Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Viata

Arcane
few real females on the codex
rating_citation.png

Blobber combat is inferior to Isometric games,in isometric games you can position your party,block enemy path,kite enemies,there's also things like movement points,fog of war,range and area of effect attacks...it's much more tactical.Blobber combat however,is a lot more about RNG.

The AI is less cheeseable in blobber combat though.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Blobber combat is inferior to Isometric games,in isometric games you can position your party,block enemy path,kite enemies,there's also things like movement points,fog of war,range and area of effect attacks...it's much more tactical.Blobber combat however,is a lot more about RNG.

The AI is less cheeseable in blobber combat though.
Which blobber combat lol? Most of them have either turnbased combat or a phase based where both parties move at x time. Tho i do agree that rtwp is generally the most tactical combat.

Citizen

Blobber combat is inferior to Isometric games,in isometric games you can position your party,block enemy path,kite enemies,there's also things like movement points,range and area of effect attacks...it's much more tactical.Blobber combat however,is a lot more about RNG.

What about wiz8 where you have movement points, can position party members, block enemy path and use area of effect attacks?

Blobber combat is inferior to Isometric games,in isometric games you can position your party,block enemy path,kite enemies,there's also things like movement points,range and area of effect attacks...it's much more tactical.Blobber combat however,is a lot more about RNG.

What about wiz8 where you have movement points, can position party members, block enemy path and use area of effect attacks?

I don't know,i've never played wizardry 8.I did play a bit of wizardry 6 and 7,their combat seems to be worse than isometric RPGs,i have very little control over the outcome of a battle in Wiz6&7,is most decided by RNG.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

and had to wait for half an hour for a trash fight to end.....and then get another one 5 steps later :)

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
and had to wait for half an hour for a trash fight to end.....and then get another one 5 steps later :)

Mods will fix already fixed that!
I know that mate,also you could always use cheatengine. Still it was a major flaw of the original,it made the game unplayable because of how slow the animation was and how the enemy were sponges. It is just fair to point it out,since we are talking about original combat mechanics and not what was fixed by mods.

Isometric is only superior is if it's actually good (and no, RTwP does not make it bad). Otherwise quick blobber combat is superior.

Agree,fallout 1 is a example of meh isometric combat,where is most decided by RNG and you have very little control over the outcome of a battle.

But a good isometric combat like Xcom,FF tactics,Jagged Alliance and Gold box games is the best type of combat.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Anyone here think HoMM3 is a masterpiece?
It's just that I'm trying to find meaning in my current playthrough. Wealth accumulation and power progression seem all-2-EZ.
It is a good game but for your prestigious search there is nothing wrong with you dropping it. You should instead try out Eador Genesis and Age of Wonders, they are vastly superior TBS games.

I know that mate,also you could always use cheatengine. Still it was a major flaw of the original,it made the game unplayable because of how slow the animation was and how the enemy were sponges. It is just fair to point it out,since we are talking about original combat mechanics and not what was fixed by mods.

Is really that bad ? how much time it takes to finish Wiz8 with and without Wiz8fast ?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Is really that bad ? how much time it takes to finish Wiz8 with and without Wiz8fast ?
Have no idea,never managed to finish it without fast cheats. I remember getting like 10-15 minutes of a trash fights. It was really slow and annoying,and that was during my time where i didn't notice such things.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Meh, I'm a gamer first and foremost. I'm actually more knowledgeble on, say, Amiga, Genesis and SNES games (all genre) than I am about Renaissance-era RPGs. If the game scratches similar itches as "pure" RPGs do, who cares?

I'm interested in infodumps on Genesis and SNES games.

Comte

Meh, I'm a gamer first and foremost. I'm actually more knowledgeble on, say, Amiga, Genesis and SNES games (all genre) than I am about Renaissance-era RPGs. If the game scratches similar itches as "pure" RPGs do, who cares?

I'm interested in infodumps on Genesis and SNES games.

I figure snes and genesis infodumps would probably bring more traffic. Soy Boys and Bug men would flock to the blog.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom