Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rules of the Codex - Enhanced Edition (2012)

20 Eyes

Liturgist
How about the Codex stays the one site about RPGs where you can speak your mind and not get banned? If you can't ignore the occasional idiot, stay on the PG-13 side of the internet where you belong. If you let the deranged rantings of an autistic man posting from an Eastern European basement get under your skin, this is the wrong place for you.

"Oh joy, a dev is posting! Everyone stop saying swear words and mind your manners!" Doesn't seem very Codexian to me...

Yeah like it was so fucking great before with every second post a troll post or shitty one liner. Man, those 400 Andhaira, Bryce and Liberal alts were fucking great, weren't they? Why did big bad DU ban them all when they were just speaking their mind???

What does that have to do with anything? The issue at hand is:

Could posters that abuse the few semi-serious devs that come on here(obviously not Subbassman or Dogma7) get bans or some such?

This isn't about being a spamming 10,000 post menace like Andhaira. It's about banning people for being dicks. Point is, it's lame to ban somebody for 'being mean'. If that is the atmosphere you want, open up official forums and ban anyone that isn't a cheerleader. Or go to one of the hundreds of gaming sites with a PG-13 atmosphere.

Phelot

Arcane
They speak to us through the odd ball interview, about as good as any other site. I mean, where else other than Bioware Social is Gaider going to talk on the forums? I don't see them around RPG Watch shootin the shit.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
How about the Codex stays the one site about RPGs where you can speak your mind and not get banned? If you can't ignore the occasional idiot, stay on the PG-13 side of the internet where you belong. If you let the deranged rantings of an autistic man posting from an Eastern European basement get under your skin, this is the wrong place for you.

"Oh joy, a dev is posting! Everyone stop saying swear words and mind your manners!" Doesn't seem very Codexian to me...

Yeah like it was so fucking great before with every second post a troll post or shitty one liner. Man, those 400 Andhaira, Bryce and Liberal alts were fucking great, weren't they? Why did big bad DU ban them all when they were just speaking their mind???

Could posters that abuse the few semi-serious devs that come on here(obviously not Subbassman or Dogma7) get bans or some such?

This isn't about being a spamming 10,000 post menace like Andhaira. It's about banning people for being dicks. Point is, it's lame to ban somebody for 'being mean'. If that is the atmosphere you want, open up official forums and ban anyone that isn't a cheerleader. Or go to one of the hundreds of gaming sites with a PG-13 atmosphere.

It's not pointless when the effect is exactly the same as having Andhaira alts fucking things up. Maybe the bastard was going to finally answer a fucking post? It certainly doesn't help any kind of constructive debate by calling someone a 'fucking faggot' with nothing else to add. The response is entirely predictable.

Who's talking of keeping only cheerleaders? Can't you fucking read? Again you go on about 'go to a PG-13 site' which pretty much proves that all you wan is a place to swear and abuse people. Well there are sites like that for you too I guess and I suggest you use them, rather than a fucking RPG DISCUSSION SITE for it.

Who's left that comes here? The Mitsodas and the Larian guy occasionally, the ex-Obsidian Timegate guy, a couple of indies...Why not let rip into them in the interest of free speech? Tell Annie to suck your cock, Brian to take it up the arse, the Larian guys to take a golden shower, Mr Obsidian reject to eat your shit and Charles to take his shit stained MM2 crap and shove it in his mother's cunthole.

Why the fuck not eh?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Are you really saying that we should give a damn about some carebear who gets butthurt and runs away because a single guy directed a bad post at him on the internet, especially AFTER going through lots of constructive posts?

20 Eyes

Liturgist

It's not pointless when the effect is exactly the same as having Andhaira alts fucking things up. Maybe the bastard was going to finally answer a fucking post? It certainly doesn't help any kind of constructive debate by calling someone a 'fucking faggot' with nothing else to add. The response is entirely predictable.

If someone runs off after being called a 'fucking faggot', who cares? They'd just get pissy about something else and leave. Do you think he was going to change anything substantial because of the Codex? Not going to happen. Why aren't the carebears over at the RPG Watch determining the fates of RPG games? Maybe Todd Howard would have turned Oblivion into the game of our dreams if only we hadn't offended him...

Who's talking of keeping only cheerleaders? Can't you fucking read? Again you go on about 'go to a PG-13 site' which pretty much proves that all you wan is a place to swear and abuse people. Well there are sites like that for you too I guess and I suggest you use them, rather than a fucking RPG DISCUSSION SITE for it.

Who's left that comes here? The Mitsodas and the Larian guy occasionally, the ex-Obsidian Timegate guy, a couple of indies...Why not let rip into them in the interest of free speech? Tell Annie to suck your cock, Brian to take it up the arse, the Larian guys to take a golden shower, Mr Obsidian reject to eat your shit and Charles to take his shit stained MM2 crap and shove it in his mother's cunthole.

Why the fuck not eh?

First of all, I can read just fine. But I was wondering about your reading comprehension when you launched into the unrelated Andhaira tirade. Maybe you don't see the association, but my cheerleader point was at least on topic. Besides that, I'm detecting some hostility in your post which is hilarious coming from someone asking for mean people to be banned.

"I tried to post on RPG Codex, but someone was a smartass and asked me 'can't you fucking read?'." Should you be banned for that? What if I was a developer and I got offended and ran away? How about then? If someone's skin is that thin they won't last a week on any forum besides official forums where they have control over everything. When you start banning people for 'being mean', it's a slippery slope and then everyone has to walk on eggshells to avoid getting banned. Mods couldn't even handle the simple common sense matter of whether a thread should be in General Gaming or General RPG until DU straightened things out. Why change a largely uncensored website that has been operating for years just because someone got pissy over a mean post and left? Fuck that.

I'm still pledging to the Banner Saga.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
my bro commie here, while being quite cranky as usual, seems to be p. much in favor of the banning obvious idiots side of the 'should we moderate developer-community codex interactions' argument, which likely pits himself against the established codexian view of 'if they can't show quality of character by ignoring said morons while giving good replies then fuck them'

commie's counterargument in this case would be that taking action would further dispel any illusions of whether the developer just wants an excuse to piss off or if he'd rather deal with 100 inane fluff questions from rockpapershotgun rather than 1 newly registered member telling him to blow a mule or if he just wants a 100% mature discussion while not being mature about it like chris avellone's reply on reddit here http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen..._with_brian_fargo_and_chris/c4bxy0y?context=3
Not to mention that there are following posts telling the banner saga guy to ignore that one moron
so I fail to see how this all translates to us cheerily wanting to tell annie to suck our zombie cosplaying dicks or whatever you think the codex will do in it's current state of complete disorder

andcommie I don't know what you mean by 'earning a reputation' here when it's clearly one lone idiot who has earned this reputation for us in this case, anyone who wants to see the codex as a bad place can just point to us being mean in general without any outright evidence of wrongdoing and lots of instances showing that we ban idiots and have a pro gay furry agenda or whatever we'll still have the bad rep because we hates the new games, just see what the average somethingawful or rps poster thinks, we're all this hivemind that hates everything but also come from 4chan and are actually 13 year olds who want to sound tough while playing starcraft

Mind you though, I'll like to see what we can get from being really outwardly nice to a developer that we don't really favor, will it get us shit or just be another example of how hypocritical rpg codex is, being courteous to developers and yet hating their games hooo there's that reputation thing again, it's never going to go away until we turn this place into BSN for game discussion oh wait BSN has a rep of it's own how will they fix that itz terrible how we can't look super awesome and still be codexian no matter what

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Agreed with commie, and not just as far as devs are concerned. It'd be cool if the News & Content forum was tighter moderated, just like Workshop is.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
This isn't RPGWatch. Actually I think, even RPGWatch wouldn't have done anything in this case. Taking a quick glance over The Banner Saga thread I'd consider the whole thing to be pretty tame, too bad a single twit was enough for Chewbot to leave forever, despite so many others being super-friendly. I guess Chewbot expected everyone to be muted who's being (somewhat) mean to him. That's why he filed a report, which I dismissed. Again, this is not like the Warden/DGaider thing or like Rosh going full dumbfuck on the Obsidianites. (unlike the mods back then I probably wouldn't have tolerated that). Imo Chewie tries to make a mountain out of a molehill and I suggest he grows some balls instead.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Agreed with commie, and not just as far as devs are concerned. It'd be cool if the News & Content forum was tighter moderated, just like Workshop is.
Any reference to Commie's trolling in said section is purely incidental.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I also feel a bit sorry for Chewbot. But it could absolutely not be helped. He seems to be a nice guy, but incredibly naive and herd minded. Apparently he was only interested in RPGCodex as long as it promised an easy way to promote his game. When the free ride was over, he stopped responding to any of the criticism / questions, except in the most non-commital terms. Then when 1 user with well known autism issues called him a con man he saw this as his chance to escape through the window and simply ran back to his people. Even the ridiculed SubBassman is a 100x more accessible guy and is at least so nice as to disagree with people.

It's up to developers if they want to post here. They should be absolutely welcome. And it can be very beneficial for them to earn the codex approval and check how their features catch on with a real hard core crowd. I think if a feature is approved on the Codex it will be absolutely solid. Some of the replies will be cringe worthy, but they always have the options ignore primitive comments. If they want to simply run off and cry mum it's their problem. On the codex you're expected to behave yourself like a man, and running off is not a manly thing to do.

I think the reason known developers like Fargo Avellone etc don't post is not because they have a problem with the language, but simply because it's below their level to post here, and because it's not smart to post something in a forum that could make you look really bad when spread all over the internet.

Chewbot is not much different, because he already thinks he is one of them. And perhaps he is. But I think it was right to remind him that he is still a relatively small fry and should get from his high horse, 650,000$ kickstarter or not.

The irony is that while he complains about the kind of treatment the got here, he may not admit it, but in the end it will be very good for the game that he was here. Just see how they quickly came up with a precise strategy and updates afterwards.

But I think he cannot post here any more, at least not respond to direct questions, because it goes against his professional training at Bioware to deal with criticism and gamers as equals. It's the same like the politicians who never talk to the man on the street because it once happened that someone threw an egg on their head.

Burning Bridges

And how is this supposed to work? Want to turn RPGCodex into a moderated forum? That would be more newfag shit.

The only thing that I could imagine is a "never use 4-letter words toward developers" policy. The problem is just to decide a) what a developer is, and b) what a 4-letter word is. I think we can all agree on cunt, fucker, asshole etc, but what about for example "deluded newcomer coming directly from unemployment"?

And what when I don't want to insult the developer but at least the game? Should calling something a "piece of crap" be moderated, lest Twittie's feelings are hurt? I hope this will never be considered.

Shannow

Waster of Time
First they came for Aunthairy, and I didn't speak up because I had him on ignore.
Then they shut down Bryce, and I didn't speak up because I couldn't bother.
Then Prosper wasn't allowed tp prosper, and I didn't speak up because he'd stopped being funny a long time ago.
Then the END OF RINE came for me, and there was nobody left to speak up.
fixed :troll:

Basically I agree with meltdown.
While I wouldn't mind stomping down on idiots who attack devs simply for being devs, because we normal posters do not have to deal with that kind of shit. There are two reasons a normal poster might get attacked:
1. He wrote/did shit and deserved it in the attacker's opinion.
2. Codex Vendetta.

1. Basically what even commie said is ok, and extremely few here would want to change that. 2. You have to earn that. Does not relate to newly registered (devs).
But even if devs were treated as pigs and made more equal, if they're so thin skinned that they run to mommy after one arbitrary "fuck you", it's already too late, even if the attacker is later sanctioned. (Not to mention, that this is the Codex and a non-arbitrary "Fuck you!" is always around the next corner.)

While we could all treat each other a little nicer (who am I kidding) I don't see any viable way of protecting specific user-groups while still retaining our culture of "Anything goes unless it's in violation the rules specified in the first post of this thread." And if we lose that culture we lose what sets us apart from the other gaming communities, the bad but also the good.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
And what when I don't want to insult the developer but at least the game? Should calling something a "piece of crap" be moderated, lest Twittie's feelings are hurt? I hope this will never be considered.
Why are so many having trouble understanding commie's posts? He's not talking about insulting the game, he's talking about personal insults to the developer that have nothing to do with their games. There's no slippery slope or what if or any of this shit. Want to rip into Gaider because his writing is abysmal? knock yourselves out. Want to call him a cock-sucking faggot? no. Want to rip into than Banner guy because of consolitis? hell yes. Want to call him a cock-sucking faggot? no. Simple really.

I'm all for the Free Codex and whatnot, but I'd much rather have the RPG Codex with some rules than the shitposters' haven with no rules.

Though kinda agree with Shannow that there's no simple way to pull this off.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Game developers actually have a thick skin, if they take issue it's not because they are offended except maybe some total newbies, it's a coldly calculated marketing decision.

It's really an ad hominem attack on the character of their critics. Oh don't listen they are assholes, and use words like faggot and jewgold. Then they can sidestep criticism completely.

The naive response is to say we have to stop being assholes and they will listen! The reality is, they have no intention to listen to criticism and the whole point is to sidestep it completely. If it wasn't one excuse it would be another. They have links to NSFW stuff there, so we can't have any linkbacks. Sound familiar? (and as if you can't eventually click something NSFW through links to any site in existence)

And if it were just being offended, you'd just leave. When you bring it up more that it ever happened to badmouth a whole group that doesn't support you it's just an attack on your critics.

Lesson is, stop being gullible guys.

Let me give another example: Remember when people(me included) were taking Charles to task over the shitty art direction in S&S:Underground? We ran down the game's looks brutally but; here's the thing; FAIRLY. We didn't hate cause it looked like shit, we complained because the actual art direction was so bad. Charles took the criticism in good faith, went back and eventually came back with a fucking greatly improved game and is still around being responsive and a real bro!

Now imagine if faggot x showed up and called Charles a fucking faggot trying to sell clip art shit for 20 dollars! Maybe he'd have a thick skin and laugh it off but why should it not be understandable if he chose to go and never return? Should people accept this just like that?

It's not about being gullible, but about laying some kind of groundwork for the best chance at having gamer-developer interaction here. I am aware that there are slimy devs out there that will try and weasel their way with marketing crap and throw a hissy fit if someone points out some shitty design ideas, but not all are like that and it would be a shame to break links with a decent one because of some cuntism. Just swearing at everyone cause it's in DA KONSTITUCION!!!!! is a pretty fucked attitude.

I don't know if it's that hard to pull off policing though: it's pretty easy to single out the troll posts that are just "you are a fucker cunt cause your game sux".

Running Fox

Educated
Queued
I like how the same people whom I consider idiot nerds want to read worthless advertisements from The Developer on the Dex.

But what do I know. I am just a carefree shitpostar.

:dance:

Cassidy

Arcane
There's no slippery slope or what if or any of this shit.

What I have witnessed in other forums when rules putting a specific kind of user like devs on a pedestal were implemented disproves your claim. There is always a slippery slope when this kind of shit starts up.

Seriously, why are you even pushing for this? There is nothing to be won. Developers aren't as open as you may naively think about taking suggestions from a forum just because they have forced everyone in such forum to be totally polite near them.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
In the end, it's more about the developer than about how the posters behave...

Charles faced some VERY strong hate, but listened to it and improved his game.
Banner Saga guys gave us some replys, ignored lots of things and got pissed at one single troll calling them names.
Tortured Hearts guy had the unprecedent feat of annoying the Codex out of a thread, his skin was so thick that absolutly nothing got through.

All three threads had trolls and proper advices, but each developer reacted in a different way. Sure, they have different backgrounds, Charles is a bro and wanted to please community; Banner Saga was just doing a PR job, looking for money for it's kickstarter; and Tortured Hearts guy has little grasp on reality and was being ignored on every forum except here...

Point is, shitposters and trolls are annoying and IMHO we should be harsher on them, BUT the regular codexian crowd is more than enough to drive "sensible" developers away, and those really after some feedback will want to endure 1 or 2 shitposts and seek some good feedback.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
The Codex itself should be banned for having a Bucket Wearing Todd Howard emoticon. This sort of 'joke' does nothing to foster Codex-Developer relations. It's not constructive and it's just mean-spirited.

Kz3r0

Arcane
The Codex itself should be banned for having a Bucket Wearing Todd Howard emoticon. This sort of 'joke' does nothing to foster Codex-Developer relations. It's not constructive and it's just mean-spirited.
:hearnoevil::thumbsup::avatard:
:balance::pete:
:kfc:
:mhd:
:hero:

DraQ

Arcane
And how is this supposed to work? Want to turn RPGCodex into a moderated forum? That would be more newfag shit.

The only thing that I could imagine is a "never use 4-letter words toward developers" policy. The problem is just to decide a) what a developer is, and b) what a 4-letter word is. I think we can all agree on cunt, fucker, asshole etc, but what about for example "deluded newcomer coming directly from unemployment"?

Itz like that thing DraQ was talking about.
Again.
:roll:
Want solution, possibly final, to shitposter problem, but at the same time a free forum where you can shitpost all you want?

It's doable.

The thing is that we shouldn't focus on shitposts, but on shitposters.

Shitposters aren't identified by what they do, they are identified by what the do not - they don't do anything of substance.

Most fora are inclusive in their policy - everyone can join and post provided they obey the rules, but why the 'Dex should be this way?
As long as it isn't about something highly illegal or disruptive, like kiddie porn, malware or dead cat pics, we shouldn't concern ourselves with rules that need to be obeyed.
Rather than being inclusive Codex should be exclusive - poster shouldn't be allowed to post here based on negative criterion of not breaking certain restrictions, poster should be allowed to post here based on positive criterion of being able to post non-shitposts.

If you post something smart or amusing or otherwise worthwhile, and want to be pants-on-head retarded sometimes, for whatever reason and in whatever way - be my guest. Even if you're fucking retarded 99% of the time, you're still welcome provided there is really something interesting in the remaining 1% of your posts.
But: if being pants-on-head retarded is all you can do, and you can't even be retarded in an entertaining way, then go be retarded somewhere else.

Codex *should* be all about allowing anyone to speak their mind and not get banned - provided they do have mind to speak of.

I don't really like the idea of some guys deciding whether I'm good enough to post on the forum and if I'm cool enough to stay with the :obviously: kids, we already get that shit on other places.

I'm all for the Free Codex and whatnot, but I'd much rather have the RPG Codex with some rules than the shitposters' haven with no rules.

Though kinda agree with Shannow that there's no simple way to pull this off.

I guess you can't do this with rules, it's a matter of common sense. While everyone should be free to shit all over a game, when it becomes clear the guy is trying too hard he should get the dumbfuck tag he covets, be relegated to posting in GD for a time, be given some porn links so he can go jack off a little, or something similar.

The problem is determining when someone is trying too hard, and when someone is just voicing his opinions in a colorful way. But that has potential to generate modding butthurt and meltdowns so I don't mind.

Burning Bridges

DraQ
But hasn't this always been the way the codex operates? Although I don't even agree with your 99% to 1% ratio. People should provide a lot more content to not be called a shitposter.

P.S. pictures of dead kitties of any kind should always lead to a criminal charge and/or lithuanian hitmen. I mean what's a crime worse than not having any empathy whatsoever, in our beloved little pink paradise for big kids.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom