Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Text Adventures (Interactive Fiction with Stats)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm greatly enjoying Treasures of a Slaver's Kingdom right now, and I wonder if there are any other worthwile text adventures out there with RPG elements in them. I like the text adventure genre, and it has great potential for adding some RPG gameplay.

Anything good out there?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Well, there's Eamon for the Apple II with hundreds of adventure disks available, and 3 Skulls RPG which is the only party based text RPG I know (a pretty unremarkable game otherwise).

There's also Alter Ego and The Hound of Shadow if you don't think RPGs require combat.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Would've thought there'd be more, considering how powerful modern text adventure programming languages/tools are (especially Inform 7).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Would've thought there'd be more, considering how powerful modern text adventure programming languages/tools are (especially Inform 7).
There are all the Choice Of games, there is a thread about them somewhere.

MisterStone

Arcane
You could play a MUD, no one is on them anymore, basically you'd be playing a single player game. :troll:

Stephane F.

Novice
Inform 7 is a wonderful tool for creating a RPG, if not the best (ok, excepted the fact that you have no graphics). JarlFrank, just give me 10 more years and I'll have finished my own text-RPG. Thousands of items and NPC's, factions, stats and skills, long-term reputation and, in general, the game keeping memory of the PC's actions and opinions ... and all that is so easy to code. Easy but long ...

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are some kickstarter projects that are basically gamebooks.

Holdfast is the name of one of these, though I have no idea where you can actually buy it.
I backed it but did not yet find the time or desire to get into it. I had a glimpse at the combat rules and they were somehow weird.

Speaking of buying, probably some among these are interesting:
http://gamebookadventures.com/
No idea if those have stats, though.

Last edited:

MisterStone

Arcane
I remember a series of text rpgs like the OP describes, where you could load characters in to play different modules. This was hella old, probably from the early 80s. Was that Eamon, or sth else?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Inform 7 is a wonderful tool for creating a RPG, if not the best (ok, excepted the fact that you have no graphics). JarlFrank, just give me 10 more years and I'll have finished my own text-RPG. Thousands of items and NPC's, factions, stats and skills, long-term reputation and, in general, the game keeping memory of the PC's actions and opinions ... and all that is so easy to code. Easy but long ...

This is why I am surprised that not more RPGs have been made with it, mostly just straight adventure games. Even though there are semi-official extensions for combat system and health points so you don't even have to code all the mechanics yourself. I played around with Inform 7 for a while and thought, hey, you could make RPGs with this quite effectively, I bet there are a lot of those around!

Haha nope. I once found one or two that were rather simple in their RPG elements (basically adventure game with some combat and XP - the Treasures of a Slaver's Kingdom one I mentioned in my OP is pretty good and fun and a good example for this), but that was all. There don't seem to be many IF writers who like using RPG elements in their adventure games, it seems...

Stephane F.

Novice
I'm french, so I can't tell about the english-speaking scene, excepted for Kerkerkruip. But in France we are a few people trying to program real RPGs - not "textual adventures" with a few RPG elements - in Inform7. I hope I'll be able to translate my own project when it is finished.

If anyone here is willing to launch a project but doesn't know how to code, I'm also ready to share my very little knowledge.

Gord

Arcane
I remember playing some pretty old ones on my old C64 many years ago. No idea what they were called, however.
In principle it was a series of small german rpg/adventure modules and I somehow liked the atmosphere of them.
Not sure if they had a parser, however, or if they have been menu-based.
Also given my age at the time, it's possible that they are rather simplistic.

Barghest

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech

crufty

Arcane
i have been writing one for 8 years now

it is harder then it looks since most IF stuff is not setup for stat based gameplay

flipside, stuff written 8 years ago still works today. so there is that.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
It's been 9 years, so it should be pretty close to release by now, right?

Right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom