Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs on the go

TheGameSquid

Scholar
Brothers

There's a strong possibility that I'll have to deal with a massively increased commute in the next few months. So I'm looking for some juicy incline on the go. I've got a bunch of portable machines: a modded 3DS and Vita, and an unmodded (I'll probably change that soon) Switch. Now I'm looking for stuff to play on it.

There's four categories that we can discuss:
1. Weeb games for 3DS, Vita or Switch that are actually good
2. Emulated weeb games of old, preferably a nice bit of blobbin'
3. Weird console ports of PC classics and other junk
4. DosBox games that are actually playable with a gamepad (doubt these exist)

I probably already own most of the games from category 3 that are worth playing (I finished all the SMT games already).

Category 3 is the one I've been looking into recently, and I'm looking for feedback on them. How true to the originals are these and are they worth playing?:
  1. Might and Magic Book One (NES)
  2. Might and Magic Book Two, the Western version (SNES)
  3. Might and Magic Book Two, the Jap version (SNES) (Fan Translation)
  4. Pool of Radiance (NES)
  5. Eye of the Beholder (SEGA CD)
  6. Eye of the Beholder (SNES)
  7. Wizardry I-II-III: Story of Llylgamyn (SNES) (Fan Translation)
  8. Wizardry V (SNES) (Fan Translation)
  9. Wizardry VI (SNES) (Fan Translation)
  10. Buck Rogers Countdown To Doomsday (MEGA DRIVE)
  11. Dungeons and Dragons: Eye of the Beholder (GBA) (Not a port but looks like a Gold Box game?)
  12. Wizardry Gaiden IV: Throb of the Demon's Heart (SNES) (Not a port but basically a Wizardry we never got)

SUGGEST AWAY MEN

Butter

Arcane
Patron
iu

Sentinel

Arcane
For your android device:
Dragon Quest
Dragon Quest II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line
Dragon Quest III: The Seeds of Salvation
For your 3DS:
Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation
Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
For your Switch:
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

Eli_Havelock

Learned
I noticed that you didn't have Wizardry IV: The Return of Werdna on the list. This is good, else the handheld might be thrown.

I would suggest you reconsider Pool of Radiance (NES) for the same reason.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Obviously also you can play on Android-based emulation of SNES or PS1:

Wizardry 1-3 on SNES (or PS1 versions, which have certain advantages over the SNES ones but have much uglier graphics however, whereas the SNES versions have BEAUTIFUL 2D sprite art). Wizardry 4 and 5 on PS1 (Wiz 4 is only on PS1, and the PS1 ver. of Wiz 5 > the SNES one). Wiz 6 SNES (great version of the game).

Plus the aforementioned The Dark Spire I posted above which is for Nintendo DS.

EDIT: And don't forget Wizardry Gaiden 4 (SNES) as well, one of the best Wizardry scenarios!

EDIT 2: And don't forget...

ELMINAGE: ORIGINAL on PSP!!!!
170px-Elminage_Original_JP.jpg

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
All the goldbox games should be playable on gamepad. You only need directional input and return. Dark Sun Shattered Lands, somebody would have to mess with.

Stefmob

Novice
I played and im still playing Baldur's gate 1 & 2, and shadowrun on android mobile and i really enjoyed it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom