Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rumors about Final Fantasy X-3

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Just let it be. X was okay enough but X-2 was utter shit. The story finished with X and there is nothing more to tell. X-2 was just a quick cash grab with little to be considered a good story.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I read how Square Enix is thinking of doing FF X-3. Interesting but shouldn't be attempted without X's original writers and directors!

https://www.vgr.com/square-enix-comments-on-the-possibility-of-final-fantasy-x-3/

Said original writers had Tidus resurrected and then die again in a slapstick moment, so that may not work out either way.

dltqghxpoevioybnxamk.gif

hexer

Yeah, that's just what we need... a sequel to yet another massively overrated JRPG.

Meh, it's all subjective.. I consider it one of the best games I ever played. It pushed all the right buttons for me.
There are many reasons I'd say that.. story, creativity, philosophy/religion/politics, family issues, characters, exotic island setting, TB combat, variety in gameplay - combat/puzzles/sport, music, mindblowing CGI cutscenes, pacing, length, side quests..

Just let it be. X was okay enough but X-2 was utter shit. The story finished with X and there is nothing more to tell. X-2 was just a quick cash grab with little to be considered a good story.

I always thought X-2 was a slam dunk sequel they made just for girl gamers and die-hard fans.
It was like one of those old direct-to-video movies.

Falksi

Arcane
X was awesome. Fucking superb, innocent, traditional JRPG cheesy goodness like an 80's power ballad or camp action flick like Flash Gordon.

X-2 was an abomination which stayed cheesy, but lost it's sincerity & innocence. Not to mention having shite mechanics. Perfect summary above, a direct-to-video sequel. If X was Beastmaster, X-2 was Beastmaster 2.

I'd like to see X-3 but, like a lot of franchizes, they need to largely ignore the middle entry. It needs to be a fresh story based on the first game.

The lore & world involved in both were fine & have plenty of room for expansion.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yeah, that's just what we need... a sequel to yet another massively overrated JRPG.

Meh, it's all subjective.. I consider it one of the best games I ever played. It pushed all the right buttons for me.
There are many reasons I'd say that.. story, creativity, philosophy/religion/politics, family issues, characters, exotic island setting, TB combat, variety in gameplay - combat/puzzles/sport, music, mindblowing CGI cutscenes, pacing, length, side quests..

I always thought X-2 was a slam dunk sequel they made just for girl gamers and die-hard fans.
The die-hard fans are the ones who hate it the most

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

X-2 wasn't made sorely for girls considering the game was inspired by Magical Girl anime, and well, how Japan typically reacts to all girl casts.

It was apparently made to be upbeat as possible and I guess they figures that just meant magic girls. (Wikipedia also mentions charlies angels and I dont see it).

----

I know a lot of people like X-2 for the gameplay, at the very least. When referring to the hate it gets.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Eh, honestly there is nothing more you can do after X-2 (which for me not that bad honestly, the true ATB combat was hectic fun).

Tidus is back, centuries of grudge erased. Even X-2 main villains are already kind of an ass pull after X.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I know a lot of people like X-2 for the gameplay, at the very least. When referring to the hate it gets.

It's generally appreaciated at least. I even like it for the story in a popcorn kind of way. It's also easily ignorable since X is self-contained and there's really no questions left answering after it, with the X-2 true ending being there as a kind of fan-fictony feel-good ending if you couldn't coop with X's ending.

Eh, honestly there is nothing more you can do after X-2 (which for me not that bad honestly, the true ATB combat was hectic fun).

Tidus is back, centuries of grudge erased. Even X-2 main villains are already kind of an ass pull after X.

Sadly, this exists

And considering any sequel would be based on this abomination we have to make SURE X-3 never happens.

hexer

I'm kind of not surprised they brought Sin back.
They never clarified why the fayth in X says "Sin, the one around whom all Spira - the spiral - revolves."
It sounded like there's more to it

Delterius

Arcane

It's generally appreaciated at least. I even like it for the story in a popcorn kind of way. It's also easily ignorable since X is self-contained and there's really no questions left answering after it, with the X-2 true ending being there as a kind of fan-fictony feel-good ending if you couldn't coop with X's ending.

Sadly, this exists

And considering any sequel would be based on this abomination we have to make SURE X-3 never happens.

i like how he's like 'but nothing else can be done after this, it would be retarded' and then the present already confirmed his promise because meg ryan came back but then exploded after kicking a blitzball shaped bomb

hence the
xmbufeovurueyheauyqu.jpg

CyberModuled

Arbiter
Quite frankly the shitty X-2.5 novella is the reason why I'd want a theoretical X-3 to happen. It's such a mess that I can't see how a sequel based on it and X's universe wouldn't be funny (and c'mon, compared to something like XV, it'd ironically be a better investment overall).

hexer

(and c'mon, compared to something like XV, it'd ironically be a better investment overall).

XV was like "let's take 14 best things from 14 previous FF and make a new game out of them". It just shows you can't count on success recipes all the time, people want novelty too

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
The k-pop theme and stupid story of FF X-2 actually undersells how good that game actually plays. I really enjoyed the combat system in that one, the jobs are mostly interesting (with some OP ones) it's probably the best rendition of ATB of all FF games that utilize ATB (and I've played them all).

It can't compete with FF X in terms of story and worldbuilding but the game beneath is great.

I didn't read the X-2.5 novel but the audio drama that got released alongside the X/X-2 Remaster was absolutely terrible. The one thing that's well-realized about X-2's world is that it's one that's recovering, rebuilding and looking forward to the future. The tone of the game and the characters all carry that fundamental optimism. So it was surprising for me when within the span of about half an hour the audio drama smoothly shat on all that. It's like they looked at X-2, said "nah, but keep the shitty story beats" and rubbed a giant eraser all over it, which is apparently in line with the needlessly depressive novel preceding it.

So if they do release X-3 in some form I am not looking forward to it, as they just don't have a foundation for anything compelling right now.

hexer

Man, Square Enix is working overtime to destroy Squaresoft's legacy!

Falksi

Arcane
They could easily take elements of X & create X-3 from that. Who wouldn't love to see a bit more Auron?

And the ending of X-2 was open to interpritation slightly, with
Tidus suggesting he could still be a dream.

No reason why we can't have an adventure in the old/dream Zanarkand. Who's to say that isn't still an actual happening reality somewhere?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom