Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News RPGPOCALYPSE: Obsidian and inXile have been acquired by Microsoft

Gord

Arcane
What about the Trademarks involved? Does Microsoft now own the Wasteland or Bard's Tale Trademark? PoE?
And what about Fig, by the way? Is it just going to die a slow death?

I look forward to the next AA-uprising, when they try to cut ties to evil publishers again and eventually manage to re-acquire the old and by-then-very-obscure trademarks again to have another go at it, again.

Bohr

Arcane
Not seeing a lot of concern for Fargo's blockchain/2nd hand game thing he was pushing :M

Are MS employees allowed to run things like that on the side? Concerned fans would appreciate a bit of clarity, I'm sure.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Remember when Chris Avellone said that he's not afraid of being sued by Obsidian because he has more money than them and than he'll ever need? Not any more it seems.
OK, very serious question here. Are you actually at all worried about any blowback from being so candid about a former employer? The game industry might be large, but it can also be damn small at the same time.

No, but good question.

Aside from making up what Obsidian chose to never pay me, I set aside a legal fund to deal with any repercussions, and I will fight anything they bring to the table, tooth and nail. I welcome it.

If confronted with evil (as categorized by existing employees who will soon resign - check back in a week or two for the latest round, even though one of them dropped yesterday), I will be prepared to fight it. I guarantee I have more in my bank account than Obsidian does, since they rarely think more than 2 months in advance - and unfortunately, their very, very expensive lawyer charges by the hour, which is unfortunate, but he knows, remora-like, what to attach himself to to get the most financial gain.

But it's all okay - Paradox has already been in touch, and they aren't too happy with how Obsidian handled the work they asked for. Future revelations will likely be much more fun than mine.

Also, it's interesting what he said about this subject half a year ago:

I think Roxor has it right; he’s not saying that Cain/Boyarsky should be management, he’s saying what he wants is not to run Obsidian, but for Tim and Leonard to have a lot of autonomy within Obsidian, which is not the same as running the company.

This. I know it's naive, but if you did have a situation with backing that took care of all the out-of-dev-team logistics (dealing with landlord, budget reports, dealing with accountant and taxes, CPA) and lets you do all you can to let you focus on just making content, I think the results of that would keep RPG'ers happy for a long time to come - for me, it was the owner parts that got in the way of having fun making content - or even feeling like I could make the content envisioned. But again, I think this would be a very hard situation to achieve, but I was allowed to give my take, so I did.

Chris Avellone, sorry to ask you a question about how to interpret your own answers, but if enough bombshells come out that Feargus and his fellow owners need to take a step back from managing the company, who would you recommend to take over Obsidian’s senior leadership positions? Or, if they manage to sell the studio, do you have any advice for who should be put in charge of Obsidian as a division within, say, Take-Two?

Well, that likely won't happen (selling the company is more likely - I think that was always the intention, but they need buyers and interested parties), but if the Indiana team gets along with Take-Two, working directly with T2 and being given or hiring a competent General Manager who runs the logistics of the studio/a new studio (but this GM would answer to Tim and Leonard if they needed resources, etc. - but they DON'T override them like an owner might) would be a nice thought, even if it's naive. (GM isn't a Lead Producer role, but someone that "runs" the studio while someone else helps with production duties on the project - you don't have to worry about day-to-day ops - they take care of all the high-level busywork).

In short, building a company-structured "patron" of sorts around a team would be my ideal situation, and where they can focus on creating the content they want without a lot of logistic hurdles.

If a company was danger of going under, yet a publisher had a great deal of investment in one of the teams, it wouldn't be unheard of for them to extract that team and move them to a new workplace - especially if they put a lot of resources in the game.

What tends to happen instead, is when an entire company is failing, they pump more money into the upper levels to keep the wheels turning (and then they use that to negotiate better end terms, which bleeds out the end result, causing a cycle of desperation). Even worse, the cash infusion doesn't mean the project itself benefits from it, it doesn't always filter down properly.

While establishing a company-structured "patron" sounds like a pipe dream, structuring a company around specific creatives are something I've seen happen (and been offered), and if it could happen again, I think RPG players would be happy with what's created with Tim and Leonard. I still think back to what could have happened in F2 if everyone outside the process had stepped away (we probably would have gotten a better F2). One can dream.

Also, I should probably say that selling a company doesn't benefit the employees overmuch beyond temporary $$$ - usually, they may get some new perks and a bonus, but the trend of what happens when a company is sold can be pretty bleak, even if the owners and key personnel are contracted to stick around for a few years after the sale (which is usually part of the terms). Worse, you suddenly notice that while you get some new perks, a lot of the day-to-day accepted elements you loved and the overall company culture and camaraderie tend to be phased out in accordance with the new overlords - usually many old perks and casual ways of doing things become no longer acceptable b/c the buying company doesn't approve of the practice. This, in turns, turns a familiar work environment into something else, and it's not often something developers are comfortable with because despite the gains, they see a lot of the old pillars they enjoyed at their job taken away, either in increments, or all at once.

That's why selling a company isn't necessarily a win (and not often a creative win) for anyone except the ones who are focused on $$$ and whose key motivation is making money vs. making games. To the culture's benefit, I don't find many developers enter the field expecting to get rich - that's a trait that happens over time, is teased at by opportunity once within games and they get blinded by it, or is held by a few that I don't think love games at all.

Last edited:

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Wasn't this supposed to be the RPG renaissance?
I still have hope for Tim and Leonard's new game. It has been in dev for quite a while. The content wouldn't be scraped now. And at least, Microsoft will bring some bucks to promote their games.

Delterius

Arcane
Feargus looks vampiric in this video

Perfect material to photoshop a dark hood and all that jazz.
I'll provide the dark hoods and the jazz

latest

bonus points if MCA is the avatar somehow

Deleted Member 22431

if I look deep into my heart, I feel kinda releived. Although I liked InXiles and Obsidian's new games, I always felt that they are on a bad path regarding their design. They are not like Iron Tower Studios, or Styg, who are commited to make these really old school RPGs. They want to make "kinda-oldschool" RPGs, but with as many modern touch as possible, because they wanted a huge success, wanted to broaden the audiance. And it felt bad.
The descendants of Interplay were supposed to be the experts and saviours of the genre, instead they dumbed down all the core stuff (combat system, resource management, etc.), and improve the superficial part (graphics and art). It's the same thing with Harebrained Schemes, InXile, etc. These AA developers are dumbing down a niche genre and ruining the next generation of wannabe cRPG players. Now, new players don't want to play the likes of Underrail or Age of Decadence because of graphics. This is profoundly corrupt. Instead of saving the genre, they are making it rot from the inside out. Traitors. All of them. Even Tim Cain with his stupid geometric figures.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
R.I.P. Obsidian and InXile. You gave us some good games to play. And some shitty ones too, but we will mercifully forget them... no, actually, we won't.

SpoilVictor

Educated
The real question is why on earth MS would want Obsidian and inXile? Two devs "specializing" in making old-school RPGs.

1. MS is completly out of touch and somehow believes that those 2 studios will help XBone (like any of them is capable of making polished AAA title for casual audience),
2. MS wants to push for PC market and finally capitalize on PC gaming = Windows. That could have fututre especially if they plan to finally ditch XBone. Yay for Windows Store:hahano:

Either way even if their offerings so far weren't so great I doubt that they will have chance to improve under new overlord.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The real question is why on earth MS would want Obsidian and inXile? Two devs "specializing" in making old-school RPGs.

1. MS is completly out of touch and somehow believes that those 2 studios will help XBone (like any of them is capable of making polished AAA title for casual audience),
2. MS wants to push for PC market and finally capitalize on PC gaming = Windows. That could have fututre especially if they plan to finally ditch XBone. Yay for Windows Store:hahano:

Either way even if their offerings so far weren't so great I doubt that they will have chance to improve under new overlord.

Google "Game Pass". Or just read this: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...ired-by-microsoft.123302/page-34#post-5877827

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
What about the Trademarks involved? Does Microsoft now own the Wasteland or Bard's Tale Trademark? PoE?
One of the conditions for selling inExile was that Fargo won't retire. Fargo personally holds the IP's iirc.

Ulrox

Arbiter

As much as I think that there's some validity to your statement. I still think this cannot be the whole reason behind it. I suspect it may well have to do with microsoft thinking they can make something out of InXile and Obsidian. They probably believe that with their help, they can turn them into huge studios for AAA development. People on these forums may find that that idea very strange, but its the perspective that makes the most sense to me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

As much as I think that there's some validity to your statement. I still think this cannot be the whole reason behind it. I suspect it may well have to do with microsoft thinking they can make something out of InXile and Obsidian. They probably believe that with their help, they can turn them into huge studios for AAA development. People on these forums may find that that idea very strange, but its the perspective that makes the most sense to me.

I can see that being true for Obsidian, but inXile? The text of the newspost suggests that each company will be targeted towards a different niche:

While they do share a common heritage, the two creative teams at Obsidian and inXile are very different. They will continue to operate autonomously with their unique talents, IP and expertise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom