Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News RPGPOCALYPSE: Obsidian and inXile have been acquired by Microsoft

Theldaran

Liturgist
All kidding asides guys, what the fuck was Microsoft thinking? Actually I can get the InXile purchase to a certain extent; Fargo makes for a pretty good snake oil salesman, Wasteland 3 could get some decent backing and turn into “their” Fallout and overall the level of credibility wasn’t too bad.... I actually liked both W2 and BT4 but Obsidian? Even if it was dirty cheap their IPs are nothing and unless the Cain Boyarski game is something truly the level of a Hellblade or they just want to have plenty of $30 games on their Microsoft stores it just doesn’t make much sense
I actually like Fargo and I think it could help them a lot but after all the MCA dirty on Fergus I sort of feel like he won, all the bullshit and underhanded shit worked for him and here is his payday
I truly hope that Sawyer gets the fuck out of there, he doesn’t deserve to be making Minecraft addons

I was thinking the opposite. Probably inXile has made even less merits than Obsidian.

Microsoft probably thinks they've secured two good WRPG-capable studios, but I guess they're not blind and know they can't ask too much of them, especially right away.

Both studios weren't doing that well (which probably has reflected on the buyout price), but they can potentially benefit from MS' financial muscle. Provided they've got any talent left.

All in all Rare's shadow looms over them (and Rare had a way more glorious past than both these studios)

Mortmal

Arcane
No they are very well aware of their purchase, bought 2 cheap studios , they will now slave doing shovelware for gamepass or mainstream AAA like southpark. They will dry them, make them overwork, till most of them resign , then they will be disbanded.

Quantomas

Savant
Brian Fargo sounds at least like he has a drop of spirit left, while Obsidian sounds just defeated.

Sad to see them fold, but that was kind of inevitable with the way they missed their last two opportunities each.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Does Microsoft have any interesting IP's that Insidian could turn into something?

IMO they'd better put themselves at work on something good, and quick. Stop this absurd BG nostalgia milking.

If they really want to be as good as BG, they should try to do something no one has done before; that was the fuel behind BG and some other great games.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Brian Fargo sounds at least like he has a drop of spirit left, while Obsidian sounds just defeated.
You are imagining this into them. They sounded perfectly fine, and they are propably happy that they will have some job security, at least for a while.

My feeling was more that it was Fargo who was unhappy about the whole deal, not Obsidian employees.

I feel sad about the whole thing. Even if the performance of inXile and Obsidian wasn't as good as it should, it just depressing to see them being swallowed by the giant, spying monster.

wtrboy

Novice
It's pretty ironic that supposed RPG devs are being wrecked by choices and consequences.

They rolled a shit build.
All kidding asides guys, what the fuck was Microsoft thinking? Actually I can get the InXile purchase to a certain extent; Fargo makes for a pretty good snake oil salesman, Wasteland 3 could get some decent backing and turn into “their” Fallout and overall the level of credibility wasn’t too bad.... I actually liked both W2 and BT4 but Obsidian? Even if it was dirty cheap their IPs are nothing and unless the Cain Boyarski game is something truly the level of a Hellblade or they just want to have plenty of $30 games on their Microsoft stores it just doesn’t make much sense
I actually like Fargo and I think it could help them a lot but after all the MCA dirty on Fergus I sort of feel like he won, all the bullshit and underhanded shit worked for him and here is his payday
I truly hope that Sawyer gets the fuck out of there, he doesn’t deserve to be making Minecraft addons

I was thinking the opposite. Probably inXile has made even less merits than Obsidian.

Microsoft probably thinks they've secured two good WRPG-capable studios, but I guess they're not blind and know they can't ask too much of them, especially right away.

Both studios weren't doing that well (which probably has reflected on the buyout price), but they can potentially benefit from MS' financial muscle. Provided they've got any talent left.

All in all Rare's shadow looms over them (and Rare had a way more glorious past than both these studios)
My feeling was more that it was Fargo who was unhappy about the whole deal, not Obsidian employees.

I feel sad about the whole thing. Even if the performance of inXile and Obsidian wasn't as good as it should, it just depressing to see them being swallowed by the giant, spying monster.

Yeah, they both talk a lot about "partnering" with Microsoft and becoming part of the Microsoft "family" while maintaining their individual identities as formerly independent studios - wonder how long those identities will survive.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Shadowrun shouldn't be done for a while. BG3 is much more probable, especially since Fargo said he knew who'd be working on it.

Yeah, they both talk a lot about "partnering" with Microsoft and becoming part of the Microsoft "family" while maintaining their individual identities as formerly independent studios - wonder how long those identities will survive.

It never worked even for bigger fish (Blizzard and the like), smaller studios either become the part of the blob in a few years keeping only their name (if that) or get quietly taken out to the backyard and shot like the best of em.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
This is somewhat sad but not entirely unexpected - especially in Obsidian's case, there were rumors for a while now. It's a bittersweet feeling to see these two companies in particular "join the Microsoft family" (i.e. I imagine they'll be relegated to making console/mobile bullshit) since they were the ones that really spearheaded the Kickstarter-driven RPG renaissance of the past several years. Obsidian has also given us some all-time classics in the past and it's looking very unlikely that they'll ever make anything as good as MotB or even New Vegas ever again.

On the other hand, I think most people here agree that these companies are no longer what they used to be even 5 years ago and the quality of their recent releases has been, to put it mildly, lacking. In that sense, I suppose it's not that huge of a loss and I think it's premature to declare the Age of Incline to be over while we still have great studios like Larian, Iron Tower et al!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom