Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sapkowski demands CDPR pay him more

Paul_cz

Arcane
All the 12 year old fangirls of CDPR still defend CDPR i see... Makes sense. After all, they only played Witcher 3 on their PS4s and suddenly they became fans... Books? LOL. That is why they don't respect the guy who invented the whole fucking thing...

Bester has said MANY truths in this thread. It is funny seeing how capitalist spoiled brats hate capitalist laws when they don't suit their fancy... Capitalism for them is only good if it allows the US to exploit the third world so they can live relatively rich lifestyles while producing nothing of value. When someone does produce something of value, a whole fantasy franchise millions of people enjoy, then it is unfair to demand more than a few months salary for his work, all the while those who exploit his work get to have their lamborghinis, the yachts, the top model women, and the coke. LOL.
You really are a fucking moron.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
All the 12 year old fangirls of CDPR still defend CDPR i see... Makes sense. After all, they only played Witcher 3 on their PS4s and suddenly they became fans... Books? LOL. That is why they don't respect the guy who invented the whole fucking thing...

Bester has said MANY truths in this thread. It is funny seeing how capitalist spoiled brats hate capitalist laws when they don't suit their fancy... Capitalism for them is only good if it allows the US to exploit the third world so they can live relatively rich lifestyles while producing nothing of value. When someone does produce something of value, a whole fantasy franchise millions of people enjoy, then it is unfair to demand more than a few months salary for his work, all the while those who exploit his work get to have their lamborghinis, the yachts, the top model women, and the coke. LOL.
Cry me a river.

Sapkowski created the world of Witcher and he reaps the benefits of that with his book publishing. He is a best selling author in Poland, and THANKS TO THE VIDEOGAMES he sold a shit ton of book abroad. So I think he already has a lot of money. The success of The Witcher 3, which people enjoy immensely, on the other hand has nothing to do with Sapkowski, he didn't contribute to the story, the gameplay, the visuals. The only way they exploit his work is they use the geography and backstory of the witcher world, and a few important characters. Everything else was written and created by CDPR. So it's not like Sapkowski contributed months of his life working on the game.

Also most of the "capitalist spoiled brats" (as you called them) actually agree that by the definition of law, his claim has merits. It's just his idiotic attitude and personality which make people angry, and that's why they wouldn't give him a penny if it were up to them.

Master

Arbiter
Sapkowski at least didnt create the Keyran boss fight. I dont know how shitty his writing would have to be to reach that level of pure retarded decline. I hope he runs CDP into the ground, for that alone. Or that scene, when you run away from the dragon. Of course, they later had to outdo themselves with TW3, an open world witcher game, where you run around the countryside. You can even swim in rivers and ponds, even while wearing armor. Was that shit necessary? Just... why? I swear, its the kind of thing that makes you want to take all your precious game collection, PSTorment including, throw it in a barrel and burn it. Then take an hour long shower to wash away the stench of this shitty medium. God, i hope he runs them into the fucking ground.

mondblut

Arcane
I love Witcher books, respect Sapkowski as individual and couldn't care less about CRPR and the twitcher games - but he totally pwned himself there. Nobody owes him anything beyond what he willingly agreed to in a contract he has signed.

Squid

Arbiter
The only way he gets anything from this is if the contract was written differently than we thought it was. If CD Projekt is only allowed to make one game, then they're in trouble. Otherwise Sapkowski is likely not gonna get anything. Old people and their lack of faith in things they're not familiar with.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I love Witcher books, respect Sapkowski as individual and couldn't care less about CRPR and the twitcher games - but he totally pwned himself there. Nobody owes him anything beyond what he willingly agreed to in a contract he has signed.
Except if the law says otherwise.
Guys, you really don't know what exactly went between him and CDPR, you haven't seen the actual contracts between the two parties involved and you don't know shit about polish law on those thing. All you know is PR, speculation, unsupported claims made by one or the other side involved. And a lot of nonsense. And when saying "you" - I include myself as well.
We really know jack shit. All this is ignorant speculation.
Also completely irrelevant to anything, the next CDPR game isn't even a Witcher game so who cares*.

*Not that I care about any of their games but some Codexers might.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
1452257622-giphy.gif

Gerrard

Arcane
Article 46(1) of Spain’s Ley de Propiedad Intelectual is similar to France’s law in so far as it provides that an author transferring rights shall receive “a proportionate share in the proceeds of exploitation, the amount of which shall be agreed upon with the transferee.”96 The retail price of copies of a work or performance tickets (less value-added tax) usually constitutes the basis upon which a proportionate share is determined.97 A so-called “bestseller” clause of this sort exists in at least five countries of the European Union, including France as described above, Belgium and Spain, but generally only allows modification of the contract where the author has been paid a lump sum disproportionate to the revenues received by the producer.98 This provides a potential remedy for the author who has signed a “buy out” contract and is therefore unable, on the basis of that contract, to benefit from a big success of his or her work in the marketplace. At least in some countries, including Belgium and Poland, a statutory provision requiring publishers and holders of performance rights to provide accountings assists authors in obtaining benefit from the bestseller clause.99 According to Hugenholtz, Germany’s bestseller clause did not apply to creators in all sectors and the courts were reluctant to find a gross disproportion.100

In Germany, after a fierce, protracted battle between creators and publishers, the German Copyright Act was amended in 2002 for the purpose of “strengthening the contractual positions of authors and performers” (Amendment).101 This Amendment was designed to redress the structural imbalance in contractual relationships between creators and their licensees and reflected the fact that “freedom of contract” is illusory when the parties to an agreement have grossly disproportionate economic strength. Dietz makes the following related observation:
Yeah CDPR, better take it to the EU supreme court!
:mca:

Guys, you really don't know what exactly went between him and CDPR, you haven't seen the actual contracts between the two parties involved and you don't know shit about polish law on those thing. All you know is PR, speculation, unsupported claims made by one or the other side involved. And a lot of nonsense. And when saying "you" - I include myself as well.

We know the law status, author is perceived by legislator as the weaker party of contract so copyright act gives his right special protections just like in case of employer-employee or entrepreneur-consumer.

Art. 44 of copyright act states as following:

In case of blatant disproportion between author's payment and IP buyer's (or licensee's) profits, the author is allowed to demand increasing his payment by the court.

Sapkowski made a contract in times when video game industry wasn't as huge as before, none of polish products was big hit on foreign markets plus The Wicher movie was terrible flop.

Nowyadays, TW is one of the best selling current franchises so comparing is status from the moment of signing the contract, it advanced from risk of total failure to billionaire paradise. If such kind of disproporion isn't blatan then what is?

I'm not talking about the morality etc. but regulations gives Sapkowski very strong basis for its claim and CDPR will due anything to stop his demanding with ultimate settlement.

As I said before, AS has already won, question is how big his victory will be.

Gerrard

Arcane
The thing I like the most is all the brainlets calling this law bad. Even better when they imply it's communist or soviet in origin.
:deathclaw:

passerby

Arcane
It's indeed not soviet in origin but EU SocJus, article in question is from 2015 and most member states have rights like this by now as a result of some EU directives ( info from the comments on that lawyer youtube video ).
Explains why he didn't sue earlier, so much for the laws not working backwards...

Yeah 10k is pitful, but cocky grumpy bastard refused any kind royalties only to humiliate the silly nerds, for his amusement.
What if the amount was different, what if they took an enormous risk and give up half the assets they have had and paid him 100k ?
According to this law it wouldn't matter.

Well I'm a brainlet that calls nanny state interferring with grown up people businesses and changing deals for them decade later bad.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
We really know jack shit. All this is ignorant speculation.

Well, he either wanted to receive royalties, or he wanted only for money up front when selling the rights - and he willingly admits to the later.

If polish law may step in to retroactively change an agreement willingly concluded between two parties because muh fairness and opression, then these closet commies clearly should have spent a few generations more in soviet gulags. A lesson to everyone not to sign any contracts on polish soil, forever and ever.

mondblut

Arcane
It's indeed not soviet in origin but EU SocJus, article in question is from 2015 and most member states have rights like this by now as a result of some EU directives ( info from the comments on that lawyer youtube video ).

I, for one, would love it when muslim hordes finally torch the fucking EU to the ground. Fuck this commie abomination.

Don't spread bullshit based on youtube comments (lulz), article 44 remained unchange since copyright act was introducted in 1994, ten years before Poland joined the EU.

Source:

http://prawo.sejm.gov.pl/isap.nsf/DocDetails.xsp?id=WDU19940240083

Original version of act is in: D19940083.pdf

Even better when they imply it's communist or soviet in origin.

It's not. In soviet years ('till 89) copyrights law didn't exist at all.

Last edited:

passerby

Arcane
Don't spread bullshit based on youtube comments (lulz), article 44 remained unchange since copyright act was introducted in 1994, ten years before Poland joined the EU.

This is why I've mentioned what unreliable "source" of the news was, but lesson learned.
Part about most EU states having simillar laws is probably true though, Polish legislators had to be inspired somewhere.

Edit:
Also, the comment was from German who said thay have similar law and that there was a EU directive in 2015 to push similar legislation to all member states.
So I was caried away with some assumptions, but that comment about EU can still be true.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom