Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rpgs with bad Reputation in Codex that you liked ? Poll

Did you liked Any games below ?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

vazha

Arcane
The poll doesn't mention them but Demonicon, Inquisitor and Of Orcs and Men are all games with mixed reputation that I enjoyed immensely.

DraQ

Arcane
Diablo 1 was far superior to Diablo 2 also in terms of gameplay.

True, D2 added a lot of cool shit in regards to item and character systems, but there is one big but:
D1 playthrough was non-deterministic - you had to make do with whatever drops fell out and whatever stuff appeared in the shops.
In D2, with its MMO-lite mechanics it was the matter of farming the bosses enough times for stuff essential to "muh build!" to drop.
D2 also gave you more power relative to monsters and allowed hacking your way through the crowds OR disengaging freely since you could also outrun most stuff, in D1 you had no such luxury.

Now, keep D1's atmosphere, persistence and power level, but add D2's items, character improvements and a mixture of skill systems from both (in D1 you also had to make do with whatever spellbooks dropped) and we're talking.

As for the poll, I enjoyed The Witcher 2, although mechanically there were things in it making you want to punch someone in the face (alchemy, QTEs, endless rolling) and the soundtrack wasn't nealry as good as in 1.
I also enjoy Skyrim - modded it can be great, unmodded it's still borderline fun, though I probably couldn't switch back.

I might enjoy Battlespire if I manage to get myself to play it.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
It would be too strong to say that I liked The Bard's Tale IV, given that it both deviated from the formula of the originals and was heavily casualized, but I played through to the end and it isn't half as bad as the reputation it's gained due to its disastrous state on release.

Heroes of Might & Magic IV might not have implemented its innovations as well as it could have, but it's a damned fun game and IMHO second to HoMM II for best in the series.

The Faery Tale Adventure is the first Open World RPG and therefore among the most influential RPGs ever made. Plus, it has a rideable giant turtle!

whvjXxJ.jpg

8oqZb7d.png

kA3m1cp.png

Sykar

Arcane

True, D2 added a lot of cool shit in regards to item and character systems, but there is one big but:
D1 playthrough was non-deterministic - you had to make do with whatever drops fell out and whatever stuff appeared in the shops.
In D2, with its MMO-lite mechanics it was the matter of farming the bosses enough times for stuff essential to "muh build!" to drop.
D2 also gave you more power relative to monsters and allowed hacking your way through the crowds OR disengaging freely since you could also outrun most stuff, in D1 you had no such luxury.

Now, keep D1's atmosphere, persistence and power level, but add D2's items, character improvements and a mixture of skill systems from both (in D1 you also had to make do with whatever spellbooks dropped) and we're talking.

As for the poll, I enjoyed The Witcher 2, although mechanically there were things in it making you want to punch someone in the face (alchemy, QTEs, endless rolling) and the soundtrack wasn't nealry as good as in 1.
I also enjoy Skyrim - modded it can be great, unmodded it's still borderline fun, though I probably couldn't switch back.

I might enjoy Battlespire if I manage to get myself to play it.

Complete and utter nonsense. Instead of farming bosses you were farming Wirt in D1, yeah that is SO much better, well you had the Warlord of Blood room which just like Wirt meant you opened the game, checked if his room was present and if not made a new game /yawn. Also in single player you had to make do with what you found as well in D2. Farming bosses is inefficient and only if the stuff you had no need for was tradeable with other players was it something worthwhile, otherwise you were just wasting time hoping you get something which had a 0.00x% chance to drop.

Game play wise D2 blows D1 out of the water, easily. From the much much higher amount of classes to skill trees to attributes which instead of just being a matter of bringing to the maximum was now a matter of proper distribution since there were no attribute boosting potions, and those two alone combined allowed for much higher diversity, just compare the dozens of Sorc builds to the one Sorcerer build which was just maxing all stats, maxing your spell books which were the same for the other two classes as well.
Running and stamina was something to look out especially in early levels for since having no stamina at the wrong time especially in early game could kill you. Also free movement instead of being fixed in 8 directions.

Finally D2 has a much better item diversity. Most of the best magical items in D1 were blues like King's Bastard Sword of Haste or Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac. Few uniques were really worth using like Dreamflange. D2 on the other hand had something for every quality level. While blues got for the most part phased out, runewords, sets, uniques and rares all had their place in part due to the absurd amount of builds and classes and even blues had a place since they for example sported the highest amount of up to +3 to a specific tree, uniques and rares could sport only +2 so in certain circumstances they were really good alternatives though mostly offensive.
The only thing I liked more about the uniques in D1 over D2 were that some of the powerful uniques had some interesting disadvantages like the Constricting Ring or Gotterdammerung which they discontinued in D2 sadly.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane

Complete and utter nonsense. Instead of farming bosses you were farming Wirt in D1, yeah that is SO much better, well you had the Warlord of Blood room which just like Wirt meant you opened the game, checked if his room was present and if not made a new game /yawn. Also in single player you had to make do with what you found as well in D2. Farming bosses is inefficient and only if the stuff you had no need for was tradeable with other players was it something worthwhile, otherwise you were just wasting time hoping you get something which had a 0.00x% chance to drop.
Way to completely miss the entire fucking point. All of it.

mondblut

Arcane
if dark souls and jagged alliance 2 are rpgs then any rpg/hybrid is.

Nice job bundling a game that ticks every single "what's an RPG" attribute (and does it better than the most) with a popamole slasher action game.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

I disliked both, really, both really repetitive and diablo 1 was ugly as hell.
But i had a lot of fun with throne of darkness and the divine series.
I guess the terrible itemization and the endless ugly dungeon stuff doesn't work that well with me.

DraQ

Arcane

I disliked both, really, both really repetitive and diablo 1 was ugly as hell.
Both D1 and especially D2 looked quite good (although at higher levels D2 can become an unintelligible clusterfuck of auras, curses and elemental effects).

D1 wasn't repetitive going start to finish with a new character because you had to keep your attention up in order not to die (mobs were relatively harder and you couldn't just waltz in then GTFO on afterburners if you could not take the heat) and you were starved for good drops so every blue drop was potentially interesting and every gold one a godsend, while in D2 everything puked rainbows on death - drops were much more interesting in D1.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Septerra Core is the shit. :positive:

If you don't commit suicide due to insane number of trash mobs, of course

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
9 votes for Ruins of Myth Drannor ? I expected to be the only one voting for it. I love it but it really is a bad game.

Unwanted

LAO

Unwanted

Nice job bundling a game that ticks every single "what's an RPG" attribute (and does it better than the most) with a popamole slasher action game.

so what ? Sports games,4x games,Roguelikes,MMos and life simulators games like The Sims does better role-playing than majority of so called RPGs.

You guys need really to stop this faggotry about what is a RPG,atleast when talking about video games whats defines a rpg is definitely not just role-playing.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane

so what ? Sports games,4x games,Roguelikes,MMos and life simulators games like The Sims does better role-playing than majority of so called RPGs.

You guys need really to stop this faggotry about what is a RPG,atleast when talking about video games whats defines a rpg is definitely not just role-playing.

Way to miss the point. Nobody here gives a fuck about larping crap, other than a few storyfag clowns.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Had a lot of fun playing Borderlands 2 with my brother from start to finish + all DLCs we had at that point. Lot of laughs both with the game and at the game and I'll hold on to those memories from a time before I had niece. Not that this is a bad thing, it's just that well...life moves on and we hold on to fond memories that may or may not include Borderlands 2. :greatjob:

Codex Year of the Donut
Had a lot of fun playing Borderlands 2 with my brother from start to finish + all DLCs we had at that point. Lot of laughs both with the game and at the game and I'll hold on to those memories from a time before I had niece. Not that this is a bad thing, it's just that well...life moves on and we hold on to fond memories that may or may not include Borderlands 2. :greatjob:
I had a lot of fun playing BL2 and the presequel. I actually liked the latter more than the first, it just had less content.
They're not in depth RPGs with amazing stories, but they're pretty fun shooters. Only game I've found that is close to them in shooty fun is warframe.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Kind of agreeing with mondblut a bit here. With a lot of games you list it might not be that they are bad games, rather that they are bad cRPGs, hence the bad reputation. If a dev promoted Mario as a cRPG then it'd get shat on as a crap cRPG, though, obviously, people will still enjoy playing it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom