Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sam 'n' Max: S1

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
With the recent Sam 'n' Max series finally going on sale in one box, I was wondering if anyone from the Codex has given them a decent go, and if so what's the general take? Up to the standard? Flawed but worth it? Bone?

I cannot form opinions of my own, and need yours implanting onto me so I can experience them vicariously.
Go.

Texas Red

Whiner
I thought this thread was about Bluebottle's pathetic attempts courting this girl Sam and general misunderstanding of the opposite sex.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wasn't the Sam & Max cartoon geared towards young children?

Cycloptis

Scholar
I played through the first two episodes thus far.

The puzzles are not up to classic Lucasarts standards, and for most they'll probably be a breeze.

It's quite a funny game in my opinion, and apparently it gets considerably better as the season continues.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Are we talking about the adventure games by Telltale games?

If so, I've played through the first 4 episodes. While it doesn't feel up to snuff with the Sierra/Lucas Arts classics, it's definitely a solid offering. The games are pretty easy difficulty-wise, but I enjoyed playing through them mostly for the dialouge. The episodes seem short, but since you're getting 6 for $35 I guess it's not a bad deal.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
The episodes seem short, but since you're getting 6 for $35 I guess it's not a bad deal.

That's what I heard, so I was waiting till they put them all as one package to check it out (plus I've just been through a classic Lucasarts adventure binge of late and need something to fill the void). I was probably going to check them out, as there isn't really that much to compete with them, but then I'd heard Bone was really lackluster which had made me think twice.

I thought this thread was about Bluebottle's pathetic attempts courting this girl Sam and general misunderstanding of the opposite sex.

That too. Any advice will be repaid in clumsy sexual favours*.

*edit - Transportation and accomadation to be supplied by recipient.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I stopped after the third episode, I should pick it up again. It is funny, and the writing is generally good, but the puzzles are lacking, and the third in particular there's maybe two puzzles

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I played the demos. The price for the full boxed set is a bit high in Poland, so perhaps I'll skip the glorious Polish bilingual DVD edition with many extras and just join GameTap when it comes to Europe later this year.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
They're no Monkey Island, but the first three episodes were good enough for me to buy the next three instantly when I was finished.

They are super easy and pretty short, naturally. I'm not sure how exactly the whole season measures up against a whole "normal" adventure. Not too badly, I suppose. You can finish most adventures pretty fast if you know the solution to all puzzles, and playing Sam&Max Episodes is a bit like that. They're really that easy and the world is pretty small, so even if you're stuck and have to look around for something you missed, it won't take very long.
Still, I don't regret the money I spent and I always like to switch on the TV and see what's on.

psycojester

Arbiter
Also worthy of note, the Max song from the credits to ep 5 was brilliant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom