Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs that is necessary to take a lot of notes

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I am playing Lurking 2; it has hundreds of conversations which are almost all meaningful in some way, with keywords in said conversations often having no in-game hints, a huge gameworld coupled with a very limited mini-map and songs and spells that need to be discovered. I have about two pages of notes after ten hours, without which I would have been completely screwed. About the only thing you don't need to do is map dungeons, although you can still get lost in the larger ones. Also, since it is a new game and indie, there are absolutely no guides on the internet so you are on your own...

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
So, basically the newer games dumbed down the exploration faggotry.

Big news. :deadhorse:

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Magic Candle bar none. The games are seriously batshit insane in the note taking department.

While you can memorise most things in Ultima, there is no way in hell you will memorise even a quarter of the stuff just the first game in the series throws at you.

Ultima 4 has a fair bit of note taking.

Ultima Underworld has a surprising amount of note taking.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
As long as you use DOSBox it's easier to screen cap anything of interest.
It saves on trees, and you no longer have to decipher your own handwriting.

Cael

Arcane
As long as you use DOSBox it's easier to screen cap anything of interest.
It saves on trees, and you no longer have to decipher your own handwriting.
Played and completed the first one when it first came out. Took a look at the second one and said, "Fuck that! I'm not going through that again. Football time!"

V_K

Arcane
So, basically the newer games dumbed down the exploration faggotry.
Well, "newer" in this case means means the late 90s worshiped here.
Basically, the three things that killed note-taking and clue-gathering are:
1) Switching from keywords to dialog trees, which are much more easily exhaustible.
2) Structuring of the game plot into neat self-contained "quests".
3) Quest journals.
I believe, Fallout/BG are among the first, if not the first, games to have all three.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Sup, deplorable bitches? How you doing?

The title is self explanatory. I want to write a lot. Not necessarily map dungeons. But I want to write meagnifull shit. So, what rpgs are good for that? I guess the Ultima series demands some notes to be taken. But I want to know other options.

I am excited because I guess I will see a lot of oldies here.

Fire on.
Play my game, faggot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom