Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview RPGFan does Alpha Protocol

Tags: Alpha Protocol; Obsidian Entertainment

RPGFan has <a href="http://www.rpgfan.com/previews/alphaprotocol/index.html">a preview</a> of Alpha Protocol based on the E3 showing. Not a huge amount of new information, but some snippets, and a lot of editor's (?) additions.<blockquote>However, when back at your home base, you can play with hair style (including facial hair), and accessorize with hats, glasses, etc. (You can change your clothes, too, but instead of just making Thorton look like Fidel Castro, it actually has repercussions in the game. -JohnM).
<br>
[...]
<br>
The trick to this dialogue system, that makes it stand apart from Mass Effect (and other BioWare titles) is that these dialogue sequences are like quick-time events. You have a time limit (and a fairly short one at that) to determine your reaction. Doing your homework is key: in the menu, your dossier gives you background information on nearly every character you meet. Thus, if you read up on the people you may encounter, you know how to properly control their reactions.
<br>
[...]
<br>
The game's combat system looked rough in the demo we saw, with plenty of little graphical glitches that need to be ironed out before launch. But combat looks like plenty of fun. You enter missions with a limited selection of a large stockpile of weaponry. As you level, you can assign skill points to certain proficiencies to help master weapons usage (including martial arts). Much like Mass Effect, players unlock abilities the further they have placed their points in a particular skill. (The combat was looking good, even if there were some alpha-build glitches. I've got faith in Obsidian that this will be cleaned up. -JohnM).
<br>
<br>
There's a lot more to say based on the 30 minutes of gameplay we saw. Missions are radically open-ended, and anyone who laments the plain old "good or bad" morality choices of other RPGs will enjoy the truly morally ambiguous quality of this game. It's not about right or wrong: it's about getting the job done right, and seeing what happens along the way. (That's including seeing if you can bag the Bond girls, too. -JohnM). There's no question that we'll be looking forward to this game's full launch before the end of 2009.</blockquote>Maybe I'm wrong, and I hope I am, but it seems like they are implying that there are "best" ways to handle each NPC and it's as simple as just getting the dossiers or using a walkthrough to maximize your results.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/">Gamebanshee</A>

Edward_R_Murrow said:
>Maybe I'm wrong, and I hope I am, but it seems like they are implying that there are "best" ways to handle each NPC and it's as simple as just getting the dossiers or using a walkthrough to maximize your results.
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/">Gamebanshee</A>

Unlikely - even in his crappier outings, an Avellone standby (and, to a lesser extent, in other Obsidian projects) has been that unique plot and background info is available by getting negative influence with NPCs. Not usually enough to justify not trying to max influence on the 1st playthrough (but then again, I can't think of an rpg with an influence system that DIDN'T have 'right' answers, even PS:T), but usually enough to warrant investigation on later playthroughs. Was one of the best parts of the NPCs in KoToR - from memory the techie guy in particular has extra plot information if he hates you enough, and the wookie gets stat bonuses the more he hates you.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Not to mention that even if there are "best" ways to handle each NPC, it's very likely that a lot of them are mutually exclusive. Doing favors for one will piss off another.

bhlaab

Erudite
I can't imagine a disposition system that doesn't have a specific "best" way to deal with each npc.

And even though it sounds like a cheat, I like the idea that as a spy you can read up on other people and try to manipulate them. It'd be better if you had to actually retrieve this information, however.

bhlaab

Erudite
Hümmelgümpf said:
bhlaab said:
It'd be better if you had to actually retrieve this information, however.
You do, and one of the previews mentioned that this information may be false.

i am anticipating this game

MetalCraze

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
Unlikely - even in his crappier outings, an Avellone standby (and, to a lesser extent, in other Obsidian projects) has been that unique plot and background info is available by getting negative influence with NPCs.

Wow I didn't know Descent to Undermountain and BG: Dark Alliance are that deep.

On-topic: Mass Effect: Alpha Protocol is still a piece of shit. If the reviewer thinks that AP's combat with wall-hack is good he is a fucking moron.

you can play with hair style (including facial hair), and accessorize with hats, glasses, etc.
Well at least we won't have to play a mini-game for that like in the upcoming example of depth and creativity.

it's about getting the job done right, and seeing what happens along the way. (That's including seeing if you can bag the Bond girls, too. -JohnM)
Another mature game.

kris

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
On-topic: Mass Effect: Alpha Protocol is still a piece of shit. If the reviewer thinks that AP's combat with wall-hack is good he is a fucking moron.

It is one thing to come up with constructive critisizm and another to say it is shit before you tested it.
... Oh right, it is skyway.

MetalCraze

Arcane
kris said:
It is one thing to come up with constructive critisizm and another to say it is shit before you tested it.

So Kris do you think taking it up the butt is a good experience? Don't answer unless you've tested it.

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
kris said:

So Kris do you think taking it up the butt is a good experience? Don't answer unless you've tested it.
Actually, considering the close proximity to the Prostate, it can be deduced that taking it up the ass can be pleasurable to men.
Of course, I only read that.

aries202

Erudite
While the dialogie choices do seem more interesting than the ones in Mass Effect, I'm not that into spy games. I won't be buying this game; I like the way the dialogues are implemented in the game, however.

DraQ

Arcane
Ahzaruuk said:
MetalCraze said:
kris said:

Actually, considering the close proximity to the Prostate, it can be deduced that taking it up the ass can be pleasurable to men.
Of course, I only read that.
Anatomy is ghey. ;(

:wink:

kris

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
kris said:

Now instead of a horrible analogy explain why the combat is so bad. I told you to come with critisizm, not just say it is shit based on nothing.

Also, i guess I can't answer your question.

MetalCraze

Arcane
kris said:
Now instead of a horrible analogy
Then it is worthy of defence that came before it.

explain why the combat is so bad.
Because this is basically a yet another turret simulator:
1. Jump behind cover by clicking retard button "I didn't know that bullets hurt!" like O or something
2. Wait until enemy pops up his head then shoot it.
2a. Enemies are marked with arrows that also show how many enemies are behind walls, yay!
2b. Remember - instead of a normal targeting system you get a "random circle" and targeting assist that shows when your shot will be the best one yay!
3. Repeat until all enemies are dead
4. Move under the next cover, halt
5. Repeat step 2
6. Repeat step 3
7. Repeat step 4
8. Repeat step 2
9. Repeat step 3
10. Repeat step 4

Is it so amazingly fun?
Out of all shooter systems ever invented this is the most boring as even twitchy shooters turn into a massive boredom where you even don't have to move. Gamepads I know.

I told you to come with critisizm, not just say it is shit based on nothing.
I will remember to quote this to all those Obsidian fanboi who constantly cry about how I'm constantly repeating the same shit.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Selective fanboi reading(tm) rules yes?
Then again I didn't know that apart other things like cover system DX and VtmB had a targeting minigame where you need to hold your crosshair over an enemy for a special amount of time until the indicator pops-up telling you that in this very moment the bullet from your gun will magically fly faster dealing massive criticals.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
Selective fanboi reading(tm) rules yes?
Nope. I'm not a fan of cover-based gameplay either and share your concerns about combat. That said, I'm mostly interested in AP because of C&C, so I don't care much about shooting. Besides, I survived the mines in Arcanum. It can't be worse than that, can it?
Then again I didn't know that apart other things like cover system DX and VtmB had a targeting minigame where you need to hold your crosshair over an enemy for a special amount of time until the indicator pops-up telling you that in this very moment the bullet from your gun will magically fly faster dealing massive criticals.
I do believe they did. The crosshair didn't turn red, but you still had to aim for a set amount of time that depended on your skill with guns to get a precise shot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom