Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Sands of Space - sci-fi turn-based RPG (in development)

dmonin

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Make the Codex Great Again!
Hi guys!

Still working on props and locations and I want to share with you some basic game mechanics.

Basic Characteristics

There are seven of them so far. Below, short description each of them:
  1. Strength - influence on weapons, lockpick (you can use the strength on all locks), hand-to-hand combat and throwing weapons
  2. Constitution - effects on the health points, the number of implants and its work, and a little bit on PSI abilities
  3. Intellect - impact on the conversation, the overall impact on the characteristics, getting the level
  4. Fortune - in some way the impact on all (you know what actually fortune means)
  5. Intuition - influence on the view range, the range of fire, and the combat queue, speech skills
  6. Dexterity – action points in combat, armor, skills to sneak/steal
  7. Will – PSI abilities

All these basic characteristics affect on one or another skills group. In general, everything is standard here.

PSI

As you can see from the screenshot, I’m planning three types of PSI skills:

1. Bio-PK - Combat / organic only
  2. Cyb-PK - Combat / not organic (cyber)
  3. Telepathy - Not combat

Bio psychokinesis acts only on organic (bleeding from the eyes, intimidating, diarrhea etc.).
The cyber psychokinesis acts only on non-organic (for example - you can hack a robot (or some machine) during the combat and it will stand on your side for several turns)
Telepathy it’s not combat skills, it’s player’s abilities - for example, to uncover the fog of war in a closed room for a few seconds.
Only the Androids and Cyborgs will be apart, because it is both organic and mechanic, so some PSI from cyb and bio can be applied on them. But not all.
PSI are directly dependent on implants and Will characteristic. By default, all PSI are available for the player, but it can be used only if player has an implant - PSI booster.

Combat

The math of combat is quite simple. Almost all standard variables for RPG in general:

1. Distance from the shooter to the target (0.1 to n) - example - 29m
  2. Comfortable range of the weapon (0.1 / n) - an example - 0.1 / 20 meters
  3. Weapon Damage Range (a/b) - Example 10/15
  4. The luck factor (Fortune from 1 to 12), affects the misfires and critical hits - example 6
  5. The skill factor, percent (from 10 to 300)

combat.png

The last but not least - obstacles also calculated. The NPC has three points and player too - the head, torso and legs. If one of the points is not visible, then the chance of hit falls. And the last check is type of armor.
If the armor is a full kit (like Power Armor), then it is considered like minimum open areas. And if there are different parts of the armor, that more open areas are.

Random Locations Generation

In generally I’m planning that the locations will be static. Randomization will be only when the player will found/buy/steal the coordinates of the unopened bunker or place. In this way the location will be generated randomly. This, I guess will bring some kind of dynamics to the game. And the loot and the size of the bunkers will depend on Fortune obviously. All other locations will be static.

It’s going to be an open world, so the player can travel the entire planet as he wishes. But in some places player with low level can have anal punish. I promise.

P.S.:

And some NPC avatars:

avas.png

Unwanted

Bladeract

It's Neckbeard Shitlord. Again.
Dumbfuck
For a second I really thought this would be a space RPG featuring Dr. Clyde Winters and almost had a stroke :lol:

dmonin

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Thanks guys! Do my best!

For a second I really thought this would be a space RPG featuring Dr. Clyde Winters and almost had a stroke :lol:
Hehe...

You should make a paypal account for donations.
Thanks, but I think its to soon for this. As I say before at first I'm planing to release small part of the game for free. Some kind of playable teaser.

dmonin

Arcane
Patron
Developer
So, you mean, like, a demo??????
Hi!

Actually it will be more than just a demo. It's a small game with it's own story for 2-3 hours play. I can't say when because I'm indie (so no any promises ha-ha) but if everything gonna be ok then it will be in this year.

dmonin

Arcane
Patron
Developer
WIP and small bump that project still alive.

Small props. I haven't finished texturing all of them that I have. This is only 1/3 of my models that I have done.

10.png

11.png

13.png

Thanks!

dmonin

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Thanks guys!

That's true! Thanks for posting! Now I'm working on a vehicle fleet. And this is, I would say, not so easy as I thought.

So, 'Interceptor' model is finished for now! Here, the variations of this model that you can see in the game.

Lil history of this model: Interceptor originally planned as a low-cost car for local security agencies. Fast, with low maintenance and easy to repair. Later, this model was modified for different needs - like taxi. Also this type of car was mafia bosses favorite.

Small fact. All vehicles in S.o.S. are dangerous. Not only vehicles, also all equipment and mechanisms. If you go next to a car then there is a probability that the alarm system will turn on. Then the enemies will notice you. The alarm function on the cars is randomly, so it will be useless to remember. You should think carefully to think through your way if you don't want to be noticed.

18.png

19.png

20.png

21.png

22.png

Bocian

Arcane
Awesome car models, though I think you should tone it down with the paint job, so they'd look more mundane, at least most of them.

norolim

Arcane
I like the car design, too. I assume, the old description that you play as a "black archaeologist" is no longer accurate?

dmonin

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Thanks guys!

I assume, the old description that you play as a "black archaeologist" is no longer accurate?

Actually not. I just made a little polish of the description. It's still "black archaeologist" but now it's named "artifact hunter". Not all understand what "black archaeologist" means.

I'm still in 'love' with models and texturing. I'll show my progress when I finish most of them cause to show only by one model is a little bit tediousness I guess. And I hope it gonna be a video not just a lonely screenshots.
Two ambient tracks for new locations have done already. And icons for all 7 characteristics also have been done too. So I think it's will be better to show all those things in video with full gameplay instead of screenshots.

norolim

Arcane
Thanks guys!

I assume, the old description that you play as a "black archaeologist" is no longer accurate?
Not all understand what "black archaeologist" means.

Yes, especially if you meant черный копатель instead of this:
veQ9MX5.png
:smug:

Glad you changed it. Btw, "tomb raider" is also a valid translation, but for obvious reasons, it might not be a good idea to use it in a game, that is not about a busty dark haired girl.

dmonin

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Btw, "tomb raider" is also a valid translation
It's copyrighted. I can't use it.

Treasure hunter?
Good one.

The main idea is that you can get a lot of credits for the old detail of soviet sputnik or similar stuff on the black market. So between nighthawk and artifact hunter I chose the second one.

dmonin

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Scavenger also fits.

Thats true! But I have fraction named Scavengers in the game. They are using drones to find old abandoned bunkers, vaults and mines on the planet and sell coordinates of them.
The player can buy this maps with coordinates and explore them and get some loot. It will be random generated locations not a static. Only location like this will be random generated. All other locations with a quest line will be static.

So Scavengers are local planet fraction. And Artifact Hunters have more global meaning and they are mostly work in space generally. I don't wanna mix this fractions together in one name.

And here is the Scavenger car model with extra fuel. If you wanna get in a far away destination you should buy car like this.

23.png

26.png

25.png

24.png

dmonin

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Tomb rider -> Grave robber?

Interesting but I think the Artifact Hunter is more suitable. But anyway good suggestion!

Already posted in Codex Workshop

28.png

Just finished those heads!

Also I thinking to split Speech skill into three skills such as Persuasion, Intimidation, Deception. But I need more time to play with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom