Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs where you are a businessman in a fantasy world

deama

Prophet
kamidori alchemy meister

Path of exile

Cael

Arcane
Oh, that. Not worth the time. You get virtually unlimited cash simply because I’m totally a psycho, and you can find the best normal weapons and armour off the corpses of dead humans which I devour, and you can't really buy the magic stuff anyway. There isn't much to spend gold on, other than spells and reagents and you get more than enough just robbing people like the butcher and the Minoc mines then bathing in their entrails. Bwahaha!
What’s a paladin?
:killitwithfire:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i heard a guy once asked 'what's a paladin' and immediately went into an autistic spiral of depression and disabled comments on all of his videos.

Cael

Arcane
i heard a guy once asked 'what's a paladin' and immediately went into an autistic spiral of depression and disabled comments on all of his videos.
That phrase is pretty lethal to all advocates of :incline:

Cael

Arcane
I am surprised people didn't mention Dragon Age. You can make unlimited superior mana pots and sell it for a massive profit, which is pretty nice as it is one of the few RPG that actually has shit worth buying from vendors.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
You can run a tidy alchemy business in Darklands, with the right recipes everything you need for vast quantities of florins is at your fingertips!

Cael

Arcane
Well, there is also Storm Over Zehir, if you want to talk merchant questlines.

T. Reich

Arcane
Path of exile
spawning T. Reich to tell you about his experience as master salesman. You join codex guild only to see bragging messages of his latest great deals
What is your wealth T. Reich in ex?

Current league, or Standard included?
Raw currency, or all purchases (including current equipped gear across chars) taken in account? I'm not counting my stock for sale though, it's far too vast to bother.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Elona has a pretty detailed (though also fairly hands off) shop owner mechanic you can use, along with some light trading of goods between cities. You can also be a minstrel and get money either from street performances or by performing at parties. Also farming and ranching. And mining. Oh, and a thieves guild for stolen goods. And selling slaves. And being a whore.

Or you can ignore all that and just do normal dungeon crawling stuff.

deama

Prophet
Path of exile
spawning T. Reich to tell you about his experience as master salesman. You join codex guild only to see bragging messages of his latest great deals

Raw currency, or all purchases (including current equipped gear across chars) taken in account? I'm not counting my stock for sale though, it's far too vast to bother.
Raw, standard, without counting gear.

Perkel

Arcane
M&B Warband. You manage your own mercenary band which can later change into your own whole kingdom. If you are trading guy, instead of hunting peasants for profit you can just buy low and sell high different goods while behaving like fucking rat running from cats when you travel map loaded with goods hoping no one will rape you.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Do people really play a game like M&B, that is essentially a medieval combat simulator, and play that as a merchant?

Sounds a bit like people saying Daggerfall was awesome because you could roleplay a linguist.

T. Reich

Arcane
Path of exile

Raw, standard, without counting gear.

Approx 850 ex in raw currency, not counting frags and div cards.
I almost never trade in Standard, so it's basically what has accumulated from temp leagues, and it's not much really because I usually spend most of my league currency buying extravagant shit for Standard.

lukaszek really exaggerates my "master salesman" status. I can acquire wealth when needed, but I only do it when needed.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Do people really play a game like M&B, that is essentially a medieval combat simulator, and play that as a merchant?

Sounds a bit like people saying Daggerfall was awesome because you could roleplay a linguist.

I did when I played Prophecy of Pendor, the mod was so fucking hard and unbalanced I had to become a jew just to hire mercenaries who wouldn't die 5 seconds into a battle.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I guess Blackguards can be LARPed as a mercenary operation. Otherwise, it's a linear URPEEGEE.

Freeroaming RPG's really fit the bill, generally. Baldur's Gate 2 with its stronghold management and flood of items should be right up your alley. I think trading is a viable route in TES games even before Morrowind - well, at least you could buy a cart in Daggerfall to stash even more loot and shit was expensive to buy.

AntharioN is a relatively new RPG that allows you to focus on the money making side of things.

Wizardry 8 is really a resource management/ trading game on Expert difficulty. Apart from a few things like having one or two fast characters to get your shields up, it's all about abusing alchemy to make potentially infinite moneyz to trade for scrolls of protection, potions and resurrection powders.

The old Megatraveller games deserve special mention, I guess, since you can literally start off with an old geezer who has tons of money but ill health, and you can trade goods between a gazillion planets (including smuggling forbidden items through customs checks if you have a sneaky guy).

Jagged Alliance 2... isn't an RPG :yeah:

Beastro

Arcane
You ask for it!

Anything like running a mercenary operation

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Dunbarrow_Cove_(quest)

I've completely upgraded Dunbarrow Cove and hired on a full crew. Once a week, the pirates who follow me will provide me with my share of their plunder. In order to send them out, I must speak with one of them to send them on a mission. They will return to Dunbarrow Cove in one week with my share of the loot.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Mercantile

All shops in the world have 500 more gold for barter. This is in addition to the 500 gold you may have invested in a shop.

trading thing can work for me.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Commerce#Haggling

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom