" in the entire game. There are also three hints: one of the messages in the nearby area, the key terminal itself, and the message it says. Though the solution isn't quite straightforward.
I'll PM you the answer to this; don't want to post it here yet.
You mean the lava pit, or something else? That's the first ending I got. Now just finished a run to face Robert. Gonna check commie next

Xi

Arcane
Was a lot of fun! I can say I enjoyed them all in their own special way. (I did start feeling burned out toward the end though, that was a monster gaming session ;P )

Felipepepe: (Blade of Muramasa)
I liked it. One thing I found fascinating was your display of an effect animation on screen(non-combat) when the cat kills you as a dragon. I've not figured out how to do that, but it is something I want to consider to sex up some of the stuff I'm doing. Also, I liked the simplicity of it even if it was short. Definitely a fun little diversion. Was smiling the whole time.

Xu Fugui: (Game Dev Soup)
To describe it in a single word, hilarious! Very story driven, and I thought the exposition was pretty good. The back and forth, bickering, and general interaction between the developers was awesome. You definitely develop the persona of your characters well, even if they are well known people (gonna take some notes for my own game, really liked it). I also liked your take on Moloyneux - "I had a brilliant idea, not even kickstarter or publisher's thought it would work" -> pacifist combat system (use Calm! - hits for 50 damage, lol). Haha, it was like reliving one of his epic over promises where the game doesn't actually do what he said. ;P That maze was also a mind fuck, using the map looping function could make for a SERIOUS maze in an actual game. It warps your sense of place. I could go on and on, but i'll just say I really liked it. Definitely a possible selection for best in show.

Zed: (Too Much Incline)
I just wanted to say, that I never imagined in my lifetime that I would battle the prosperoo (poo), lol. They were pretty tough too! That sleep spell makes me want to rage! ;P Saving a violet Shadow in distress, while covered in prosperoo (poo) was perfect. Prosper was oddly amusing (as usual) and a very difficult encounter to keep all party members alive, damn him! I tried a few times but I could not kill Sawyer and Roguey (with enough time it's seems plausible though). Loved all the Codex memes, was laughing the entire time. And for the record I let HHR fall to his doom. I wonder what would happen if I didn't cut the cord!?

BroSeph: (Escape from Liberal Hell)
The Machete Rapists were too weak! I crushed them beneath my boot heel! Ok, it was tough at first. ;P Like Felipepepe you used on screen effect animations (The giant purple ball that banishes you to liberal hell - non-combat), really cool. This game feels right out of the politics forum, and it seems that it has a lot of those characters too! Lots of grinding, but I enjoyed exploring the base RPG Maker's leveling/Skill/item system. I think I did about an hours worth of total play/grinding. Haha

Uh, well I'd written about each game individually, but for some reason the copy/paste did not work correctly and fucked it all up. Missing a few now! Son of a!

Last edited:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
You get 50xp and a warning that you doomed the politics forum.

Edit: replayed my game. Second dungeon level not railroaded enough so player might miss relevant story element. Lots of bugs/errors that need fixing too. Obsidian should hire me. :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom