Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Satellite Reign pre-alpha gameplay footage released

spectre

Arcane
Hmm, looks like syndicate with an awful lot of cover shooting.
Dkiw.jpg

The gameplay will most likely be refined, at the moment it has a weird 1990s RTS vibe, but the city itself looks good.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
they gotta get rid of that god-awful camera-wobbling

Misconnected

Savant
1990s RTS vibe? My first thought was Dawn of War 2, just with added slow and jitter.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
wat. it has classes, sticky cover and friggin abilities, just like dow2.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
more like you don't know what popamole means. syndicate had no sticky cover, thus no popping out of it or popping moles popping out of their cover ergo no popamole. it was very shoot'em up, but not popamole.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yeah, hugely different. Instead Syndicate had popacorner. And also cover, 'cept you couldn't crouch behind it. But that's why you had the meat shields.

But anyway, hopefully the cover at least will be destructible (or enemy has guns that shoot through it).

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Instead Syndicate had popacorner.
you would need enemies that actually hide behind corners for that, not goons that run straight at you then just stand there firing while your zerg swarm of armed civs takes them apart.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
more like you don't know what popamole means. syndicate had no sticky cover, thus no popping out of it or popping moles popping out of their cover ergo no popamole. it was very shoot'em up, but not popamole.

This is not an FPS, this is an overhead Tactical Sqad game. The same rules don't apply. Are you saying they should do away with cover? Instead your men should stand there and tank 500 bullets before going down?
They aren't Medieval ninjas. Cover is an essential part of fighting with guns.

It doesn't mean it's going to devolve into :popamole: ad infinitum.

Dead Guy

Cipher
No, they're not some pussy ninjas. They're fucking Cyborgs. Chest V3 is the only cover they need.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I don't know why they brought back minigun if they are going for cover shooting. Also, I hope there will be degrading/piercable cover?

Direwolf

Arcane
From the gameplay point of view, cover sucks, but from logical point of view, you would want to hide behind something in a firefight.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What is the problem with cover (except that we have it in every game nowadays)? It gives some purpose to flanking, making positionning a bit more involved than bringing more people in range of the closest enemies than the opponent can, which sounds like a good thing. It was done rather nicely in DoW2 and Company of Heroes IMO. The problem was with boring bosses and their 30000 HPs, and linear maps that were a succession of mini skirmishes and not a single large scale dynamic battle. Cover was certainly not a problem in the formula.

spectre

Arcane
Cover only sucks when it produces popamole gameplay, which is only a problem in FPS where you are essentially just one guy vs. many and any sort of flanking is irrelevant.

After some though, it seems that the style is there (which for me was the only thing Syndicate had going), but it is going to be a totally different game. Which is good.
80% of original Syndicate gameplay is: concentrate your RMB clicks of death on the biggest threat at hand, stunlock until dead.

I don't know why they brought back minigun if they are going for cover shooting.
Suppressive fire? One can hope.

Syndicate Wars already had destructible environment so I really do hope so.
They have reached the pledge goal for destructible environments on kickstarter, the question is how far will they go with it.
With some luck, they'll figure out some sort of middle ground between using the cover to achieve some tactical depth and not throw the whole system out of the window with graviton gun equivalents which would make all cover obsolete.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll be curious if there will be surprises like the satellite attack in Rome in Syndicate Wars, followed by the robo spiders of doom.
Having the house blasted away over your head, in which you were hiding was also a nice reminder to never feel too save.
Also, I can't remember how often I used nuclear hand-grenades in questionable plans.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I don't know why they brought back minigun if they are going for cover shooting.
Suppressive fire? One can hope.
That's what normal machine guns are for. Miniguns are for delivering as many projectiles per second as it's possible. For example to chew up a cyborg or destroy a car in a few seconds.
They already didn't make sense when they got nerfed in Syndicate Wars where cars could withstand ridiculous amount of fire.

After some though, it seems that the style is there (which for me was the only thing Syndicate had going), but it is going to be a totally different game. Which is good.
80% of original Syndicate gameplay is: concentrate your RMB clicks of death on the biggest threat at hand, stunlock until dead.
Actually, it was usually set IPA levels to maximum and find a good spot and watch your agents do the killing. Or find a good spot and burn enemies with flamethrowers. It was mostly about positioning to avoid getting overwhelmed.
Enemy agents usually had homogeneous equipment so there wasn't biggest threat at hand to pick.

By the way, I made a video of Syndicate in action:
https://archive.org/details/DigitalSlaughter-Syndicate_001
It shows effects of minigun on vehicles.

Delbaeth

Learned
I hope that some mind control devices or propaganda will be available in the game.

I didin't know there was a spiritual successor to Syndicate Wars. Thank you Kickstarter and thank you Unity!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom