Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Saints Row the Fourth

GeorgeWood

Educated
Two-Take deserves major points up for making us feel like a spandex king super hero, with some additional POWER ups.

When we thought that the last game pushed it's imaginative zaniness to the last level, oh boy, we were so wrong.

You really feel like Jim Carrey's ''The Mask'', when you use one of the numerous superpowers to dispatch of the mean alien beasties.

If you don't buy this now, then honestly, your gamer's heart has just been eaten by the mean alien beasties.

DeepOcean

Arcane
My God, the game is fun and all, but fuck me if the side-quests aren't the worst bullshit game-lengthening crack I've dealt with for a while. The pacing goes to shit if you complete each series of side-quests when you get them. Basically the game becomes Cool Story Cutscene for 2 minutes - Exciting Story Segment Gameplay for 5 minutes - BANAL SHIT BORING side-quest activity grinding for 30 minutes.
Another tip, you can complete the activities in the order you want, when you want, if they are related with a side quest, when you get that sidequest, it will just auto complete.

Seerix

Arbiter
Finished the game and here's some rundown of things:

- superpowers are fun and literally ripped from Prototype, even sounds are similar :lol:
- love the music choice, especially all the epic pieces
- main evil dude is fun
- female voice actors for boss are awful, I miss the russian and latino chicks :( Also, who the fuck is this Nolan North dude, he sounds to me exactly like Male 1, I want zombie voice, ffs.
- did writers from Saints Row 2 were fired or did they suffered a brain damage? Established setting and characters from Saints Row 2 were of unique quality, balance and attention to detail. It appears as in it wasn't only removed from next games but also mocked as if main writer was discovered to be a pedophile or something.
- total reuse of assets, even from Saints Row 2, but it's not noticeable as most of the time you're too busy dicking around with your superpowers
- awesome amount of references to various games, movies, internet, etc. Especially Keith David's nightmare :love:
- the presidency itself was pretty disappointing(just one stroll trough a corridor? Meh.)
- just like in SRTT, majority of missions consists of forced side-activities but here it gets ridiculous when you do all those activities beforehand and then end up constantly going back and forth between various characters to cash in the rewards of the "quests" you completed day or two before you even got those characters aboard.
- there is some weird moralizing hidden in the game where various characters contemplate theirs and boss past deeds and wonder how thing could have been different, it's fucking weird.
- same goes for some "dramatic" scenes in the main story, they tend to get so ridiculous it's just facepalm inducing(like flip out scene during Gat's rescue mission).
- final boss fight was extremely cheap, I had much more fun taking down superpowered targets in a side activity.
- and for the last, why main character was turned into a total assclown? I know they're riding hard on the while "do crazy shit!" thing, but they didn't had to turn main character into that, he's less badass and more of an power tripping idiot now.

So, to put it simply, I had fun playing the game and doing some of the new side activities, also majority of main quests and loyalty quests were fucking awesome. But there are various and extremely jarring when they become apparent horrible parts or moments in the game but luckily for SR4, it's possible to just ignore them and move on, not like in some other fucked up sequels to much more awesome games.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member

Caim

Arcane
What is it with them switching the third voice for the lady boss every game anyway? The second game has a Latina, the third hasa Russian and the fourth has a French boss. The White and Black voices are a constant so far, both for the male and female boss.

Seerix

Arbiter
Actually, third game didn't had the black chick voice. SR4 has it but she sounds most of the time as if she was high.

Cool name

Arcane
How can anyone miss these characters? Utterly one-dimensional and generic.

They are a pretty fun and quirky and memorable bunch of one-dimensional characters instead of the usual pretentious and melodramatic and utterly 'meh' bunch of one-dimensional assholes to be found in games. That has to amount to something.

Volition have said that the next installment, if there is one, will be a reboot - whatever form it takes, this is the end of the Boss' story. It's probably for the best.

No proper Gangstas in Space? Dreams = Crushed. :(

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I like to think that they eventually became Freespace's Shivans, mutated by centuries of drinking Saints Flow. The last splinter of a dying race cross the cosmos in desperate search for a home, accompanied only by sick rims and the greatest hits of the 80s

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How can anyone miss these characters? Utterly one-dimensional and generic.

They are a pretty fun and quirky and memorable bunch of one-dimensional characters instead of the usual pretentious and melodramatic and utterly 'meh' bunch of one-dimensional assholes to be found in games. That has to amount to something.

Volition have said that the next installment, if there is one, will be a reboot - whatever form it takes, this is the end of the Boss' story. It's probably for the best.

Fuck yeah, I am Black Cat's alt after all!

:P

Indranys

Savant
Finished the game and here's some rundown of things:
SR4 was fun but I like SR2 stuffs better.
We already discuss this shit to death man.
Unfortunately the old SR series are gone, no more San Andreas clones with great details, cool bros like Johnny Gat, and the holy balance of dramas & comedies.
Can't blame Volition though, retarded shits make millions nowadays, so that's the direction they took since SRTT. Plus they don't have to compete with the new serious grimdark GTA anymore.
The last bastion of San Andreas clones is gone apparently. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom