Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTwP is the Same as TB the Only Difference Being You Pick The T

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
It doesn't have to be "necessary" you imbecilic braindead cretin.
It's a way of doing things which some prefer.
People only prefer it because they've developed Stockholm Syndrome for the limitations of TB.
You're just using the same low-IQ argument every other retard uses, that if it "looks more realistic" then it's better.
I have never criticised TB for being unrealistic or praised RTWP for being more realistic. If you often invent inaccurate positions for people you're disagreeing with, you're either low IQ or worse, a humanities tard. Having more individually modelled units would be better because it allows to represent a wider range of situations in greater detail, duh. Not necessarily for the sake of realism but also for immersion and diversity of tactical situations.

Yeah, I'm sure HOMM would a so much better game if you could control 1000 dragons in real time. And it would be the same game too, only better!
Having 1000 units on one tile is one of the most idiotic parts of HOMM and one of the many reasons it's not as good as Age of Wonders. Current HoMM gameplay is massively based on who gets to strike first with Tactics, Mass Haste, Mass Slow, etc, and has some dumb stuff like sending 1 halberdier to attack first so your attack with a valuable stack doesn't get retaliated against. I don't see what's so great about HoMM3 combat.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
People only prefer it because they've developed Stockholm Syndrome for the limitations of TB.

No, retard, it does things differently. Some things can't be done in RT, some things can't be done in TB.

and diversity of tactical situations.

Retarded shit. Controlling in real time is first and foremost a matter of speed and reflexes. Even more so if we're talking about big number of units. There's a reason why skill in RTS games is measured in Actions Per Minute and not in "tactical" thinking.
There's also a reason why you don't really see huge number of units in real time games. It's a pain to control them and most of the "tactical situations" are solved with "select all and attack".

Retarded shit. Controlling in real time is first and foremost a matter of speed and reflexes. Even more so if we're talking about big number of units. There's a reason why skill in RTS games is measured in Actions Per Minute and not in "tactical" thinking.
There's also a reason why you don't really see huge number of units in real time games. It's a pain to control them and most of the "tactical situations" are solved with "select all and attack".
Gee if only someone could add in a pause function and call it RTWP.

I don't really see what RTS has to do with a dicussion of RTWP, maybe you have Alzheimers, but lol no - that's not what combat in RTS games comes down to, you're just bad. Gotta love TB-tards projecting their own incompetence onto an entire genre.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The reason TB and P&P don't feature large combats is simply because they can't.

Except they do and some P&P systems even contain special rules for mass combat to make it easier to handle. And in an encounter between your 5 players and a horde of 20 enemies the DM can easily do the same thing ToEE does and move enemies simultaneously. That's what the DM who runs my 3.5 campaign does when she pits us against lots of enemies. We had a group of 2 strong werewolves attack us, aided by about a dozen normal wolves. Turns didn't take long to execute at all. She even did things like "okay, the wolves all share the same initiative so I can move them together to cut down on turn time". Fast. Simple. Doesn't even require a big workaround.

People who say "This doesn't work in this type of system!" just lack the creativity to come up with solutions that make it work. It's not even that hard.

Except they do and some P&P systems even contain special rules for mass combat to make it easier to handle. And in an encounter between your 5 players and a horde of 20 enemies the DM can easily do the same thing ToEE does and move enemies simultaneously. That's what the DM who runs my 3.5 campaign does when she pits us against lots of enemies. We had a group of 2 strong werewolves attack us, aided by about a dozen normal wolves. Turns didn't take long to execute at all. She even did things like "okay, the wolves all share the same initiative so I can move them together to cut down on turn time". Fast. Simple. Doesn't even require a big workaround.

People who say "This doesn't work in this type of system!" just lack the creativity to come up with solutions that make it work. It's not even that hard.
Wow, an entire dozen. Says it all really.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

Wow, an entire dozen. Says it all really.

You can do literally the same fucking thing with 30 or more you fucking retard did you even read the method I described, it's only limited by the amount of dice or coins or figurines or whatever you use to represent enemy units on the board that you have. It was only a dozen because raising the number to 20 or 30 for arbitrary reason doesn't make for good encounter design, neither in turn based nor in real time. It was a challenging encounter that even knocked one of our chars unconscious, so the number was just right.

Good encounters aren't about defeating a very high number of trash units but about a decent balance of strong and trash units that give your characters some trouble to overcome but aren't overwhelming.

I mean yeah you could also spam 100 enemy units at the player and there are definitely ways to make that work in TB without it taking ages to resolve enemy turns, but would that be more fun than fighting a balanced mid-sized group of enemies?
No. It wouldn't.

You can do literally the same fucking thing with 30 or more you fucking retard did you even read the method I described, it's only limited by the amount of dice or coins or figurines or whatever you use to represent enemy units on the board that you have. It was only a dozen because raising the number to 20 or 30 for arbitrary reason doesn't make for good encounter design, neither in turn based nor in real time. It was a challenging encounter that even knocked one of our chars unconscious, so the number was just right.

Good encounters aren't about defeating a very high number of trash units but about a decent balance of strong and trash units that give your characters some trouble to overcome but aren't overwhelming.

I mean yeah you could also spam 100 enemy units at the player and there are definitely ways to make that work in TB without it taking ages to resolve enemy turns, but would that be more fun than fighting a balanced mid-sized group of enemies?
No. It wouldn't.
Even with them all given the same initiative, adding more would still be more work - more HP pools to record, more attacks to roll, etc.
Raising numbers of enemies doesn't make an encounter good, but neither does limiting them. There are situations where large numbers of enemies are entirely appropriate, and sure, it's understandable that P&P can't handle that, but there's no reason computer games can't. Maybe there are ways to make large groups of enemies work okay in TB, but there's also RTWP which handles then perfectly without needing to start fudging rules because there's (gasp) an ENTIRE 14 enemies. And trying to imply that huge encounters are automatically bad is just TB-tard Stockholm Syndrome.

I'm going to start making a list of TB-tard arguments:
"TB can't cope with large combats, therefore large combats suck anyway. All combats should be mid or small in size because it doesn't matter if you give up on modelling necromancers summoning undead hordes, demon-portals, or getting into a fight with an entire enemy fortress when you're discovered trying to sneak around."
"It's fine for TB games to be incapable of large combats because P&P is too, and videogames should of course obey technical limitations that no longer exist."
"I can't play RTS to save my life, it can't be because I'm bad, it's because I don't have 400 APM which is all those games are about anyway."
"RTWP is a clusterfuck because I'm too slow-witted to comphrehend what's going on in a game that has a dozen autopause options and which I can pause at any time."

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I don't really see what RTS has to do with a dicussion of RTWP

Because you're talking about the advantages of real time and big number of units, which is pretty much an RTS thing.

But fine, do tell me the amazing tactical situations in any existing RTwP game (or you can even make one up in your head if you want) that can't be replicated in TB. OK, so... "many units is better". Anything else?
Because the most famous tactical situations in BG for example, the mage duels, don't have anything to do with the game being RTwP. In fact, they'd be even better if it was TB.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
it's because I don't have 400 APM which is all those games are about anyway.

Actually yes, that's what those games are about. I don't see why you want to make it about something else, like this would be shameful or something. It's a respectable skill to have and it's a different kind of gameplay.
I don't see why everything should be like this, though.

Or why everything should be RTwP, just because some fucking retard can't feel the immershun otherwise.

I don't really see what RTS has to do with a dicussion of RTWP

Because you're talking about the advantages of real time and big number of units, which is pretty much an RTS thing.

But fine, do tell me the amazing tactical situations in any existing RTwP game (or you can even make on up in your head if you want) that can't be replicated in TB. OK, so... "many units is better". Anything else?
Because the most famous tactical situations in BG for example, the mage duels, don't have anything to do with the game being RTwP. In fact, they'd be even better if it was TB.
Pretty much an RTS thing? Didn't you see me post those Avernum screenshots? Is spamming rod of summoning to not get splatted by Sarevok = RTS now?

I'm saying that if a game can cope with large combats then it is automatically better than a game that can't. I'm not saying "many units is better", I'm saying the option should be there, both as a matter of player choice and because there are situations where it makes sense for there to lots of enemies and not having them is just strange and not great for immersion.

Here's an ''amazing tactical situation'' you can do in RTWP; moving your party down a narrow corridor. God help you if you're in a TB game and the guy in front has the last place in the turn order and you have to start fucking around with wait orders. Even moving down a corridor can become a clunky chore in TB, because it's fundamentally bad.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Can't even move down a corridor-> says people who prefer TB are dumb for not being able to play RTwP.

Pretty much an RTS thing? Didn't you see me post those Avernum screenshots?

Avernum is a TB game, cretin. What is your point?

Great examples: a TB game and spamming a thousand summons. I bet you felt so tactical with all those summons just doing their thing on their own.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Also, RTwP and moving down corridors:

x_5201.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Can't even move down a corridor-> says people who prefer TB are dumb for not being able to play RTwP.

Pretty much an RTS thing? Didn't you see me post those Avernum screenshots?

Avernum is a TB game, cretin. What is your point?

Great examples: a TB game and spamming a thousand summons. I bet you felt so tactical with all those summons just doing their thing on their own.
Of course I CAN move down the corridor, it's just tiresome and slow, like so many things in TB. Moving down a corridor should be very simple.
My point is that Avernum is a TB game, not an RTS, you troglodyte.
Spamming summons was a nice change of pace. I'm glad the option is there and the game allowed me to suddenly switch into a radically different approach to fights. What I didn't like is TB making me wait while it displayed 30 units taking their actions sequentially.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
it's understandable that P&P can't handle that, but there's no reason computer games can't. Maybe there are ways to make large groups of enemies work okay in TB, but there's also RTWP which handles then perfectly without needing to start fudging rules because there's (gasp) an ENTIRE 14 enemies.

I mean I just described ways of making it work in P&P and turn based but sure keep claiming it can't be done. It doesn't even need much fucking around, just simple and logical abbreviations of displaying the enemy actions.

Saduj

Arcane
Isn’t the mass battle thing a red herring with regards to RPGs? Does there exist a RTWP RPG that involves mass battles that the player micro manages?

I can’t imagine it not being a clusterfuck.

it's understandable that P&P can't handle that, but there's no reason computer games can't. Maybe there are ways to make large groups of enemies work okay in TB, but there's also RTWP which handles then perfectly without needing to start fudging rules because there's (gasp) an ENTIRE 14 enemies.

I mean I just described ways of making it work in P&P and turn based but sure keep claiming it can't be done. It doesn't even need much fucking around, just simple and logical abbreviations of displaying the enemy actions.
Keep pretending it isn't a massive pain in the ass which is why no-one does it.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
RTWP which handles then perfectly without needing to start fudging rules because there's (gasp) an ENTIRE 14 enemies.
Sounds like there are a lot of turn-based CRPGs you haven't played. I already mentioned the Temple of Baa, which is an extreme example in a game filled to the brim with trashmobs, but is nonetheless fun and not too slow to resolve at all. Then you have Gold Box, which can handle two dozen+ enemies no problem, although it does get tiresome if these fights occur in quick succession because surprise surprise, encounter design consisting of endless hordes of trashmobs isn't entertaining in any system.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I'm going to start making a list of TB-tard arguments:

Ok let's go

"TB can't cope with large combats, therefore large combats suck anyway. All combats should be mid or small in size because it doesn't matter if you give up on modelling necromancers summoning undead hordes, demon-portals, or getting into a fight with an entire enemy fortress when you're discovered trying to sneak around."

Except it can, and when appropriate large battles can be cool. All I said is "trash mob encounters for the sake of trash mob encounters are shit" because you went all "oooh a whole dozen wow so very much" at the example I brought of an actual encounter my DM provided in one of her sessions. Well duh, this was the perfect number of enemies for that particular encounter. I just used it to illustrate that certain simple and effective methods exist to make combat with many units in TB quick and not a drag. Yes, combat with more units can also be done well in TB. Up to 100 units even. Just play a good turn-based strategy game as an example. These exist. Try Battle Isle, maybe, those tend to have huge unit numbers. Thing is, these kinds of mass encounters have to be done well or they'll end up as a slog rather than fun, regardless of whether your game is RT or TB.

In an RPG, you play as a group of adventurers or a single adventurer. Party size is usually between 1 and 6, sometimes up to 8. If you have your 8 characters face off against 100 enemies, you need to design the enemies in such a way that they become threatening without being overwhelming, which is tough to design when it comes to such huge numbers. It's simply a question of practicality. If you make the individual units too weak, it will be a slog where you slay one enemy after the other while they chip away at your hitpoints. If you make the individual units too strong, it will be an unbeatable encounter. Although it would be legitimate to have a scenario where the player has to escape from an overwhelming horde before his characters die, sure. That could be cool.

Thing is, in RPGs the player controls between 1 and 8 characters, and you're supposed to keep your entire party alive throughout all the encounters. In strategy games, both TB and RT, you're supposed to lose some of your own units, too. When you send 100 guys vs the enemy's 100 guys the balance is very different to your 8 guys facing off against 100 enemy guys.

Then, of course, there is the issue of control. You say "moving groups of enemy units as if they were single units" is a workaround. It's not a workaround, it's a sensible decision for controlling larger amounts of units without it becoming a clusterfuck. It is also a thing in real time games.
Look at Total War and how you control formations of soldiers, rather than every single soldier separately. In Age of Empires 2, you can group units with hotkeys to more easily control them, and you can control up to 40 units at a time. In Cossacks, an RTS with very huge numbers of soldiers on the field, you can form your soldiers into formations to more easily control them. Grouping units like that isn't a workaround, it's a necessity when unit numbers reach a certain size, in both RT and TB. It's just a matter of practicality. Compare something like Age of Empires, where units only have simple ranged or melee attacks and micromanaging them is all about maneuvering them and focusing on targets, to Warcraft 3 where every unit has special abilities and you micromanage most of your units individually. Warcraft 3 has a much smaller population cap compared to Age of Empires 2, because it's more focused on the microing of single units, while AoE is more focused on the macro of building larger armies and performing tactical maneuvers with larger bodies of units.

RPGs are all about micromanaging a small group of units where each individual unit has a range of special abilities to choose from. The very concept is made for low to mid size battles, rather than huge 1000+ unit battles. It doesn't mean that large battles aren't possible, it just means they are for the most part impractical and should be the exception in most RPGs, regardless of whether they're TB or RT. It has nothing to do with RT vs TB, it's just a pure issue of scale.

"It's fine for TB games to be incapable of large combats because P&P is too, and videogames should of course obey technical limitations that no longer exist."

Again, nobody said TB is incapable of large combats. I can point you to several TB strategies again. Panzer General. Fantasy General. Steel Panthers. Heck, there are even tabletop wargames with hundreds of units on the field.
Did you ever hear about a thing called Warhammer? I heard it's pretty popular.
Kings%2Bof%2BWar%2BMantic%2BGames%2BWarhammer%2BAlternative.jpg

Or maybe one of those many historical tabletop wargames that exist.
Whoa look at those unit sizes shit must be unmanageable:
20130323114653_3.jpg

How do people play this it must be impossible?????
f098c827784d4ee2655246e82cdea677_original.jpg

"I can't play RTS to save my life, it can't be because I'm bad, it's because I don't have 400 APM which is all those games are about anyway."

I have over 500 hours on Age of Empires 2 in Steam and my ELO is in the mid-1700s, which means I'm a halfway competent player. Your argument is invalid.

"RTWP is a clusterfuck because I'm too slow-witted to comphrehend what's going on in a game that has a dozen autopause options and which I can pause at any time."

RTwP is a clusterfuck because it marries turn based concepts (rounds) into real time gameplay, which creates a horrible abomination that doesn't play very well. Instead they should just go with a proper real time system that doesn't measure actions in """rounds""" and add a pause function. You know, like the Total War games do, except on a smaller scale.

I don't hate real time I just hate RTwP the way it's usually done.

Codex Year of the Donut
the idea that TB is inherently slow is false, the problem stems from overly long animations and time spent showing things that don't matter(e.g., unit running from point A to B)
it's why one of the most popular xcom mods is a mod that shortens & removes animations.

Except it can, and when appropriate large battles can be cool. All I said is "trash mob encounters for the sake of trash mob encounters are shit" because you went all "oooh a whole dozen wow so very much" at the example I brought of an actual encounter my DM provided in one of her sessions. Well duh, this was the perfect number of enemies for that particular encounter. I just used it to illustrate that certain simple and effective methods exist to make combat with many units in TB quick and not a drag.
What you illustrated is that at 14 enemies the GM was already fudging the rules to make it less of a pain in the arse. Sure, it's a sensible workaround that like you say isn't really any different from group selection in an RTS. But even the fact that 14 is considered large and led to a fudge for it is hardly an argument that P&P isn't badly suited to doing large encounters.

In an RPG, you play as a group of adventurers or a single adventurer. Party size is usually between 1 and 6, sometimes up to 8.

....RPGs are all about micromanaging a small group of units where each individual unit has a range of special abilities to choose from. The very concept is made for low to mid size battles, rather than huge 1000+ unit battles. It doesn't mean that large battles aren't possible, it just means they are for the most part impractical and should be the exception in most RPGs, regardless of whether they're TB or RT. It has nothing to do with RT vs TB, it's just a pure issue of scale.
And if there's an endgame fight that happens in a palace with numerous troops on both sides? If your party has summoning spells? If the enemy has summoning spells? Just because these situations are rare doesn't mean there is no gain from RTWP being able to handle them at the same pace it handles everything, while TB gets bogged down. How does it have nothing to do with RT vs TB when RT handles it automatically at the same pace it handles anything, while with TB it's conditional on the game being designed with that large a fight in mind?

Again, nobody said TB is incapable of large combats. I can point you to several TB strategies again. Panzer General. Fantasy General. Steel Panthers. Heck, there are even tabletop wargames with hundreds of units on the field.
Did you ever hear about a thing called Warhammer? I heard it's pretty popular.
Kings%2Bof%2BWar%2BMantic%2BGames%2BWarhammer%2BAlternative.jpg

Or maybe one of those many historical tabletop wargames that exist.
Whoa look at those unit sizes shit must be unmanageable:
20130323114653_3.jpg

How do people play this it must be impossible?????
f098c827784d4ee2655246e82cdea677_original.jpg
I haven't played Panzer General etc, but those tabletop games.... Imagine paying out of the ass and putting in all the effort of learning the rulebook and setting things out properly, just to have an inferior experience to what any good RTS can provide in a tenth the time.
From what I've seen - yes, those games are shit and unmanageable and I would never play them. As far as I can tell people play them because they have serious mental issues.

I have over 500 hours on Age of Empires 2 in Steam and my ELO is in the mid-1700s, which means I'm a halfway competent player. Your argument is invalid.
Steam AoE2 is the most casual community for aoe2, and the default ELO for a new account is 1600. It's been a while since I played but IIRC you gain 30 points for a 1v1 victory. mid-1700s means you can keep your TC constantly running and you know what the unit counters are, and you can eventually boom given enough time. Halfway competent is pushing it, but in any case, you weren't the one trashtalking RTS games.

RTwP is a clusterfuck because it marries turn based concepts (rounds) into real time gameplay, which creates a horrible abomination that doesn't play very well. Instead they should just go with a proper real time system that doesn't measure actions in """rounds""" and add a pause function. You know, like the Total War games do, except on a smaller scale.
I've never noticed rounds when playing, say, the IE games. What does this mean?

I don't hate real time I just hate RTwP the way it's usually done.
I don't hate TB, I am having a blast in Avernum which has huge amounts of filler combat with summon spam (and, mercifully, quick animations). I just don't grasp what TB has to offer RTWP, and there are some cases where TB as it's usually done in RPGs - I'm sure Panzer General etc have a better system - is extremely slow and frustrating.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Of course I CAN move down the corridor, it's just tiresome and slow,

Similarly, I can play RTwP games, in fact I can pretty much guarantee by how clueless you are in general that I play them better.
However, I just think they're a mess and would be better in TB. But hey, I guess you're right because hurr

just to have an inferior experience to what any good RTS can provide in a tenth the time.

Yep, exactly, because... hurrr

Can't possibly be a different experience. It's just worse because... hurr

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
In an RPG, you play as a group of adventurers or a single adventurer. Party size is usually between 1 and 6, sometimes up to 8.

....RPGs are all about micromanaging a small group of units where each individual unit has a range of special abilities to choose from. The very concept is made for low to mid size battles, rather than huge 1000+ unit battles. It doesn't mean that large battles aren't possible, it just means they are for the most part impractical and should be the exception in most RPGs, regardless of whether they're TB or RT. It has nothing to do with RT vs TB, it's just a pure issue of scale.
And if there's an endgame fight that happens in a palace with numerous troops on both sides? If your party has summoning spells? If the enemy has summoning spells? Just because these situations are rare doesn't mean there is no gain from RTWP being able to handle them at the same pace it handles everything, while TB gets bogged down. How does it have nothing to do with RT vs TB when RT handles it way better?

Does it get bogged down though? Oftentimes you don't control summoned units, in which case you could apply the same "display movements and attacks simulataneously if a group of allied units has initiative right next to each other" principle ToEE uses to speed up its combat. If you do control them yourself, you can either do direct control for every action which, yes, in the case of a hundred summons might get a bit tedious. Unless you add simple hotkeys like Steel Panthers does, where just clicking F makes your selected unit fire at its last selected target. Or you can give automated orders for summoned units like "attack this enemy until he's dead", which removes the need of clicking attack for that unit every single turn. These are simple interface workarounds that remove the tedium from managing a large amount of units and can make the experience almost as fast as a real time game.

Though I do grant you that battles of a larger scale benefit from RT's ability to queue-select groups of units and command them very easily and conveniently.

I've never noticed rounds when playing, say, the IE games. What does this mean?

It is in the IE games but they don't suffer from it as much as, say, NWN does, or Dragon Age to a lesser extent. Really, the worst offender is NWN because of how tediously it slows everything down.
It means that the game counts "rounds" in which actions occur. Say one round is 5 seconds. That means if your character has 1 action per round, as is usual in D&D, you'd attack once every 5 seconds. There is no variation in weapon speeds etc because every action takes 1 round. This kinda defeats the idea of real time systems where you're not bound by artificial representations of time like rounds. You can just do a proper real time game like 7.62 High Calibre, with a pause function. But a lot of RTwP games are in the tradition of the IE games/Bioware games in general, so they emulate that whole "round" concept.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom