Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

marek

Educated
Iggy bin.
Why ask when you don't want replies? Anyway, Planescape:Torment is so far above other games including the (good to great) games on your list, hard to take you serious if you *really* think its a "major mess" and don't just want to stir controversy...

marek

Educated
Iggy bin.
Why ask when you don't want replies?

You have failed the Lilura test. You're clearly not a lover of objective RPG masterpieces

Thankfully, neither is anyone else on the codex

Yeah^^, just joined this site to use the active dark sun thread, saw this post & wanted to add to it. But reading the thread further, it seems the OP is just telling everyone how her arbitrary qualifiers/disqualifiers for masterpieces are right, everyone with differing opinion is wrong - and cause she wrote a lot of text on her favorite games, that opinion is absolute objective truth (masterpieces are not at all personal preference, no way!)...

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
A masterpiece is something you submit to be allowed into a guild. I would be embarrassed to submit rtwp shit to the guild for my seat among the masters. "lol no turns? Away with this faggot!"

marek

Educated
A masterpiece is something you submit to be allowed into a guild. I would be embarrassed to submit rtwp shit to the guild for my seat among the masters. "lol no turns? Away with this faggot!"
If you are talking about the medieval crafters guilds, it was (and actually still is in germany) like this:
"Lehrling" (apprentice) -> create "Gesellenstück" -> Geselle (journeyman i guess) & part of guild -> create "Meisterstück" (masterpiece) to become a master

In that sense, a masterpiece is not the best piece of work you ever created, but the piece you created to become a master... (but considering you need to convince other masters that you are worthy, it has to be rather hard & very high quality)

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Betrayal at Krondor. It may be the only game, to have its story adapted, by the original author of the setting, to a full-length novel with only minor changes.
uh. Dragonlance?
Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but isn't that the other way around, where the original authors also made the game?
Dragonlance was conceived by TSR as an attempt to cash in on the popularity of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy by creating an epic series of 12 adventure modules in which the players would follow a pre-determined lengthy storyline in a Tolkienesque setting, with an accompanying trilogy of novels following the same storyline using a set of characters who were also the pre-generated PCs available in the modules. The last of the trilogy of novels was published in late 1985, around the same time as the 8th module in the adventure series, which took another year to reach completion. Tracy Hickman was both the co-author of the novels (with Margaret Weis) and also the author or co-author of half the adventure modules, but many others were involved in the creation of the basics of the Dragonlance setting and the outlines of the adventure module campaign. The two parts of Dragonlance, adventure modules and novels, really had the same genesis, and neither can be considered an adaptation of the other.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bunch of ape retards spouting off about Baldur's Gate with their absolutely shit opinions. I honestly understand people that ignore others, it really is exhausting having to read shit like this sometimes. Note how all the people talking about this shit are 2019 newfags, and grade A retards like Canoli.

Latro

Arcane
Bunch of ape retards spouting off about Baldur's Gate with their absolutely shit opinions. I honestly understand people that ignore others, it really is exhausting having to read shit like this sometimes. Note how all the people talking about this shit are 2019 newfags, and grade A retards like Canoli.
you poor neglected genius!

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All that dick up your ass must be fucking with your brain Latro, you're not making any sense.

Latro

Arcane
All that dick up your ass must be fucking with your brain Latro, you're not making any sense.
you get very sexual every time you talk to me...

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
l8 to the party as always.

Guise, all youse masterpiece lists are pathetically short. It's prolly due to ya'll being toddler age. I know I know, everything is shit....but I've played at least a few dozen genuinely great RPGs in my lifetime and I have NOT played them all, not even close.

One great example right in the OP - Hired Guns. One of the many great RPGs hardly anyone is ever talking about. And there are so many more. Anyone remembers Ishar? Legends of Valour? Ravenloft? Albion? Wizards&Warriors? This shit is never even mentioned in the "bestes Codex evah" poll even tho all those games absolutely deserve their place in the hall of fame. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Goddamn isometricfags, do your homework.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Ishar only had nice pixel graphics, the rest is a subpar RT blobber, Legends of Valour was a cheap, terrible UU clone. Ravenloft/Albion/W&W were fun, I give you that, but not masterpieces by a long shot

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
you get very sexual every time you talk to me...
He's a varsity wrestler.

marek

Educated
Welcome to the Codex. Please enjoy your (likely brief) stay.

Hehe. No, the threads with content are great. And even in opinion threads which seem to be about calling others shithead and retard mostly (with a bit of 4chan-like spin), there are some games i didn't know of between shitposts, so seems likely i'll stay for a while. Just need to acclimate, i guess^^

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Hehe. No, the threads with content are great. And even in opinion threads which seem to be about calling others shithead and retard mostly (with a bit of 4chan-like spin), there are some games i didn't know of between shitposts, so seems likely i'll stay for a while. Just need to acclimate, i guess^^

It's honestly a great place, if you manage to overlook that most people here are insane

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

It's honestly a great place, if you manage to overlook that most people here are insane

You can also try to read Lilura threads with Lilura ignored. Amazing thing.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Iggy bin. Iggy bin.

289_1_205517.jpg

Hello, my name is Lilura and every night, i touch myself while writing on my blog about Baldur's Gate.

:fight: : - Baldur's Gate is Garbage ...

Last edited:

Skdursh

Savant
Gothic 1 + 2
Risen
ELEX (not even memeing)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat
Neverwinter Nights 1 + 2 (for MotB and community content)
Morrowind
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Dark Souls
Geneforge series
Exile series
Ultima VII
Fallout 1 + 2
ATOM RPG
Pathologic Classic + Pathologic 2
System Shock 2
Thief 2 (it's RPG-ish)
Dwarf Fortress
Elona+
ToME
Cataclysm: DDA

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom