Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rpgs with bad Reputation in Codex that you liked ? Poll

Did you liked Any games below ?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Unwanted

LAO

Unwanted
Skyrim. Skyrim is my favourite game of all time. I will defend Skyrim to the death. I never was particularly fond of Bethesda, Daggerfall and Morrowind were meh for me, Oblivion sucked huge black cock, and Fallout 3 was a nice game i enjoyed being a fallout fan(and that being the best i could get). Skyrim is not a game for autists and spreadsheet lovers. It is an actionrpg that cuts most convoluted systems and just lets you play whatever shit you want to play. I never enjoyed an RPG's combat so much. Sword and board is fucking boring but playing a stealth, mage, or hybrid character, is FUCKING FUN!

I must have played it more than 1500 hours at this point. I have only completed the main campaign once. Because i didn't want to. Because i didn't fucking care. I just spend all that time making various character builds and enjoying my creations. That is the most fun part of Skyrim and it is unrivalled in that regard. Most games use strict classes and convoluted systems and stifle creativity. In Skyrim i re-created almost all DnD classes. I role played like a boss. Made every single archetype imaginable. Every single niche imagineable. I haven't been bored in 7 freaking years... It is a game i expect to keep playing for at least a decade more.

So yeah, fuck the haters. Skyrim is one of the best RPGs ever. Better than the Witcher 3, which is a storyfag game. A masterpiece storyfag game, but still a storyfag game. You can only play storyfags game for so long. Skyrim is infinitely replayable.

Skyrim is the Citizen Kane of RPGs and still to this day a Unmatched Masterpiece.

PorkBarrellGuy

Skyrim. Skyrim is my favourite game of all time. I will defend Skyrim to the death. I never was particularly fond of Bethesda, Daggerfall and Morrowind were meh for me, Oblivion sucked huge black cock, and Fallout 3 was a nice game i enjoyed being a fallout fan(and that being the best i could get). Skyrim is not a game for autists and spreadsheet lovers. It is an actionrpg that cuts most convoluted systems and just lets you play whatever shit you want to play. I never enjoyed an RPG's combat so much. Sword and board is fucking boring but playing a stealth, mage, or hybrid character, is FUCKING FUN!

I must have played it more than 1500 hours at this point. I have only completed the main campaign once. Because i didn't want to. Because i didn't fucking care. I just spend all that time making various character builds and enjoying my creations. That is the most fun part of Skyrim and it is unrivalled in that regard. Most games use strict classes and convoluted systems and stifle creativity. In Skyrim i re-created almost all DnD classes. I role played like a boss. Made every single archetype imaginable. Every single niche imagineable. I haven't been bored in 7 freaking years... It is a game i expect to keep playing for at least a decade more.

So yeah, fuck the haters. Skyrim is one of the best RPGs ever. Better than the Witcher 3, which is a storyfag game. A masterpiece storyfag game, but still a storyfag game. You can only play storyfags game for so long. Skyrim is infinitely replayable.

Skyrim is the Citizen Kane of RPGs and still to this day a Unmatched Masterpiece.

The "Trigger Codex" thread is a few doors down, fags

Vulpes

Scholar
Where's Alpha Protocol? And why are NWN2 OC and Borderlands 2 on the list? They're pretty decent

Falksi

Arcane
Most of these games below absolutely nail a handful of elements well enough to make them worth playing despite the flaws:

Fallout 3 - Absolutely THRIVED on it first time through. My first Fallout game and the atmosphere sucked me in big time. More-so, the exploration element felt very natural, and whereas most OW games of that era would see you explore & end up exactly where you knew you was going to, FO3 evolved really well and I found myself being drawn on an adventuring path rather than doing things by the numbers. Second & subsequent playthroughs were shite & shallow, but as a once off it was a good 8/10 experience.

Fable 2 - Yeah a bit shit, boring as fuck combat, but it had enough charm to keep me playing & still enjoyed it enough to finish it. 6/10

KOA:R - SO much potential, loads of fun to be had, just absolutely LOADS of BS busywork to do at the same time. I'm now on my 3rd attempt to finish it &, through skipping loads of content (done the main quest, the main houses & the guilds) I'm around 2/3rds of the way there. It's really just 1/3rd a good game trapped beneath 2/3rd of filler dross. But what it does right it nails brilliantly. 6/10

Mass Effect 2 - Very "meh" all round, I still enjoyed it immensely on my 2nd playthrough simply because some of the characters & whole "form a gang" vibe is so strong. I found most of the cast interesting, and thought the renegade arc was great fun. Still deserves the panning it gets, but would still recomend folk play it 7/10

Pillars of Eternity - Good game let down by bugs & sloppy design choices. Another game where combat is fairly shit, yet you seem to spend far too long in combat. 6/10

Phantasy Star 3 - An absolute arduous slogfest, but one which had such an original & intruiging storyline + C&C setup that I played it through several times. I just really wanted to find out what happened with each gen, and felt really connected to the family lines. 5/10

Risen 2 - Flat out fucking brilliant RPG, with tons of mint elements which far outweigh the flaws. Yes it's buggy, yes sword combat & voodoo are pants, yes it's rough as fuck around the edges, but fuck me the plus points are massive. Awesomely atmospheric with some great music, simply some of THE best & most funniest dialogue in any RPG I've ever played, nice interesting islands to explore, a ton of interesting characters, significant C&C, hell even the run & gun gameplay is fun-ish. Has an absolute blast with this one. 9/10

Witcher 2 - My personal fave game ever. Pisses all over TW3 IMO. Dark mode has one of THE best balances between action & RPG elements I've known in a game. The C&C is nothing short of stunning (the second chapter perticularly), and the replayability of the game to see the story from all angles with all choices is supreme. Once the first chapter gets going the pacing is absolutely bang on, and the vibe of the game is a far better gritty-fantasy mix than TW3's bland affair. In TW2 I actually felt like a witcher having to do tasks such as slay the Kayran & form a potion beforehand etc. 10/10

Last edited:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Just some thoughts - played a lot of games on the list, so will just pick a few:

Dungeon Lords
- wish it was stable/completable. Enjoyed it for some reason but had too many problems for me to finish. Played a female char because of Dat Ass! and it delivered in that area. Think my char wore leather armor even after finding better items. Couldn't finish due to bugs, tho.
Gothinc 3 - finished it, thought it was intersting, but it took forever, dragged, missed those little coins to teleport making traveling horrible. Impossible to fight wolves untl you had a speark. No idea why i finsihed it, but I did.
Two worlds 2 - I won't lie, played it because it was $2 on GoG. Finished it, but was kind of meh. Some good stuff, but I'd never replay it.
Ultima 9 Ascension - Eh, for some reason I am ok with this game. It's still a buggy mess, and the conversations are horrific, but just running around exploring is still a peaceful way to spend some time.
Borderlands - what, it was fun. I like shooting things in the head with a sniper rifle. Not a guilty pleasure, I enjoyed this. I still do.

Falksi

Arcane
Two worlds 2 - I won't lie, played it because it was $2 on GoG. Finished it, but was kind of meh. Some good stuff, but I'd never replay it.

As shoddy as it was, the spell system & overall vibe did make it fun. One of those bad B-movie games which I can't help have a bit of fondness for.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Sword Coast Legends really should be on the list (it certainly belongs there more than any of the random JRPGs on it).

811mxb-lqHL.jpg

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gothic 3 is really worth it nowadays with years of modding. It surely turned into a Gothic experience and certainly is good to anybody who is looking for another Gothic fix. The only thing modders can't and won't ever fix is the broken melee combat, which kinda forces you to go mage/archer if you're not into stunlocking and the interconnected clusterfuck that is combat against multiple enemies. Its a pretty enjoyable experience otherwise.

Sòren

Arcane
i don't think i've heard anyone here talking about Grandia ever...it's probably one of my most favourite jrpgs out there. didn't finish part 2, but it was probably not as bad as most other titles on that list.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:whatho:
What a shitty list,half the games are not even RPGs the other half are ok rpgs that the codex either like or don't care about.

Stefmob

Novice
Where's Alpha Protocol? And why are NWN2 OC and Borderlands 2 on the list? They're pretty decent
They are in the codex top 75, except of borderlands. I will throw in a game people hated and I kind of enjoyed: Oblivion, fable 1

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONE A2003 met Tapatalk

Brancaleone

Prophet
VtM:R had quite a enticing atmosphere, at least in the first half. The second half felt a chore, and with the clunky combat made the game almost unbearable.
HoMM5 was quite good mechanically, pity about art direction and style feeling completely out of place.
Can't get over how they screwed Lionhart: Legacy of the Crusader by wasting time and resources trying to ape Diablo 2's combat and loot instead of just doing a straight turn-based S.P.E.C.I.A.L., and then trying to make up for the time lost by mailing in basically all of the post-Barcelona stuff.
Wanted to vote also Titan Quest, but wasn't in the poll.

Cael

Arcane
Wanted to vote also Titan Quest, but wasn't in the poll.
The elitist oldfags in the Codex didn't like Titan Quest? What was their excuse? Too much "real world mythology"?
left click simulators are boring
Ah. They must have hated Diablo and Diablo 2 also, then. Too social friendly for their liking. Games must only be played by anti-social basement dwellers with rigs the size of Manhattan.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom