Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline RYSE of the no-QTE QTEs

FeelTheRads

Arcane
One day you will make an argument on the Codex rooted in mechanics instead of simulationism. One day.

Now... as much as I dislike DraQ's obsession with EVERYHTINGZ MUST BE REALZ.. seriously now. What "mechanic" is there to fighting just one enemy at the same time while the rest wait and watch? What great gameplay does this give you? Hmm? Oh right.. nothing.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The challenge isn't defeating an encounter. The challenge is defeating an encounter in a way that looks slick and super fly, bro! AWESOME!
But but but.. the player will be disappointed if he doesn't manage to look awesome. It's much better game design to make it look cool no matter what buttons you press, and instead reward hardcore gamers who hit the right buttons during the QTEs with extra achievements.
But player will be disappointed if he doesn't get all achievements...
Somehow, achievements remain the one place where it's acceptable not to coddle the casual players. I guess it's because casuals don't care about them, or perhaps more likely never noticed that the achievements exist in the first place.

DraQ

Arcane
One day you will make an argument on the Codex rooted in mechanics instead of simulationism. One day.

Now... as much as I dislike DraQ's obsession with EVERYHTINGZ MUST BE REALZ.. seriously now. What "mechanic" is there to fighting just one enemy at the same time while the rest wait and watch? What great gameplay does this give you? Hmm? Oh right.. nothing.
Button - [A]wesome.

Dr Tomo

Learned
What "mechanic" is there to fighting just one enemy at the same time while the rest wait and watch? What great gameplay does this give you? Hmm? Oh right.. nothing.

Gives you a movie like experience where the main protagonist slays warriors in individual combat and everyone waits for their turn to best this warrior. We all know that in ancient history you don't back stab warriors and face them in honorable combat.

Divinity: Original Sin
Also, CryTek is innovating QTEs: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/20/ryse-son-of-rome-preview-gamescom-2013/
Crytek has responded to those concerns, and the build of Ryse being shown at Gamescom has a significantly altered execution system. Gone are the garish button prompts. Instead, enemies are subtly highlighted with the color of the appropriate button: Yellow for the shield (Y) and blue for the sword (X). By watching Marius' animations and keeping an eye out for each color, I easily slipped into the rhythm of various executions, something I can't say about the E3 build I played in June.
What? :lol: How many stupid shit can you make up? Are they having a competition about who can make up the dumbest gameplay element?

Protip: Make up a decent combat system and let the player choose the way he fights. So you don't have to cover the enemies in rainbow colours.

Simon says...

simon_says_soa_rail.png

I bet someone will put a USB conector on this thing and you'll be able to control play the game with it.

EDIT: Damn, I'm late!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I still hope it bombs while the devs run around accusing everything they can point their finger at, but themselves -

What are some good examples of prominent developers admitting they fucked up a game? Other than Harvey Smith with Invisible War I can't think of any.

This industry is all about the blame game.

Dr Tomo

Learned
I still hope it bombs while the devs run around accusing everything they can point their finger at, but themselves - from piracy to malicious sociopaths from /v/ clogging up metacritic.
:avatard:
Not going to happen as it will be successful with a million sales and we shall see members of the codex start threads of how amazing the game is and why we should purchase it. Then Ea will come with their own version and Activision will follow suit shortly after.

DeepOcean

Arcane
1)My God! Kwans LARPING being romans. You conquer and slaghter random people not because you are dick but because your son and wife were murdered,see, you are totally the good guy.
2)Really advanced motion capture technology while you can barely see the movements of the attacks with that fucking annoying effect.
3)Historical military strategy. Yeah... let's fight barely naked men and break formation for cool fights.
4):M

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Well, the armor looks nice. Too bad it's apparently made of paper, since the barbarians can stab through it without any resistance.

Cassidy

Arcane
It is not incompetence when it is making tons of mouthbreathing, doritos eating and mountain dew drinking cretins spend their McDonald's job wage or daddy's money on such shit.

Of course, if this fucks up instead it would be a very good news, but unfortunately there are more than enough mouthbreathers to preorder or day one purchase this.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Even the IGN bros seem down on this game, actually. Though how that translates to sales I have no idea.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Unfortunately, this game will probably sell quite well. It's basically God of War: Rome Edition, people eat that qte action-game shit up.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Unfortunately, this game will probably sell quite well. It's basically God of War: Rome Edition, people eat that qte action-game shit up.
This looks nothing like God of War.
Cinematic qte hack/slash with shallow button-mashy combat and violent historical setting, story is about an angry man out to avenge his family. It's definitely cut from the same cloth as GoW, all it's missing are mythological creatures.

Tehdagah

Arcane
This looks nothing like God of War.
Cinematic qte hack/slash with shallow button-mashy combat and violent historical setting, story is about an angry man out to avenge his family. It's definitely cut from the same cloth as GoW, all it's missing are mythological creatures.
GoW's combat isn't "smash-button" (at least on Hard mode) and it has much less QTEs than Ryse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:killit:

I can imagine someone writing about how realistic Bryse combat encounters are. And ripping off Gladiator doesn't make it better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom