Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

barghwata

Savant
Someone calling something art does not make it so. Everyone is calling everything art thanks to modern liberalism. When everything is art, nothing is art because it is a meaningless descriptor.
What you are doing is positing that because someone assigned a description to something, it must automatically be true.
This post is art, you can't disagree with me.

How much for your post?

:takemymoney:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
You can find an idiot to sell anything to. Paying for something does not legitimize it as anything, all that means is that you could find a sucker to sell something to.

True. But when the whole world is composed of suckers willing to pay for tasteless shit, that shit becomes art. And you become a marginal, denying the world and society that surrounds you. Denying the facts.

What I personally don't understand is why everyone here is so edgy about the topic. Okay, people sell and buy tickets to the yellow room, and the world accepted that kind of shit as an artwork - so what? What's so tragic about having good art and bad art? Why are you so fixed on having good art only, you're ready to deny the fucking reality itself?

At this point, with everything being art, we have circled back to the differentiation of good and bad, and can do away with the label of art since it has brought nothing of tangible or critical value to describing something.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Someone calling something art does not make it so. Everyone is calling everything art thanks to modern liberalism. When everything is art, nothing is art because it is a meaningless descriptor.
What you are doing is positing that because someone assigned a description to something, it must automatically be true.
This post is art, you can't disagree with me.

The notion that everything is art is only being pushed because it facilitates money laundering.

That said, a game, virtual or not is not art. At the same way that a sport is not art. A sport competition can have art forms of art(music and dance) during the intervals between rounds/matches but the sport itself is not art. Same with gaming. A ping pong is not a art but a star wars game can have cinematic, modeling, music, etc which is art. And there are nothing wrong with not being art. Chess is not art but is a amazing game. Easy to learn and hard to master, tons of tournaments...

As soon as you start making money selling this post as an art medium, I'll agree with you. In fact, you wouldn't need me to agree with you - it will be an objective fact.

So a retired guy who compose songs and distribute as royalty free music on internet because he loves to compose music isn't making art? But if a shit is sold to a drug lord in a bizarre money laundering scheme, then is art?

-----------------------------------------------

Trying to move back the discussion to gaming. Fallout New Vegas is a masterpiece. Combines the good aspect of old fallout games(dialog, iterations) with the good of bugthesda fallouts and even improves by implementing aiming down sights and other mechanics.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
At this point, with everything being art, we have circled back to the differentiation of good and bad, and can do away with the label of art since it has brought nothing of tangible or critical value to describing something.

Not everything. Now you're just being over-dramatic.

A ping pong is not a art but a star wars game can have cinematic, modeling, music, etc which is art.

And what if you have shitty music, a cinematic that doesn't make sense out of game's context, and a model that makes you feel nothing until you see it where it belongs due to the plot?

"Music isn't art. But it can have rhymes and melodies, which is art."

So a retired guy who compose songs and distribute as royalty free music on internet because he loves to compose music isn't making art?

Oh, ffs. At this point I'm not even sure if you're trolling or not. Being traded as an art piece is not a single exclusive criteria that defines art. If a piece made its way to a world-known commercial art museum, in other words, made it to the industry - it's undeniably art.

If art was a disease, then being traded would be a symptom that defines the disease. Now I'm doing metaphors. Next step I'll have to draw pictures and explain it with gestures, because apparently words are not enough.

Thunar

Educated
What does Lilura even play in her free time? You can only replay through the same games for so long...
Perhaps she has ascended to the point where she sustains her RPG cravings on iggy binning and sassy comments.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
What does Lilura even play in her free time? You can only replay through the same games for so long...
Perhaps she has ascended to the point where she sustains her RPG cravings on iggy binning and sassy comments.

People on the codex don't have time to play games, bitching about them is a full time job

Dramart

Learned
If you did, you wouldn't have such bad taste.

There are anyone here who isn't in your ignored list?

Just kidding. Anyway, M&B has good combat. Fallout too. Except 3 and 76.
They don't have good combat. M&B has the same combat as Skyrim and Oblivion. Games with good combat are Dark Souls, Devil May Cry, God of War. Still M&B does other things well, the battles are immersive, conquering all the other cities and making your army greater, visiting towns and talking to NPCs, etc. It's a great game, has good gameplay, the things I mentioned are part of gameplay, combat is too, but is not that great to be considered a masterpiece.

JDR13

Arcane
What does Lilura even play in her free time?

516%2BREw%2BllL._SX355_.jpg

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
M&B has the same combat as Skyrim and Oblivion. Games with good combat are Dark Souls, Devil May Cry, God of War. Still M&B does other things well, the battles are immersive, conquering all the other cities and making your army greater, visiting towns and talking to NPCs, etc. It's a great game, has good gameplay, the things I mentioned are part of gameplay, combat is too, but is not that great to be considered a masterpiece.

Are you crazy? Skyrim combat is click, click, click or with magic dual firebolt and stag to win. Archery is the unique good thing about skyrim's combat

And guess what. The main point of combat systems on RPG's are to be immersive.

barghwata

Savant
M&B has the same combat as Skyrim and Oblivion. Games with good combat are Dark Souls, Devil May Cry, God of War. Still M&B does other things well, the battles are immersive, conquering all the other cities and making your army greater, visiting towns and talking to NPCs, etc. It's a great game, has good gameplay, the things I mentioned are part of gameplay, combat is too, but is not that great to be considered a masterpiece.

TES's melee combat has to be the worst combat i have ever seen in any ARPG i've ever played, i know M&B's melee combat isn't something special or anything but it's insulting to compare it to TES.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
People on the codex don't have time to play games, bitching about them is a full time job

That may be true for you and some others, but for me it's about mastery + commentary + authority.

It's EZ to separate the ones that know RPGs from the ones that don't: content of posts. Also, EZ to separate the ones that were gaming in the glory days fom the ones that weren't: form of posts.

It's all about separation: clearance from the crowd.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's EZ to separate the ones that know RPGs from the ones that don't: content of posts. Also, EZ to separate the ones that were gaming in the glory days fom the ones that weren't: form of posts.
Where do I fall?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Where do I fall?

You have the knowledge but lack some of the form. You, Fairfax and various other knowlegeable posters sound a lil' too modern. I prefer the posting form of Grimwulf, CMB, ERYFKRAD and Rogueknight. And of course, my own.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom