Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

RTwP is the Same as TB the Only Difference Being You Pick The T

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by RaptorRex888, Jun 15, 2019.

1. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Welcome back Lilura~

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    ^ Top  
  2. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    The same line was used by your mum when she compared you to your bro.

"Tyron at least doesn't look like shit!" said she while gazing in to the emptiness behind your left ear,after you had disappointed her......yet again.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Lutte Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Lutte
    It is? then how do you play RTWP chess ? if turn based systems are nothing more than RTWP with pauses surely any system could translate to RTWP. I await your virtual RTWP chess game. Retard.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    TB is more tactical while RTWP is more strategical. I do like both types of combat,but do get annoyed at all the TB fanatics that want to make everything in it because they are too old to keep up with other types that need frequent impute. Don't know why TB fanatics are so butthurt.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    Neither Turn-Based or RTwP are authentic, AD&D is phase based.

• Balanced Balanced x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. HeatEXTEND Liturgist

HeatEXTEND
    eh........... http://rtchess.deapthoughts.com/

gr8 b8 m8, i r8 8/8.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    • Old Old x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. BING XI LAO Savant

BING XI LAO
    Name an RPG where every attack instakills and maybe chess will be relevant to the discussion of TB and RTWP RPGs. I await this, retard.

When you have attacks that roll to hit and then roll to deal damage that's often what, 10% of max HP, it doesn't matter who hits first, and there's no benefit whatsoever to having everything be slowed down by sequential turnbased moves.

If chess had attacks that do quite low damage per hit, instead of every attack instakilling, then that game would be vastly improved by moving to RTWP. Of course that would be a very different game, chess is fine with its current 1-hit-kill mechanics.

• WTF am I reading x 3
    • butthurt x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    It is not a problem, it's a good solution to break down flow of combat into easier chunks.

Decimals are fucking terrible when mixed with many abilities, see PoE 0.03 seconds buffs. And player reflexes shouldn't be key factor here, unless it's pure RTS, it's the difference between sequential turns and simultaneous turns which is important.

RTwP allows for simulatenous actions for both sides, where if enemy goes for your wizard you can react by interrupting your spell and casting hold person on him while breaking out one of your melees to intercept him. It is more tactical.

In TB after you moved your figure you can't take move back. You must predict all enemy moves and approaches or they kill all your x-com-men moment you hit End Turn button. It is more strategic.

Both are good.

P.S. The best part of ToEE is its faithful implementation of TB combat. But not actual game itself or its encounters.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. BING XI LAO Savant

BING XI LAO
    To take just one example of TB being clunky and shit: I have 6 movement points. I use 1 point to step in front of a corridor that branches off to one side, 4 to shoot the Super Mutant that is down that corridor, and the last point to step back out of range. He has no chance to retaliate because of the amazing tactical depth of TB games.

• retadred x 8
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Fairfax Arcane

Fairfax
    The discrete phases for declaration and resolution make it phase-based. The basic concept is similar to AD&D, for example, it's just extremely simplified in DQ. DQ11 is strictly turn-based, since there's a turn order and each character's turn executes their actions. Most call both "turn-based" because they don't care/never thought about the distinction, and RPG terminology has always been lacking and inconsistent.

^ Top  
  11. Strange Fellow Magister Patron

Strange Fellow
    Hence why any half decent TB game with guns has reaction fire.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • :M :M x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. BING XI LAO Savant

BING XI LAO
    When your system is fundamentally bad so you have to add on even more contrived, arbitrary mechanics ontop.

• retadred x 5
    • butthurt x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Kitty x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Mr. Magniloquent Learned

Mr. Magniloquent
    Turn-based games abstracts time. RTwP does not. Create an action point system which functions through time usage, and it's all basically the same damn thing. For example, if every Action Point in Divinity:Original Sin were to represent half a second, the game would play in real-time just fine. The only significant design change would be to decide what interval to have AP regenerate. Pillars of Eternity attempted to do something like this, but they failed by not seeing the forest through the trees. I blame Sawyer's autistic focus on minutiae.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Saduj Arcane

Saduj
    What do you mean no chance? He gets a turn.

• Agree x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Kit Walker Totally Not Captain Shrek

Kit Walker
    BING XI LAO

You are right as far as other rulesets are concerned. Good catch. Now check the link in my signature.

^ Top  
  16. Squadcar Learned

Squadcar
    RTwP is more annoying than it is outright bad. Turn based is king.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. BING XI LAO Savant

BING XI LAO
    The situation is when you're at the end of a corridor, so you can take one step to have vision down the corridor, and one step to be out of vision of the corridor. You get to spend your turns shooting down the corridor, enemy gets to spend his turns moving down the corridor.

• sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Saduj Arcane

Saduj
    But it isn’t an infinite amount of turns. The number of turns to it takes him to get down the hall is based on how much AP he has, aka how fast he is. This isn’t a problem.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Zer0wing Arbiter

Zer0wing
    If only everything was so simple. I personally just don't trust modern developers on RTwP. It's almost impossible to make it good and worth the risk even at the right hands. No, Obsidian is jsawyering themselves from this leauge. The only game trilogy that nailed it in both tactical and strategic sense was Brigade E5/7.62/Maradeur. The first RT game I've found starting to be enjoyable is Fallout: Tactics. [​IMG] And you don't even need pausing in that game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. BING XI LAO Savant

BING XI LAO
    The problem is that despite the guy at the corridor end repeatedly exposing himself to fire down it, the guy in the corridor can't fire back because it's not his turn when that happens.

Sure, it's not a problem that completely breaks the game, it's just an example of TB being a bad simulation, lacking tactical depth, and being clunky and generally bad.

• retadred retadred x 6
    ^ Top  
  21. Saduj Arcane

Saduj

Depending on the game they can use their AP for overwatch instead of running down the hall.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Squadcar Learned

Squadcar
    Aren't ya listenin'? They already said,
    about that!
    :argh::argh::argh:

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Saduj Arcane

Saduj
    Well I don’t know how you argue that overwatch is contrived and arbitrary while also making an argument that shows why it is a good mechanic.

I don’t play RTWP games very often but I would bet that in most it is possible to kite around corners anyway. Maybe even more so if the monster being kited wastes time trying too late to return fire.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. what am i doing Learned

what am i doing
    If you want that sort of thing there's no reason to have rounds, though. Just go fully real-time. Guild Wars 1's gameplay worked like that and it was extremely good - by contrast round-based RTwP has never worked out well.

^ Top  
  25. BING XI LAO Savant

BING XI LAO
    Overwatch is not a good mechanic, it's a bandaid that raises more questions, such as whether using it requires pre-planning, pre-assigned action points, or is free, etc. The answers to those questions are all ultimately arbitrary. In RTWP there is no problem and there is no tacked-on solution whose special mechanics need to be learned either.

In RTWP: oh that guy is peeking out at the end of the corridor, I can shoot at him when he does so

In Turnbased: that guy is peeking out at the end of the corridor, but I can never shoot at him because it's his turn. Unless there is a specific mechanic that I have to engage, let me open the manual.... ''Overwatch'' section.... wow, all this overbaked and unecessary additions soothe my autism, therefore Turnbased is more ''tactical''

In RTWP, if you want to take an action, you can do so. In Turnbased it has to be wrangled through whose turn it is, 'overwatch' and who knows what else. Turnbased is simply inferior.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)