Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

(Rumor) nuDOOM II could be announced the next E3

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
According to this shit:

It may have just been his phrasing, or it may have been some deliberately chosen words, but Bethesda’s Pete Hines might have teased a DOOM 2 announcement for E32018.

In an interview from PAX East with DualShockers, Hines was asked Bethesda’s somewhat shallow latter half of 2018.

Hines’ response seemed to go unnoticed for what it may have been, but it certainly seems like he may have been teasing DOOM 2.

DOOM 2 E3 2018

Hines said in the interview that Bethesda has “a lot of new stuff to talk about at E3.” He obviously wasn’t ale to give any details at this stage and even said that he “couldn’t give you any guesses as to what we’re going to announce and when those games will be out.”

However, what he said next points directly to a possible follow up to the phenomenal reboot of DOOM from 2016.

Whether or not folks realize it, this is the hell on Earth [emphasis added] time for us with E3. We are in the midst of so much planning and work for all of that content but I’m really excited.

Hell on Earth was the original subtitle for DOOM II when it was released in 1994.

RELATED: THE ELDER SCROLLS 6 RUMOUR
Hines may have simply been saying that right now is a tough time at work. Specifically using the phrase ‘Hell on Earth’ seems a little strange when referring to upcoming exciting information though.

This leads us to believe that Hines was being very sneaky and slipping in a hint about a sequel to DOOM 2016 while appearing to be casually responding to a question.

DOOM 2 Electric Boogaloo

Bethesda’s Senior Vice President of Marketing went on to add more to his statement, telling DualShockers;

It’s going to be a big mix of stuff that’s all over the place. It’s not going to be like all [one] kind of game or genre.

It’s going to be a lot of stuff in a lot of different areas and hopefully, there’s something in there for everybody.

There are already rumours that Bethesda will announce The Elder Scrolls 6 at E3 2018. If this is true, the announcement of DOOM 2 would certainly fit with Hines’ statement.

DOOM and The Elder Scrolls are very different properties and would certainly constitute “a big mix of stuff” that’s not one “kind of game or genre.”

The latter half of Hines’ statement also gives hope to seeing Bethesda titles being released on Switch at the same time as other platforms. When he says that he hopes there’s something for everybody, it sounds like he’s referring to both genre and platform.

Of course, we may just be reading into this far too much, but then again maybe not.

Using the phrase ‘Hell on Earth’ the way he did is strange unless it was meant to cryptically hint at a DOOM 2 E3 2018 announcement. Given that it’s been two years since the reboot, it’s about time we saw something new from id.

What do you think?

Source

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
nuDOOM was alright, but people clung to it like the second arrival of yisus
it had the 'food in a time of famine' thing going for it like Dragon Age: Origins and TW1
more people started slowly realizing that in retrospect it could have been better

Durandal

Arcane
It was a serviceable Painkiller/Serious Sam game.
for the last time

serious sam is a first-person mobile tower defense shooter
painkiller is a painful clone of serious sam which ruins the mobile tower defense aspect by virtue of the player being able to outrun anything, you can't really do that shit in SS
nuDoom is the first-person equivalent of Robotron, it's got more in common with twin stick shooters than other first-persons shooters with huge amount of enemies

ortucis

Prophet
I played nuDoom on my 660Ti, hated it.

I should give it a try on my 1060.. which probably won't change the retarded executions based gameplay and glowing generic enemies. On second thought, I'll keep it uninstalled.

Last edited:

McPlusle

Savant
Please no. D44M was both a lesser Serious Sam game (unfortunate since I love Serious Sam and Doom) and a complete insult to its IP with its godawful ironic nu-metal soundtrack and its canned melee finishers. It was a Doom game made by people whose first FPS was Modern Warfare 2.

Durandal

Arcane
Please no. D44M was both a lesser Serious Sam game (unfortunate since I love Serious Sam and Doom) and a complete insult to its IP with its godawful ironic nu-metal soundtrack and its canned melee finishers. It was a Doom game made by people whose first FPS was Modern Warfare 2.
quit smoking weed

nuDoom is about being trapped in a circular skatepark and moving around like a pinball with max. 12 mobile enemies all around you trying to plink you from a distance
Serious Sam is about running backwards on a large flat space with some geographic variation from a massive horde of enemies who will charge straightforward at you which you can't reliably outrun and can only outsurvive by killing everything before they get close to you

Martius

Liturgist
New Doom was nice surprise so hopefully there wont be any reason to complain fs sequel will be revealed at e3. Maybe I played bit too much action games but I feel like it was influenced by games like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta. For example
-rune trials are similar to secret missions in DMC
-hidden argent cells increase health limit, just like blue orbs from DMC
-getting health through execution - pretty much zandatsu from Metal Gear Rising (maybe also recent Resident Evil games but there contextual attacks can affect more than just one target)
-bosses - of course are not that good but basics are there, you need to dodge and find opportunity for your own attacks
-combat loop - in DMC and Bayo enemies also spawn wave after wave
-story - pretty much makes fun of itself, also simillar to DMC, Bayo or Rising
Of course that could be completely not intentional. Who knows, maybe some at ID is fan of genre.

Last edited:

Cross

Arcane
quit smoking weed

nuDoom is about being trapped in a circular skatepark and moving around like a pinball with max. 12 mobile enemies all around you trying to plink you from a distance
Serious Sam is about running backwards on a large flat space with some geographic variation from a massive horde of enemies who will charge straightforward at you which you can't reliably outrun and can only outsurvive by killing everything before they get close to you
Being compared to something doesn't mean being completely identical to it. The nuDoom style of encounter design of having discrete, locked off arenas that spawn in enemies is far more similar to Serious Sam and especially Painkiller than it is to the design of classic Doom and other 90's FPS where enemies are encountered naturally while exploring the levels, which is why people make the Serious Sam/Painkiller comparison.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
It's sad they took the prestigious Doom design formula, turned it into a crappy arena shooter and it's STILL better than most other modern FPS

:negative:

DeepOcean

Arcane
I don't know why people make this fuss about nuDoom, Pain Killer Black and the first Serious Sam are much better arena shooters. Guess it must be the newer generation that didn't play anything before Modern Warfare 2 that are hyping it.

Big Wrangle

If id goes on to take notes from the older Doom games in terms of level design, this could be pretty great. The base mechanics and shooting were generally solid, but the game was a constant barrage of enclosed arena battles it just gets tiring. There wasn't much variety in how the encounters were designed. They should definitely make the levels much more elaborate, but with the right mindset it won't be hopeless.
Well, that's what I'm hoping for, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
As long as they don't make Earth like gaudy Mario-Land as a "faithful throwback to the classics" it should be fine.

But then again we talk about nuId and shitty idTech 6, so of course they'll screw it up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom