Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Company News RPGPOCALYPSE: Obsidian and inXile have been acquired by Microsoft

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I can see that being true for Obsidian, but inXile? The text of the newspost suggests that each company will be targeted towards a different niche:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. BEvers I'm forever blowing

BEvers
    Maybe they bought inXile to explore the potential of their VR battle royale game. That could definitely be turned into AAA material.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. V_K Arcane

V_K
    They probably just want more Demon's Forge.

• Funny x 8
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 3
    • Excited! x 3
    • Yes x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    I really really hope this doesn't mean that future Obsidian and inXile titles will be Windows 10 exclusive, because I refuse to "upgrade" to that piece of shit system.

• Fabulously Optimistic x 9
    • Brofist x 5
    • Despair x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Azalin Arcane Patron

Azalin
    Yeah, I am sure MS spent all that money to buy Obsidian,Inxile and all those studios they bought a few months ago in E3 so that Gaben and Sony can take a piece of the pie...Titles like W3 will be ok and perhaps the Cain-Boyarsky project since there is a contract with Take Two but future titles will be Gamepass/Win10/Xbox exclusives.
    PS4 easily beat Xbone in the exclusives department and it looks like they are trying to change that when the next gen comes out.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. The Glitterdust Golem Prophet Patron

The Glitterdust Golem
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Interested to see what this brings to the table. Fargo's better as a middleman and Feargus' chubby backside can get the boot if it talks too much, and I will be sincerely impressed if anything worse than Tides (the brown standard) comes out of this.

If nothing else, it'll be entertaining to watch their supporters wail. "Publishers ruin everything!"

Ha-ha-ha.

What comes after they dissolve? Another wave of 'indie' kickstarter madness? History repeats itself.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Shaewaroz Arcane

Shaewaroz
    In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
    You guys still remember this little video? Can you spot the sellout?

Hint: The boy is Microsoft.

• Funny x 15
    • Brofist x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. StrongBelwas Learned Patron

StrongBelwas
    Do cracked copies of Windows Store exclusive games still need to be running on W10 to work? I recall people saying Halo 2's Vista requirement was easy to get rid of.

• PIRACY IS WRONG PIRACY IS WRONG x 5
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    The Chad AA developer who gets to move into AAA funding by virtue of selling lots of games vs. the Virgin Failures who get bought out by a mega corporation. It's poetic, really.

I really wish Cain & Boyarsky weren't at Obsidian, it makes me conflicted. If they weren't there I'd happily wish for Obsidian to go down in flames tomorrow, Fearghus is just too easy to loathe.

Based on what's been happening with Diablo Immortal, it's entirely possible he saw the writing on the wall with Blizzard shuttering Diablo as a PC focused franchise, or was even asked to shift to mobile himself. Not sure which is the worse place to be at this point, honestly. Probably still Blizzard is better because of job security and pay.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. theSavant Prophet

theSavant
    flabulously floptimistic

^ Top  
  11. Diggfinger Cipher

Diggfinger
    Interesting. Brian seems content, and Feargus gets "happy every time he thinks about it". What's not to like?

Let's see if we can get a classic from Boyarsky and Cain, and maybe a cool (Darklands 2) game from Sawyer?

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Shaewaroz Arcane

Shaewaroz
    In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Bohr Arcane

Bohr
    Going to wait and see before just writing this off, a couple of Patch Tuesdays and it could be in good shape

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Prime Junta Arcane Patron

Prime Junta
    This reminds me of when Microsoft bought the phone business from Nokia.

That turned out well.

Edit: What happened to Brian's upper lip? There seems to be some kind of mold on it.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    • Funny x 8
    • Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. empathymachine Literate

empathymachine
    The only good thing that may come out of this (apart from the staff getting paid on time I guess) is that Feargus' mismanagement and nepotism will face a dramatic backlash from the corporate rats faster than he expressed his excitement for joining the great "Microsoft's family" in the Obsidian's shill "special announcement" video, lol.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    But what does this mean for Robot Cache???

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. set Cipher

set
    Microsoft realizes they need some first parties. That's all this is. I hope they got them for cheap.
    You can expect Obsidian and inXile to churn out console-focused RPGs for the next few years before being laid to rest.
    The most I can hope for is Obsidian gets a hold of a good M$ franchise and does SOMETHING with i

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    Oh no looks like the lithuanian hitmen got h

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  19. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    He at least had the balls to self-publish. Reading his blog has definitely been enlightening and you understand why a studio would opt out of that even if they have to give certain percentage to the publishers. I guess he learned his lesson for DOS2 unless it was a strictly distribution deal, though.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Country_Gravy Arcane Patron

Country_Gravy
    Wasteland 2
    This pretty much summed it up for me. At first I thought, "Oh no!" but then I realized that i never finished W2 or PoE and BTIV was only worth the $20 Kickstarter because of the remakes.

I don't really care about this. Would like to know how much they paid for them. Maybe buried somewhere in their next earnings report?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Alpharius Educated

Alpharius
    Eagerly anticiapting free to play "Wasteland: The card game" windows-mobile exclusive.

• Excited! Excited! x 2
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Tovias Educated

Tovias
    Big oof for Obsidian, but seeing how all their attempts at doing their own shit tends to back fire, maybe having some big boy at the reins will help them. I mean, people treat FNV and KOTOR2 as their best games and those sure as hell weren't examples of Obsidian being independent.

• Agree Agree x 9
    ^ Top  
  23. Bumvelcrow Bellator Sempervirens Patron

Bumvelcrow
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I wish I could feel bad about this but, after making sure it isn't actually the 1st April, I don't really care. Obsidian has been on a long slide into irrelevancy for a decade, punctuated by the brief hope of PoE, and inXile is a jumped up mobile developer with no idea how to make an RPG.

TimCain , GTF out and resurrect Troika. You know you want to.

• Salute Salute x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Theldaran Scholar

Theldaran
    I think MS will be happy if inXile and Obsidian deliver future exclusives that sell as much as Ni no Kuni and Dragon Quest on PS4. Prior to this, they didn't have anything like that.

There are some people who deeply hate JRPGs/all things Japanese/typical grinding, so there's a lot of market for WRPGs.

It can be either the most terrible train wreck ever, or a rennaissance for Obsidian, particularly. Myself, I just think that the creative spirit within Obsidian has gone dry some time ago. So maybe they sell, but they won't probably do something really great.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    • Brofist x 8
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 4
    • No x 2
    • meh x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)