Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Rumor] PS3 DRM incoming.

Jezal_k23

Previously we reported on a PSN ban rumor which was followed by speculation on preventing bans, and today Dutch site PS3-Sense (linked above) claims that according to SKFU Sony plans to combat PS3 piracy with Blu-ray disc serial keys.

Similar to what's been done with PC games in the past, when you buy a PS3 or PSN game you'll get a serial key with it which you can use up to 5 times.

This gives Sony a signal that you are authorized to play the game and that you have a legal copy of the game, and the serial key only works with the same Blu-ray disc with the same serial number.
Source

Now that would be funny.

taviow said:
Previously we reported on a PSN ban rumor which was followed by speculation on preventing bans, and today Dutch site PS3-Sense (linked above) claims that according to SKFU Sony plans to combat PS3 piracy with Blu-ray disc serial keys.

Similar to what's been done with PC games in the past, when you buy a PS3 or PSN game you'll get a serial key with it which you can use up to 5 times.

This gives Sony a signal that you are authorized to play the game and that you have a legal copy of the game, and the serial key only works with the same Blu-ray disc with the same serial number.
Source

Now that would be funny.

:mob:
Does Sony want to get completely destroyed? Who would want to buy a game from them knowing that they can only use them 5 times? There's a reason why Command and Conquer Red Alert 3 failed miserably. Because no one likes DRM. :retarded: :decline:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Richard Stallman is right. They wont be satisfied until they "rent" the machines to you.

:yeah:

Luzur said:
consolers will turn pirates when those 5 turns are used.

or even legitimate customers will pirate to not use those 5 "installs". The industry has never learned what works and what doesn't... :x

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Last I checked the PS3 was so utterly hacked this won't make any difference at all anyways, except perhaps for multiplayer.

Luzur

Good Sir
DamnedRegistrations said:
Last I checked the PS3 was so utterly hacked this won't make any difference at all anyways, except perhaps for multiplayer.

...which what keeps it alive.

Achilles

Arcane
Heh, now the consolites can enjoy DRM just as we do. I'm pretty sure that M$ will soon follow. All hands, prepare for lulz!

Nostradumbass

Scholar
i've always wished for a big gaming corporation like sony, or even a massive gaming publisher like activision, to have a real gamer as the person at the top making the decisions. instead of a jew like kotick.

they might actually make a lot more money in the long run (assuming of course he had business skills too. im not suggesting to put a "real" gamer, aka a basement dweller, in charge). because while their jewish ways may be working for now, theyere heading for fail.

MapMan

Arcane
This-is-me-Giving-a-fuck.jpg

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I love the phrase
Digital Rights Management.

Man was Orwell a fucking prophet or what?

Nostradumbass

Scholar
Dicksmoker said:
Wait...does that mean five times putting the disk in the drive, or what?

of course not. that would be, LITERALLY, severe levels of retardation on their part. i assume they mean on five different machines.

which sucks if you want to take it round to your friends. and sucks even more if you want to resell it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Game devs are trying everything they can to kill off selling used games. They hate it, because they don't get any profit from it.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Nostradumbass said:
Dicksmoker said:
Wait...does that mean five times putting the disk in the drive, or what?

of course not. that would be, LITERALLY, severe levels of retardation on their part. i assume they mean on five different machines.

which sucks if you want to take it round to your friends. and sucks even more if you want to resell it.
Oh okay. But yeah, that would make buying used games risky. Fucking assholes. I swear to god if I ever buy a used game and it doesn't work because of this I will go to every effort to get the console modded and never spend any money to buy or rent a game on it again.

Actually putting the serial number in the disk? That's ridiculous. Aren't they still pressing disks? If so making a different disk every time would lead to a huge escalation of production costs.

Game devs are trying everything they can to kill off selling used games. They hate it, because they don't get any profit from it.

Would be funny to see this single-handedly kill off the used games market just with a standard serial number registration. Considering that 90% of the console releases are 5 hour games that are returned the next day, this would draw a lot of shit. Sony/MS are certainly losing a shitload more money off used game rentals than they are to piracy.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Overweight Manatee said:
Actually putting the serial number in the disk? That's ridiculous. Aren't they still pressing disks? If so making a different disk every time would lead to a huge escalation of production costs.

I doubt this is true.

Besides i read that they already do something similar:
the blue ray disks from the ps3 aren't very different from the PC blue ray, except in one particular,

The PS3 blue ray have a watermark that the Blue-Ray consortium (Sony and some other pig-fuckers, except toshiba i think) mandated that blue ray writers/readers firmware checks for and refuse to do anything if they find.

(the solution is retarded: cut the drive slot and swap the disks)

Destroid

Arcane
No more lending your console games to your friends willy nilly. I guess rentals will have a special version with unlimited installs, which will certainly give the hackers a good blueprint on how to bypass this security.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Reject_666_6 said:
I wish they did it and that it would lead to the self-destruction of console gaming. I'd be the happiest man on Earth.

:thumbsup:

Then all those damn console exclusive digital download titles will be available on PC!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom