Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SaGa Series Discussion

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well, patchnotes!: https://steamcommunity.com/games/606370/announcements/detail/1598081006377398246

December 26, 2017 Patch Notes

Fixes and Additions

* Added a “Mouse Button Display [ON/OFF]” option to the environmental settings menu.
* Released the Online Manual.
* Fixed an issue in which it was not possible to properly progress in certain events.
* Made various other minor fixes and improvements.

Thank You.
Romancing SaGa2 team.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Does the manual teach you the game rules? Or is it just for retard stuff like "this is how you open your inventory"?

The manual is actually surprisingly nice and has a lot of useful information. Excommunicator, I recommend you take a look at it.

Good. A decent manual will be beneficial for a game like this, though it should've launched with it. Could've avoided a few refunds as I saw a lot of people say that they tried to play SaGa as a typical jRPG and got punished for it.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Well, with the news of the patch allowing the mobile UI to be turned off, I decided to give it another shot, and bought the game again.

Sadly, the controller support is still fucked. I tried configuring my controller in Big Picture Mode, tried running the game in the same mode, but still the button mapping makes the game absolutely impossible to play on my Xbox 360 wired controller. The "confirm" button is mapped to A, and the analog stick (but no the d pad) is mapped to the direction controls, but otherwise it's a total mess. "B" is mapped to Right Trigger, "Quit" (????) is mapped to "Start" and none of the other buttons function. I could play it on keyboard, or I guess fuck around with it and get something going with joy2key, but if they are charging 3000 fucking yen for a glorified android port and cannot even get the controller working properly, then I would just rather play the original on the good old SFC controller like God intended.

Emmanuel2

Savant
Well, with the news of the patch allowing the mobile UI to be turned off, I decided to give it another shot, and bought the game again.

Sadly, the controller support is still fucked. I tried configuring my controller in Big Picture Mode, tried running the game in the same mode, but still the button mapping makes the game absolutely impossible to play on my Xbox 360 wired controller. The "confirm" button is mapped to A, and the analog stick (but no the d pad) is mapped to the direction controls, but otherwise it's a total mess. "B" is mapped to Right Trigger, "Quit" (????) is mapped to "Start" and none of the other buttons function. I could play it on keyboard, or I guess fuck around with it and get something going with joy2key, but if they are charging 3000 fucking yen for a glorified android port and cannot even get the controller working properly, then I would just rather play the original on the good old SFC controller like God intended.

My wireless 360 controller is doing pretty fine as a plug-n-play, didn't have to configure anything the first time. Though, I don't have Big Picture Mode controller configs on.

Dpad and the left stick can both be used for movement, select for exiting the game, B for dash/back, A for confirm, X for map/exit town, Y for menu.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Finally had the time to sit down and actually play this game and itz hevan. It's too bad that SaGa never made it to the west, although it's understandable why Square never bothered to make much of an effort given the reactions that people have had for these games over the years when one does manage to make it.

Not sure if this is the best place to ask and I don't really want to derail the thread, but is Unlimited Saga for the PS2 really just shit or is it an acquired taste?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I never got to play it enough to find out, but I've heard some cool stuff (time management/mutually exclusive questlines, stuff like that.)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I never got to play it enough to find out, but I've heard some cool stuff (time management/mutually exclusive questlines, stuff like that.)
It had all the makings of a great game. Unfortunately, nothing was described and the combat ruined the entire game for me. I did play more than 10 hours before returning it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have sometimes thought about just replaying the "demo". I haven't played any "demo" since Dragon Age 2.

Maybe I would enjoy it. I don't know. My memories from the actual gameplay are really bad. I did love the music and I did like how it looked.

Emmanuel2

Savant
Unlimited Saga for the PS2 really just shit or is it an acquired taste

It's fantastic IMHO. While I did not complete it, it's a very good but flawed game back when I played it IIRC (back when I had a functioning PS2). The Manual was also needed from I recall as there was literally no tutorial in the game, I was always hyped to read new manuals and I recall being very thankful for reading. It's the next SaGa that I'm going to play since I had fond memories of it.

Oh and the music is pretty fantastic.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I just need to reiterate how good this game is. I liked Saga 3 a lot, but I don't remember much since I played it back in the day when people still perpetuated the myth that roms aren't illegal as long as you delete it after 24 hours from downloading it. Saga 2 has become one of my top 10 favorite games. It just does so many things well, once you figure out the way the game is intended to be played. This is easily one of the best and most tactical turn based combat systems in jRPGs. Team building can matter a lot and really make a difference. I managed to kill the Hive Queen, barely, probably because I went there immediately (accidentally while wandering aimlessly around the world) with my severely under developed characters, but with clever tactics I managed to beat the boss (I used a Light Infantry to keep feinting the Hive Queen and pray that they stun her before she got to act her turn). Even then my damage output was so low that I had managed to exhaust all my SPs and barely killed her with a normal attack when my whole party was just one attack away from a wipe. Jeez it felt so good winning that fight.

Vagiel

Augur
I agree 100%. I bought it for mobile when it was first released but the always online thing broke me in the end. I bought it again now and it puts xenoblade 2 to shame.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Unlimited Saga for the PS2 really just shit or is it an acquired taste

It's fantastic IMHO. While I did not complete it, it's a very good but flawed game back when I played it IIRC (back when I had a functioning PS2). The Manual was also needed from I recall as there was literally no tutorial in the game, I was always hyped to read new manuals and I recall being very thankful for reading. It's the next SaGa that I'm going to play since I had fond memories of it.

Oh and the music is pretty fantastic.
Yes, my reply would be in this vein. It's complicated, I love Unlimited Saga, I really do, it's among my favourites, because it's hard, unusual, ambitious, with very well made quests, I like the presentation, and it was only me I'd say it's a must play. Yet they are two reasons why I generally maintain a cautious approach and rarely recommend it : first I played the game a lot and in the detail many things seem ulitmately to be bad thought so I feel like complaints from cleverer people who dig into the systems more than I do are probably legit and secondly it's the only SaGa game I've ever played so far so maybe the other ones are simply superior which could also explain a kind of legit hatred for the game.

Latro

Arcane
it's the only SaGa game I've ever played so far so maybe the other ones are simply superior which could also explain a kind of legit hatred for the game.
the japs liked it just fine; it's that outside of SaGa Frontier 1+2, nobody who reviewed the game was even familiar with how the game is supposed to be played, much less with no hand-holding tutorial

Expon

Scholar
it's the only SaGa game I've ever played so far so maybe the other ones are simply superior which could also explain a kind of legit hatred for the game.
the japs liked it just fine; it's that outside of SaGa Frontier 1+2, nobody who reviewed the game was even familiar with how the game is supposed to be played, much less with no hand-holding tutorial
As a board game they find it ok. As a saga game they like that gacha game better.:M

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
(About Unlimited Saga)
That's interesting because that's a problem, I think the game has its flaws (the main reason why I'm not detailing is because it's metagaming that may spoil the fun of new players) but people also seem to hate it because it's hard, has unusual mechanisms you have to apprehend or because of the board game design which are bad reasons to hate it ; these are actually some of the reasons why I like it so much.

(At this point the discussion would maybe deserve to be moved in a separated thread, or not)

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Most of all I hate the spinning wheel. Remove that and make it more traditional and I would have loved the game. I think that's what pisses me off the most. I loved the board game structure.

I think we can safely discuss here.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Took me around 25 hours but I managed to kill my 2nd Hero now. I'm guessing that the game will start snowballing in speed now, but so far it has been quite the adventure to say the least.

Edit: Some 500 years after Dantarg whooped my ass, I came back for revenge and mopped the floor with him. Holy Mary and Jesus Christ do Axes do immense damage. My "Armed Merchant" did 2k damage with Yo-Yo, a tier 3 axe skill, while other people were hitting for 1k. Invest in Axes, doods. They are monstrous.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
newtmonkey

wtf man, don't you know how to use a controller emulation/remapping program? the most popular and easiest to use is one called x360 CE (controller emulator), it allows you to remap whatever you want on your controller. It makes any game detect your controller/input device as if it were a plugged-in xbox 360 controller and then it further allows you to bind any controller input to any controller button.

if you want to do more crazy shit and do some x-treme remapping/rebinding like say playing around with the Axis planes and stuff I recommend using another one called JoyToKey. There's a new one that recently debuted called AntiMicro which does everything x360 CE does but it's easier to setup.

I made this post because it's simply a shame to give up on a game because you don't know how to use one of this simple apps, as it will benefit you (and any gamer) hugely since games with proper native controller/input device support are few and far between.

Learning to use one of these programs will allow you to play any game with any input device you want and using any binding setup.

EDIT: the most advanced one is AutoHotkey which allows making custom script files which intercept input signals and throw them from keyboard/mouse to another device, or vice verse. AHK combined with something like x360 CE allows for complete customization of any kind of possible input interface you can imagine, and AHK alone is very useful for remapping bindings that are otherwise impossible to do so in keyboard/mouse games.

Also it seems you already know about JoyToKey but I'd recommend x360 CE (or AntiMicro) as they are extremely easier and simpler to setup. JoyToKey allows for more flexibility but user-friendly it is not.

The only cases where I don't recommend using one of these input device emulation programs is with something like a SHMUP bullet-hell game or a fighting game where milliseconds of input lag matter. x360 CE introduces something like 4ms of input lag which can make a noticeable difference in something like Street Fighter; however this is impossible for anyone who doesn't play these types of games to notice.

Last edited:

Latro

Arcane
btw, is this the only Saga that did the inheritance/heir system? saga as a whole seems more suited to this pseudo-roguelike permadeath setup than the scenario shit imo

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom